Older people staring at me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Mary20836
    Participant
    Why do older people stare so much? I've walked into restaraunts and stores and have been stared at the whole time I was there by some old man or lady with their mouth dropped open. I got so aggravated one time I told a lady to take a picture it will last longer. I'm of average weight and average looks. In my opinion there is nothing really to stare at. Does anyone else have this problem with senior citizans?

User Detail :  

Name : Mary20836, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Springfield, State : VT Country : United States, Occupation : massage therapist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CrystalRainbeaux
    Participant
    Please don't be disrespectful when dealing with older people. They came of age during a different time. Although it is rude to stare, that is what they do. They may just be admiring your beauty or what you have on. They may be looking at you to just contemplate how much things have changed since they were young. But whatever you do, don't disrespect your elders. Those people built this country. For you or any other young person to disrespect them gives them a grim outlook as to where this nation is headed. Just ignore the looks and move on. I know that it is annoying, but those are your elders. Just remember, if you live long enough, you will be just like that.

User Detail :  

Name : CrystalRainbeaux, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Registered Nurse, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tamika
    Participant
    Maybe you are very beautiful or a little weird-looking. Instead of getting mad, I would just ask one of them. If they are looking that hard they would probably love to talk.

User Detail :  

Name : Tamika, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    If this is 'always' happening to you, take a look in the mirror. Do you blatantly and obviously advertise the fact you're a lesbian? Are your 'average' looks augmented with 27 piercings and 12 tattoos? Do you dress, talk and act like a stevedore, despite being obviously female? If so, then you have your answer. If not, then maybe you need to get a little less over-sensitive (and narcissistic), and stop assuming 'everybody' is staring at and/or disapproving of you.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Yes, this is a problem both you and I face, as well as countless others. Not all seniors are like this. Many are polite and may cast a glance now and then if they find you interesting to look at, much like younger folks. But that said, the elderly are just like every other group: A couple of winners, and a whole lot of losers.

User Detail :  

Name : CraigMcLennan, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Duncan, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student/sales associate, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

AE
    Participant
    I get stared at a lot by seniors too, but, of course, I tend to dress in neon colors [or all dark colors], draw on my skin with sharpies [I'm too young to have tattoos] and I did have a phase where my hair was a bright, in-your-face shade of purple...

User Detail :  

Name : AE, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Undisclosed, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Anita
    Participant
    As my Grandma got older (late 80s and early 90s), we noticed that she stared at people more. I think that when people are really old they think slower and it takes longer to comprehend what they are seeing. Also, they don't see as well, so a quick glance doesn't cut it anymore! Also, as her hearing went, she stared more to catch what people were saying (kinda like poor lip-reading). The best thing to do is smile a brilliant smile and wave, say hello and make their day!

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

c.crowe
    I'm finding myself doing this more than I used to when I was younger, so I'll just answer for myself. Don't know about the other older people. (I'm middle-aged.) *Sometimes I like the fashions the young person is wearing! I could be admiring your outfit. (No, not in a sexual way. I liked clothes a lot when I was young and cute enough to wear anything and make it look good. I'm still interested in them though I no longer look like I could be that interested!) This is the most likely answer, for me. I probably like your style. I especially like outrageous, theatrical styles, and if you wear that sort of style, I'm going to look, because I like it!!! The creativity! *Sometimes the young person or group of young people remind me of my own friends from when I was that age and I'm caught r

User Detail :  

Name : c.crowe, Gender : Female, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

c.crowe
    Sorry, I'm new here & my original message was too long. Maybe the older person is reminded of someone they used to know/trying to figure out if they know you from somewhere. Many older people can't see well & could be trying to determine if you're their g-daughter's roommate they've met once 3 years ago. They could be admiring your style or your manner of speech or be enjoying watching a group of young people together because it's charming.

User Detail :  

Name : c.crowe, Gender : Female, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    I've noticed this with my father when he's not wearing glasses. With the glasses he's fine. Without them he has to stare and stare in order to see even simple things.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

lissaf
    Participant
    this may not be the case with you, but i often hear people that dress for attention ask.. Why do people stare at me? if you've adopted a lifestyle that is very involved with the way you look, and that look just so happens to not be normal.. then please assume people are going to stare at you.. ESPECIALLY old people. if you have piercings old people will stare at you.. if your hair is dyed they will stare at you. if your skirt is short they will stare.. you get the point. it shouldn't even both you so much that people stare. yes it may be annoying at times.. but get over it.

User Detail :  

Name : lissaf, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.