Of Muslims and demonic dogs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Participant
    Why do Muslims think dogs are dirty? Do they believe dogs are demonic? How much do they dislike them?

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 20, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Karim
    Muslims do not believe dogs are demonic; dogs are thought of as ritually unclean, and this is particularly true of canine saliva and mucous (which seem to come in abundance all the time). Dogs are not prohibited per se, but because they destroy ablution and ritual cleanliness, they should not be allowed in any area of the house where prayers take place. Generally speaking, Muslims avoid dogs because keeping them in a separate area can be a very hard job. Note that this does not apply to cats, which are actually advised as companions by Islamic tradition. Islamic texts also warn that if someone owns a dog, and that dog suffers from incarceration, hunger or thirst, then that person's road to hell is paved, so it is a great responsibility.

User Detail :  

Name : Karim, Gender : M, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Max21859
    Participant
    Well 'dogs being unclean' is a Arab Tradition. Does not have anything to do with Islam. Countries other that the ones in the Middle-East does not have any such regulations. Usually Arabs misinterpret it as an 'Islamic thing'. In islam all animals are the creation of God.

User Detail :  

Name : Max21859, City : smallville, State : OH Country : United States, 

Jessica
    Participant
    Did you know that dog's saliva is cleaner than our own? Their saliva is anti-bacterial, and it has to be, in order to combat the viruses and bacteria that they encounter everyday in the low grade foods human feed them. So, when a dog licks you, that portion of your skin is probably cleaner than it has ever been before.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vargas24526
    Participant
    I think an interesting situation would be: Your praying in your room seperate from where you keep a dog. Someone breaks into your home where you are and murders you while your dog barks hysterically from the other side of a closed door. Dogs will protect and remain loyal to their master, even to their own death. Don't put blinders on based on beliefs...make your own practical choices.

User Detail :  

Name : Vargas24526, Gender : M, Age : 28, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Business Owner, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Ryan29516
    Participant
    You made a serious mistake in implying that only a dog's saliva is dirty, when this is true for all animals, including humans. Often there is a great amount of saliva coming from some humans, but I don't think this means they can not pray.

User Detail :  

Name : Ryan29516, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, 

HYO21698
    Participant
    Well, muslims are not supposed to have dogs as pets or allow dogs to lick them. This makes sense to me, at least, because I actually own a dog (german shepherd puppy, lives outside in a nice warm doggy house, etc. He's a watch dog, because my family is always getting freaked out with the things that go bump in the night. ). Anyway, said dog eats his own excrement, licks his genitals clean, etc. Personally, muslim or not, I do not want his saliva on me. I have a christian friend with two dogs and she doesn't like them to lick her either. It's not that Islam considers dogs demonic at all...there's even a hadith (saying of the prophet) about a man who was traveling in the desert and he saw a obviously dehydrated dog. The man shared his water with the dog. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told his companions that this man would go to paradise.

User Detail :  

Name : HYO21698, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, Age : 14, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.