Obese kids set up for failure?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Lucy
    Participant
    This message is for Roger and anyone else who thinks that the fast-food chains are comparable to tobacco industries. The difference between the two is that cigarettes are ADDICTIVE because of nicotine. The only addiction when it comes to food is habitual and emotional/compulsive eating. People don't live their lives craving fast food burgers. In fact I'm sure if you asked most people, they'd agree that a good delicious meal (much healthier than a burger and fries) sounds much more appealing. I don't disagree that fast food chains want families to be at their restaurants and to eat, but that is just marketing. Look at ANY other company in the world, and they are advertising, wanting people to use their materials, follow their programs, buy their cars. Suing fast food chains is ridiculous. I feel like all people want to do is blame others. Find a scapegoat. Do you think that by suing McDonalds, putting a little warning note on the wrapper that most people won't even read, saying, 'Warning, continuous consumption of these foods will lead to higher cholestrol and obesity' will actually help the problem of obesity? Rather than blaming others, people need to realize that it is time we stand up for our own mistakes and take responsiblity for our actions. I am hoping that this forum is adressing the parents of younger children, those that have not yet matured to acquire a sensible lifestyle of moderation. Teens are not stupid. In fact, most teenagers who are overweight know this, and constant nagging by their parents will not push them in the right direction of weight loss. There is nothing to be gained from suing the fast food chains more than a few million dollars for lazy Americans who will continue on being obese and a few million richer. Isn't it amazing how so many people are willing to go through soo much just to prove that it isn't their fault that they are obese?

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 
    It is ridiculous to blame McDonald's and other fast-food places for children's obesity. Parents are responsible for what their children are eating. And I understand that the McDonald's lawsuit was thrown out. Good!

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

kellyn
    Time, time, time: Most people don't have it. The quicker the better. A lot of these kids are from single parent homes, and even when both parents are in the home, many times, both work full-time jobs. I also think that many of these kids are simply overindulged, hence, the behavioral problems. They get what they want, when they want it. If you looked around in one of these obese kids rooms, you'd probably find a TV, VCR and the latest game console (with last year's in the closet.) Which is yet another reason these kids are overweight: no outside activity.

User Detail :  

Name : kellyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : clute, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : tech writer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Lynn22509
    Participant
    Unfortunately, with both parents working in most families, the large number of single-parent families and the myriad other activities and demands after work, it's easy for parents to rely on the quick availability of fast food. However, parents must remember that they are our children, and it is our responsibility to take care of them and make the right choices for them until they reach an age when hopefully our guidance will become a good habit and they make the right choices for themselves. My daughter has been taught in kindergarten the difference between anytime foods and sometimes foods, and we try to reinforce that in our home. She doesn't always like it, but she understands it and will live longer and much healthier, too). Blaming fast-food companies is a copout and a way for parents to deflect blame from themselves. (Although I am considering suing Krispy Kreme because their donuts are too good to be legal and I'm sure I'm under some type of mind control as I pull into their drive-thru.)

User Detail :  

Name : Lynn22509, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Dearborn, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Joe
    Participant
    This is very typical in society at this day and age. Just about anyone will be quick to point their finger at who or whatever they can in attempts to absolve themselves from responsibility. I also am very glad the McDonalds lawsuits got thrown out. There was also a recent study that had a group of obese teenagers, and group of very fit teenager taken to McDonalds for lunch. The amount of food ordered between the two groups was not too differen't, however, the main difference was the majority of the fit group didn't eat the remainder of the day. No wonder they 'eat all that crap and stay skinny.'

User Detail :  

Name : Joe, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : I.T., Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    As far I'm concerend the kids are an extension of the parents. If the kids are fat it's the parents that are at fault. Hello !! quit buying soda pop, cookies, micro wave meals - Hello !!! Get some back bone and stop the madness. Buy only what you want them to eat for dinner and snacking - save some money to boot. Sure they're going to be hungry at the outset but at least you won't raise a gourmand down the road. Furthermore why are you blaming McDonalds ? Don't give any money out so they can go. Hello ! no money no McDonalds.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Parker, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Information Technology, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

JessicaJ
    Participant
    It's easy to pass judgment on parents of obese kids when you haven't been there yourself. Obesity is not as easy to solve as you think. I was once an overweight kid, and my parents (especially my dad) harped on me about my weight constantly. I was always told I needed to lose weight...mostly for health, as well as to become "prettier." I was always on diets, my food intake was always monitored, I was pushed into the gym, and I was expected to participate in martial arts and sports (where coaches often discriminate against fat kids b/c of their size anyway). By the time I was eighteen, my metabolism was screwed up and so was my self-image. And it took nearly ten years to try to fix a childhood of parents "helping kids take responsibility" as you call it. I ended up finding out

User Detail :  

Name : JessicaJ, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Dot
    Participant
    Unless you consider the Wii a piece of gym equipment. Schools cut Phys Ed long, long ago and most parents, if they work out at all, do it on a treadmill instead of in the park with the whole family. Also, people have gotten incredibly ignorant about food. Most don't read labels or have any idea of what's good for them.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.