No need for TV

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alex J.
    Participant
    I have been talking to many kids my age (16). Many feel it is impossible to live a comfortable or happy life without a television set at the least, and probably not without a computer and car. Why is that? I have been raised the same as most of these kids but I consider all of those things expendable at best.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 17, City : Elkins Park, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : High School student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Pete S.
    Participant
    Clearly, Alex,you have different priorities than the other kids with whom you have spoken. Computers, TVs and car are all nice representations of living a prosperous life full of things, but they can never replace having friends, outside activities or knowledge. Perhaps you like to read or skateboard or engage in other activities. There's nothing wrong with that. It most likely means that you have other interests which may well lead you to found the next billion-dollar company when you are 22. Most wealthy, creative people have little time for the 'luxuries' we obtain in life, they're busy creating the next major achievement in their lives. Things will always be things. But, things are just that. Unless you are an extremely shallow person (and I doubt that you are) the things that others value are meaningless to you. If someone else feels comfortable surrounding themselves with things, that's their choice, it doesn't mean that you have to be like them. Travel your own path; in the long run you'll appreciate your own achievements more because you didn't go along with the crowd.

User Detail :  

Name : Pete S., Gender : M, Age : 51, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

N.G.
    Participant
    I'm speaking as from the position of another who grew up without a TV. When I was 10, we chose as a family not to have a TV. When I tell people that now, they automatically assume that we were too poor to purchase another. In actuality, we were an average middle-class family who were very happy growing up without a TV. I have found as an adult that still doesn't watch regular TV, I have a very low threshold for TV or movie scenes of physical violence, war, or psychological thrillers. Your average B-grade slasher I can take or leave, they don't bother me. Scenes that have elements of truth or believability to them often will bother me for hours or days. This is something that many of my friends and aquaintances don't seem to understand. Yet with reflection, it does make sense. If I was never regularly exposed to that kind of violence, why shouldn't it bother me? I'm not desensitized to it like most who watch shows with that content. In some respects, it bothers me more that people don't realize they, themselves have become desensitized to some pretty horrible actions. I hope this doesn't portray me as an avid TV hater, 'cause I'm not. I just wished more would think about what they are *really* watching.

User Detail :  

Name : N.G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Lethbridge, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Program Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nina
    Participant
    i have never had a tv in my home, and i live really comfortably and not any less happily than others. we had a tv for about 3 months once and i ended up hating it and wanting to kick it to death every couple of minutes. i asked my friends why they needed their tv so much and they said that they wouldn't know what to do with their spare time without it. most of them never read though. i do love my computer but i know i would be able to live very happily without it too.

User Detail :  

Name : Nina, Gender : F, Religion : Atheist, Age : 15, City : auckland, State : NA Country : New Zealand, 

Amma
    Participant
    Based on my experiences I think it just depends on the person. I was raised with the television constantly on in my house and now I am 20 and don't watch TV at all, but my brother (14) watches all the time and says he can't live without one. I have a friend who was raised without a tv in the home and he now watches all the times. So, it seems to me it just depends on a person's likes and dislikes.

User Detail :  

Name : Amma, Gender : F, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.