Preferential attraction among gays?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Zel C.
    I am gay and tend to seek out white men only, even though I'm black. Is it normal for a gay male who is a minority to be attracted to a male not of his own race? I feel this is a dumb question but I have nowhere else to turn.

User Detail :  

Name : Zel C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James D.
    I don't think it's abnormal to be attracted to a particular kind of person. I am white and like Hispanic men best, have dated both black and white men, and am not attracted to redheads. Go figure. Some gay men only like "bears," some only like "fems." And I know a few black men who only date white men. It's no big deal.

User Detail :  

Name : James D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 47, City : Summit, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

gina21693
    Participant
    well i am a female but i understand your view. I also have a thing abut gay guys in fact i love being around them. so i FEEL YOU.

User Detail :  

Name : gina21693, City : dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

Bob
    Participant
    Hi J. The only thing I would ask myself is if I am only attracted to white men because of some underlying dislike for myself. I know it sounds confusing, but I am Mexican, for the longest time I was only attracted to white men. Later in life I realized it was a result of internalized racism, I though only white was beautiful. So over the past few years I have found myself being attracted to many different men. This is also true for me in regards to weight. I am heavier set and I used to really dislike myself because of it and would only be attracted to thinner guys. Now I am ok with the way I look and have found myself attracted to guys in all shapes.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Native American, Age : 32, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Higher Education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

bj tillman
    As a 35 year old Black male, I'm concerned when a black gay man or anyone for that matter is exclusively attracted to those outside of their own racial/ethnic groups. It makes me wonder if the person had an especially bad relationship with their father/step-father. One might also ask if you were molested by a black man? On the other hand, attraction is almost inexplicable...so go for what you like, just don't turn your back completely on your own black brothers. peace, bj

User Detail :  

Name : bj tillman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail24489
    Participant
    Unless you believe you have some revulsion toward your own race, don't worry about it. Personally, I have an attraction to short women.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail24489, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Wesley
    Participant
    I am white and only attracted to black guys. I dont think its abnormal for you to look outside your race for a partner

User Detail :  

Name : Wesley, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 20, City : Naples, Italy, State : NA Country : Italy, Occupation : Government, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Carl S.
    Participant
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm a gay, black male, and I have the same preference. To me, having a preference is one thing, but my preference doesn't stop me from interacting with or being attracted to black guys. It's just that white guys are my first choice, not my only choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Carl S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AC
    Participant
    I am a black male also and I dont think it is normal for anyone to be attracted to one race. When you say that, you are saying you are attracted to one skin color. Alot of the time it is not that person's fault. It is society that glamourizes white people on TV, posters, etc. and we tend to follow that. There could be white people out there that look exactly like white people but a different skin color. Would you pick one over the other because of the color? Some people say because most black act 'this way' or 'that way', which is a stereo-type. I think you should try to get past the color of the skin. You may not have met a black man whose physical features you are attracted to but all people come in different shapes and sizes. You may meet that black person who has the same features as a white man you are attracted to, so try not to look JUST at the skin color. It is hard sometimes when that is all you see being glamourized. I know you can do it.

User Detail :  

Name : AC, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Erik
    Participant
    I know NUMEROUS straight black men who prefer white women. I don't see a difference between them and you.

User Detail :  

Name : Erik, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Hilton Head, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : server, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Daniel
    Participant
    This is pretty common. I know many black gay men who are attracted to white men exclusively. As a white gay man, I am attracted to black men... not in exclusively, but as in general. It is just a personal preference.

User Detail :  

Name : Daniel, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Greg
    I feel this is a tricky question. For the most part, I feel this isn't an issue. People are attracted to various other people for many many reasons, and if you are attracted to white guys moreso than black guys (despite being black) it's your choice, whether it be because of a particular feature you find more endearing, attractive, or whatever. There can be certain problems, though. I'm white, but to be honest, I prefer Asian guys. I don't know why. It's not because of anything like they're 'exotic' or anything that a lot of white guys like about Asian girls, but I just find Asian guys more attractive most of the time. The problem is, people like me have often been under attack as so-called 'Rice Queens,' and having fetishistic notions about 'white dominance over the Asian race.' Personally, I don't feel this describes the way I feel, but sad to say, I've seen it in others. A lot of white gays and gay Asians don't date other Asians because of sexualized racism and the media-touted idea that 'white' in America is the standard of beauty (e.g., when was the last time you saw an Asian in A&F's catalogue?). Then again, some Asians are so rabidly Anti-white (because they take the opposite extreme) that they become so-called 'sticky rice,' but sometimes for the same bizzare fetishistic reasons they accuse the white guys of (I've met them too). If you ask me, you like who you like, and most people are smart enough to evaluate themselves on their motives for doing so. If you find yourself unhappy in a relationship because you feel you were being the victim of a racist fetish, THEN LEAVE the guy! That is all.

User Detail :  

Name : Greg, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Charlottesville, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brian H
    Participant
    I think the reasons why we're attracted to people of certain races, skin tones, physical types, etc. is something very difficult to explain. Whether one is gay or straight, we like what-we-like and we usually know what that is. I don't believe there is any right or wrong about it. Some people are attracted to the opposite of themselves. Some are attracted to someone who resembles either their father or mother's physical attributes or personality. Some may be attracted to the type of person seen as a 'trophy'or a 'taboo' for their race. For example: The black man who desires the blonde white blue-eyed woman, or the white woman who desires the hot latino or latina. I remember reading about the time Sammy Davis, Jr. married actress May Britt. A lot of people's toupées blew off in white society. I am a 'white' 'gay' male. I'm generally attracted to men of darker complexion like 'Latin' 'Hispanic', Italian men more than black or 'African American' and 'white' men. Why? I'm not sure. I can tell you that I have not always been exclusively attracted to those types of guys. I think Will Smith is one fine lookin' man. If he were gay and right here at my place, there'd be somethin'goin-awn!

User Detail :  

Name : Brian H, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Spritiual, non-practicing Catholic, Age : 40, City : West Hollywood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Actor & Web designer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rich
    This is a huge controversy in gay communities, and I'm sure you're aware that Black men or women who date white men or women is a huge controversy too. Certainly gay men being attracted to other men of some races but not others is common. You have to ask yourself why you are attracted to white men and not Black men. Is it aesthetic, or is it some kind of internalized racism? That's hard to answer, I'm sure. Are you attracted to men of other races? That's worth exploring. Anyhow, who cares what's 'normal?' Why not try to understand yourself? For myself, I'm attracted to some white men, Black men and latino men, a few Asians (usually not, who knows why?), an American Indian sometimes, and once or twice a woman!

User Detail :  

Name : Rich, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 46, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

jc
    Participant
    Wow. I have much experience with this issue. I'm GWM who started being attracted to black, hispanic, and asian men after age 30 or so. White-only before that. It's important to note the attraction is to certain individuals, NOT to all men of a given skin color, but a select few and I imagine you are the same. So, in reality, skin, eye, hair color is only a part of the formula of attraction. If I remember correctly this is analyzed by those who write about 'aesthetics' which covers the question 'what is beauty?' Each individual has their concept of beauty. Yours more involves lighter skin, eye color, and hair color. This is your reality for now so run with it. It likely will change some as you grow older. B.T.W. there are many white men attracted to black men but my social experience is that a lot of them tend to be a little older. To reiterate one key point: the attraction is to an individual, not a race. It's important to make this clear when you meet a beau :-)

User Detail :  

Name : jc, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 44, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.