Offensive remarks to African Americans?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

James C.
    To African Americans: In school or when you were in school and they talked about slavery and the KKK, did you ever get offended in any way?

User Detail :  

Name : James C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : Brewerton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : school, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Monique20354
    Participant
    James to answer your question, I wouldn't really call it offensive because I know teachers don't mean anything by it when they prepare their lesson plans and teach repeatedly about the KKK or about slavery. One thing I can say is that I wish in schools teachers would attempt to research the contributions and inventions that African Americans had accomplished in this country. Everytime black history is being taught it is always about slavery , the civil rights marches of the '50s and '60s , the white supremicists, and Martin Luther King . Not that I don't appreciate the struggles and the fight for equality thtat Martin Luther King had to endure, it's just that there's more to us and our history besides slavery thtat's not very often portrayed. For example, George Washington Carver and the discoveries he stampled upon on the many uses of the peanut plant.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique20354, City : Ft.Myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

Aj28980
    Participant
    Actually, I was upset that slavery was NOT talk about much at all. It seemed as if no one wanted to discuss anything as shameful or embarressing as the US owning its citizens all the while claiming it was the land of freedom for all people. Our school books had maybe a paragraph of information about slavery and nothing about the KKK. I have noticed that US history books are quick to talk about injustices around the world, (Hitler, Germany, China) but is very reluctant to shine the light on its own past wrongs. (Like slavery, Japanese internment camps, KKK, etc...)

User Detail :  

Name : Aj28980, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : DC, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wayne-C24375
    Participant
    When I was in school, the discussion of slavery was so brief that you didn't have the chance to be offended. Hopefully, that has changed. Tell me, how much do they discuss slavery in high school today?

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-C24375, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 41, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Deedee
    Participant
    Eh, my school is mostly Asian then white, so often I'm the only black person in my History or English class. It's kind of annoying when I have to correct some one's ignorant assumption or debate with the teacher, or try to explain how the whole black race feels about something. It's not fair that everyone has to look to me to explain the black race when they could easily pick up a book.

User Detail :  

Name : Deedee, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Lynn22505
    Participant
    I was never offended, but greatly shocked, disturbed and angered when I first learned of man's inhumanity to man.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynn22505, Gender : F, Age : 35, City : Louisville, State : KY Country : United States, 

angela24942
    Participant
    in my school they never really taught us about black history. and when they did everybody would look at me. i never really understood y everyone in class was looking at me, i wanted to know what they were waiting for. but that's the only thing that made me mad.

User Detail :  

Name : angela24942, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kiki J.
    I wasn't really offended just upset to see how people treated other people in those days. How people could just develop such hatred just because a certain group of people aren't the same 'shade' as them.

User Detail :  

Name : Kiki J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 15, City : austell, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Tyrone H.
    When i first learned that my ancestors where slaves of another race of people it was not in school , but at the first day of school at five years old. I was supposed to attend a school about 5-6 blocks from my home and was denied due to the color of my skin, instead i was sent completly to the 'other' side of town to receive my education. In saying that, most children of color already know that our Afro-American ancestors are for the most part, decendants of slaves, But I as a child found it very offensive to teach negative historical in a society that was 'supposed' to be building to a better future!

User Detail :  

Name : Tyrone H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : gainfully unemployed, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

A-Woods
    Participant
    No, I was never offended or insulted. It is part of our history. Even though it is a negative part, people should still learn about it. During these discussions in US History class I was happy to put in my comments and share my perspective.

User Detail :  

Name : A-Woods, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 16, City : Mitchellville, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley M.
    Participant
    I have been constantly offended by these topics. As a current high school senior other students feel that the discussion of this topic gives them the right to voice their personal opinions about African-Americans. The worst part is that none of my teachers have ever stopped them from doing so. I have sat in many classrooms where students have advocated the present day enslavement of African-Americans with not so much as one word from the teacher. Students have asked offensive questions of me such as Why do 'you guys' still care so much about slavery? or Why do we have to study about this, why dont 'you guys' just leave it in the past? These questions are not asked in hopes of learning but to be argumentative and offensive and force me into uncomfortable situations. (I am quite often the only African American student in many of my classes despite the fact that my school is 54% Black.) My problem is not studying the topic of slavery in its historical context, but the fact that none of the teachers I have had over the years have known how to properly handle such a discussion or protect the rights of Black students to feel comfortable in their own classrooms.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley M., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 20, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

JJ
    Participant
    No I never got offende when we learned about slavery and the KKK. Just angry.

User Detail :  

Name : JJ, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 15, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Kate26823
    Participant
    I am only offended if other students say offensive things or laugh if they see a picture of a lynched man, or do not try to fully understand the oppression and hurt black people have faced in the past.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate26823, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Jenks, State : OK Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

D31823
    Participant
    No, it was never offensive. It was informing and debatable about in some cases, so in a way it was a way for everyone to speak their minds.

User Detail :  

Name : D31823, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/Korean, Religion : Christian, City : Va.Beach, State : VA Country : United Kingdom, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Melissa
    Participant
    Ahhh Geezz now-a-days everything offensive to them,they can make movies and song that totally ridicule whites but lord forbid we call them 'black' people.I would'nt worry about it if I were you.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.