Paycheck Doesn’t Reflect Worth

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Cil
    I am a white 43-year-old female who has taught preschool for about 20 years. Why is the occupation of teaching young children so low-paying? In my humble opinion, it is a highly skilled and sometimes stressful (though rewarding) job. Is the pay low solely because early childhood education is pretty much a tradionally female occupation? Or perhaps does the low pay pertain to society's low value of children? I'm told that good childcare is expensive. I teach at a very good preschool, but I do not think anyone in particular is pocketing much money.
    Original Code O36. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Cil, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 43, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Preschool Teacher, 

Kim26373
    Participant
    I think you don't earn as much money as people in many different occupations who have the same amount of educatio because society does not put that much importance on traditional "women's work." Look at other traditional "women's work" (except exotic dancing) and you'll see that women do not earn much. Some examples include nursing, social work and counseling. The work often entails "caring" and emotional involvement, and that is not as important as, say, calculating taxes. It will be a fine day when you are rewarded for your very demanding work with a reasonable salary.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim26373, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.