Poking fun

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Melissa20778
    Participant
    Why is it a big deal for some people to make fun of someone with disablities?

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa20778, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 19, City : Middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    For the same reason somebody won't yell 'hooray' at your funeral: it's insensitive and dishonorable behavior. People with disabilities do not have life very easy. Many of us complain about bad hair days, acne, cold sores, broken nails or chipped teeth, but imagine if you had spina bifida or multiple sclerosis to deal with every day until a cure was found. These are some extraordinary people who must be very tough mentally to put up with their daily struggles and difficulties.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Ed. Admin. and Law School Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kristina
    How would you like to be made fun of because you're a female? Or because you're white? Or because you're middle class and not rich? You wouldn't like it at all, and a disabled person doesn't like to be made fun of, either. It is wrong and insensitive to make fun of differences that people cannot help. And anyone who would do such a thing is showing cowardly behavior, because they know the disabled person is weak and unable to verbally or physically fight back. My brother (who has mental retardation and cerebral palsy) has had to deal with bullies like that; people who would pick fights with him or push him down on the floor because he's disabled. When we go out, people are always staring - some may even comment, calling him 'dumb' or whatever. And what did my brother do to them? Absolutely nothing. The bottom line is a person should treat another person with respect. A person with disabilities should have the same opportunities as a person without, and they shouldn't have to undergo harrassment because nature made them different. Doing anything otherwise would be barbaric and uncivilized.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Stacey27920
    Participant
    I think I interpreted your question differently from the first person who responded. The way I read it, you're asking why some people seem to feel the need to make fun of people who have disabilities. My response would be that for whatever reason, some people seem to feel better about themselves if they can put other people down. It's a hierarchy in which people make fun of those 'below' (or sometimes 'above') them in a given area, whether it be ability or socioeconomic class or whatever. The mentality is something to the effect of: 'Wow, look at them. What if that was me? It's a good thing I'm not like them. I hope everybody realizes I'm not like them. I know - I'll show everybody how far I am from being like that person.' And then come the taunts and rude remarks. It sounds harsh and illogical, but it's a way to deal with insecurities, and it happens time and time again.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey27920, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Durham, State : NH Country : United States, Occupation : college student, 

Mark
    Participant
    A 14-year-old male I know has an older sister who is physically and mentally challenged. She can't live on her own, and never will have a normal life. The brother has this tendency to mimic her behavior, and that of retarded people in general. I'm sure he's not making fun of his sister; he just thinks it's funny the way they talk. I think it's part of a normal humor development for younger males, to find humor in things, then realize why they may not be so funny. Kind of like most things at that age, 'defining boundaries' could sum up my argument, at least as far as adolescents making fun of disabled people goes.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 24, City : Western North Carolina, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Lindsey
    I have grown up with a brother who has learning disabilities and find it repulsive that you would ask such a question. Everybody has things that can be made fun of, and I can guarantee you will not tell me that you like it when others poke fun at you. Someone with a disability cannot control it and did nothing wrong to obtain such a challenge. Their lives are already difficult enough without people insulting them and putting them down because of their challenge.

It's like if you get a bad haircut: you hate your new haircut enough and don't need someone to come and tell you it looks horrible on top of that. Instead of helping people with challenges and having empathy, you hurt them to feel better about yourself. In the end you will not feel better about dissing others rather than helping them. Just because someone has a disability doesn't mean they don't have feelings, and I can bet you that most challenged people would rather not have that challenge. Don't be heartless and ignorant. Show compassion.

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Debbie J.
    Participant
    Disability often makes a person physically weak, so emotional damage from abuse because of their disability can cause more weakening of systems needed to fight disease or injury, and even slow or prevent any possible healing. As to why people treat disabled people, or anyone, badly, I wish I knew. Too many people treat others badly to build themselves up, but I just think about how low they must be in the first place to think that kind of behavior is good for them, or anyone.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbie J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Lupus, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 61, City : Arizona City, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Columnist, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Max B.
    Participant
    I will be the first person to admit that I have heard some good ones about people with disabilities, even though I am from this community and use a wheelchair. A good laugh is always needed. Some points: You do not hear of a disabled culture in the same sense as African Americans or Native Americans. Why? Because people with disabilities work, play and sleep wanting to be accepted by the society around them as being capable and able to function like everyone else. Not as heroes, but everyday citizens. Jokes about disabled people are a clear indication to disabled people that we are not part of society. People view us by our issues or illness. This is the same argument you hear from African Americans about jokes that affect them.

User Detail :  

Name : Max B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Ottawa, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Human Resources, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Glen21699
    Participant
    Being disabled and knowing lots of other disabled people, I agree with the responses to this question. Two important points have been raised here. The first is obvious: You wouldn't want to be poked fun at yourself, so there's no reason to do it. A second point was also raised, though. It is necessary to have a laugh about it in the right circumstances. It's not easy having a disability, and being able to laugh sensibly about it sometimes can be helpful. But rude and insensitive comments are not necessary.

User Detail :  

Name : Glen21699, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Exeter, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, 

Ron R.
    I had polio at age 4. My arm is atrophied. Most of the ridicule I've experienced has been after I have, wittingly or not, pissed somebody off. They will, if they are dishonorable, go straight for any obvious handicap. I will guarantee you that people mock you because they fear you in some way. Bet on it. Get up in their face. They WILL back down.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron R., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 53, City : Los Lunas, State : NM Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ron R.
    I had polio at age 4. My arm is atrophied. Most of the ridicule I've experienced has been after I have, wittingly or not, pi**ed somebody off. They will, if they are dishonorable, go straight for any obvious handicap. I will guarantee you that people mock you because they fear you in some way. Bet on it. Get up in their face. They WILL back down.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron R., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 53, City : Los Lunas, State : NM Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    I heard when I was growing up that ppl who make fun of others do it because they have no or low self esteem and it makes them feel superior. I didn't believe it then, because I thought I liked myself. I later found out that I had no self esteem and when I learned to love myself, I stopped making fun of others. That said, we medical ppl have a sick sense of humor and one could say we're making fun of ppl. Yeah, sometimes, but mostly we're blowing off our frustrations for a thankless job.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.