Older folks and Buicks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hermione21311
    Participant
    Why do so many old people drive Buicks? I just don't get it. There are lots more luxurious cars if that's what they like, but it's always Buicks. What's up with that?

User Detail :  

Name : Hermione21311, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : IT, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gerald
    There are a few reasons older people still believe in driving an American car, and Buicks are second in line to Lexus in reliability. Buicks are also inexpensive compared to other autos.

User Detail :  

Name : Gerald, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CR31875
    Participant
    Most people over 60 (especially men) don't want to stand out in a crowd (notice the men over 60 who exclusively wear Earth-tone polyester clothing), and most Buicks from the '80s until recently have very non-descript styling.

Also, as people age in this country, they tend to get overweight, have health issues and limited physical mobility, and Buicks don't sit too low or too high and are mid- to large-size cars with large doors and bench seats, which make the car easy for someone with limited flexibility to get in and out of. Imagine your grandparents trying to get in and out of a Corvette!

Also, Baby Boomers and the World War II generation are the last Americans to be brand loyal. For people over 50, Buick has been a status symbol of quality and luxury throughout their lifetime.

Not only that, but Buick Park Avenues are one of the most luxurious cars in the world, even if American cars don't carry as much 'look at me' factor as foreign makes.

Finally, there's the cost. The average Buick is $25k, while the average Benz or Lexus is $40k. Why pay $20k more when you are not getting $20k more? Keep in mind that aging Baby Boomers don't care about looking like a 'Gangsta Rapper' with 'Bling Bling' or 'glossing'.

User Detail :  

Name : CR31875, Age : 34, City : Pontiac, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Teague24670
    Participant
    I'm in a strange minority: I'm 28, drive a great, big Buick and love it. My friends rip on me for driving a 'Grampa Car,' but it's the only ride I'd want. I'm a long and tall guy (6'3' with wide shoulders and long limbs) so the big American cars fit me right, and I always like to buy American. Buicks are built for comfort and power, not quickness and flash, so they're great for a nice drive in the country. Also, Buicks are just as good as Cadillacs and Lincolns, but are much more modest. Buicks are Old School.

User Detail :  

Name : Teague24670, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Vail
    Buick has always been a status brand among the working to middle class from their generation. I'd call it successful marketing.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Christie32033
    Participant
    My dad has driven Buicks for many years. He always buys high-end older Buicks, even though he has enough money to buy a brand new one. His cars always ride like you are floating on air. I remember when I was a kid, every car we had would have a rattle or squeak somewhere under the dash board. It drove my dad crazy. He says none of his Buicks ever rattle or squeak like that. A few years ago, he told his wife that he always wanted a Caddy. So they went and traded in his Buick. Within a week, they had returned the Caddy and brought home the same Buick!

User Detail :  

Name : Christie32033, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : depression, anxiety, Age : 37, City : Southern Illinois, State : IL Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Michele Thomas
    Participant
    I actually asked some clients (I am in insurance agent) why they continue to buy Buicks and they told me that they had them as younger people but realized as they got older that they could get in and out of them more easily. One older gent said he tried a smaller car but didn't want to fold himself up like a penknife to get in!

User Detail :  

Name : Michele Thomas, City : West Chester, State : PA Country : United States, 

missletile20499
    Participant
    Because they can!

User Detail :  

Name : missletile20499, City : grand rapids, State : MI Country : United States, 

carmel19267
    Participant
    my mom says its because they are manitain. i just think it is because they are big and if you hit something there is not that much damage.

User Detail :  

Name : carmel19267, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike20611
    Participant
    I thought I was the only one who noticed this. My theory is that Buick will go the way of Oldsmobile in a few very short years, because they seem to only attract older buyers, and don't have any product that will appeal to younger people. As the older brand loyal people die off, there will be no one left to take their place. My informal survey in Nevada and California shows over 80% of Buick drivers have white hair and wear hats!

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20611, City : Reno, State : NV Country : United States, 

Pam
    Participant
    Here is a strange spin on the Buick discussion. I recently aquired a white Buick Roadmaster cheap and in perfect condition. I would never have chosen such a car. I prefer flashy, sporty, fast cars. I have noticed a strange thing. People tailgate me like you wouldn't believe, even though I'm not a slow driver at all. I'm in Florida where the 'snowbirds' come every winter, not always welcome by all. I think they see the 'barge', assume I'm an old person (tinted windows) and deliberatly start messing with me. By the way, I am spoiled forever with that car. It rides and has all the luxuries like first class. But, it takes almost $50 a week to keep me going to work.

User Detail :  

Name : Pam, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40's, City : Altoona, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Clerk, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

WOM
    Participant
    During the depression years the Buick was a better car for a reasonable extra amount of money for those who could afford it. I recall that most doctors drove Buicks in a day when doctors made house calls, and while they could afford a better car, they preferred not drive up to patients' homes in more ostentatious vehicles. So for some of us old-timers, habit and loyalty still count.

User Detail :  

Name : WOM, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 83, City : Palm Springs, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : retired insurance agent, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jim
    Participant
    I don't know why old people drive so many Buicks, but I also have observed that most old people drive cars that are 10 to 20 years old, including many 'boats' of the '70s and '80s. I believe the reason for this is that after they retire, most working people don't have the bucks to buy a later model. Also, why bother? A lot of older people drive only back and forth to the store, stay off the freeways and don't drive at night, so all they care about is transportation. If Buicks are popular, perhaps it's because they were particularly well made. I happen to drive a '90 Ford Tempo, which now has 152,000 miles. I've thought about trading it in on a newer model, but I'm not sure I want to take on a car payment again, and I no longer drive as much.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 70, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/editor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Robert-Krauss
    Participant
    I used to sell cars and dealt with many older folks. It all stems from the General Motors marketing from their day and age. Back then if you werent a Ford or Chrysler man and if you wanted a good inexpensive car you bought a Chevy. If you wanted a sporty Car you bought a Pontiac. If you wanted a more expensive car with a little more prestige and some sportiness then you bought an Oldsmobile. If you had even more money then you bought a Buick. If you 'made it' then then was no ther car to buy but a Cadillac. Buicks were the last rung in the ladder before buying a Caddy, my guess is that older folks buy the Buicks because of the marketing image thats been imprinted on their brains.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert-Krauss, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : North Wales, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dee
    Participant
    Ha Ha Ha. I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

User Detail :  

Name : Dee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Frisco, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.