Nice boat!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

R-J30340
    Participant
    Why do so many senior citizens buy such large automobiles? With having a reduced family size, wouldn't it make more sense for them to drive smaller, more economical cars? I've also observed many an older adult struggling to maneuver these large cars. Are senior citizens just showing off their disposable income? It seems to me that on many levels, smaller cars would make more sense for their driving needs.
    Original Code A36. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : R-J30340, Gender : M, Age : 36, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, 

Kim
    I think it's because when they were in their early 20s and 30s, ALL cars were huge. Think back to the '50s: cars were enormous. And that's the way they think cars should be. They're attracted to big cars because that'a what they're used to.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    My grandparents are in their mid-to-late seventies and like to travel the country frequently with their friends. They prefer traveling by automobile because they can stop to eat or use the restroom or whatever, whenever they prefer, as opposed to an airplane, where they cannot sightsee or do anything. They own a luxury SUV, and although I, the environmentalist in the family, have ribbed them about it being a gas guzzler, it actually makes some economical sense for them. When they travel from Texas to Florida, for example, they are almost always joined by two friends. So the SUV offers them enough space for the four of them plus luggage, and saves gas by taking one vehicle rather than two.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Durango
    Participant
    Speaking as an older person (57) who just bought a Lincoln Towncar: its strictly a comfort thing. We take long car trips and I get backaches if not properly supported. For comfort, there's nothing like a 'stinkin' Lincoln'! LOL

User Detail :  

Name : Durango, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, 

Bill
    Since I am approaching that target age, and I drive a 'Boat'. My explanation is quite simple. After having gone through my Speed phase of muscle cars, economy phase of small cars (VW Bug), Midsize phase of bone jarring rides, and the penultimate thrill of a gas guzzling truck. I now am totally into the comfort of driving down the road in my living room with wheels. It has absolutely nothing to do with income, and for all practical purposes I get pretty damn good mileage (25city, 30highway). Also, in the long haul my maintenence costs are actually the lowest of all vehicles I ever owned. I suppose you could say the senior class has gained an advantage in wisdom from years of dealing with transportation comfort and costs. And it don't hurt that you're a hell of alot safer if an accident occurs.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, Gender : M, Age : 55, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.