My skin discoloration

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jaysee
    Participant
    I am 51. Back about 1970, a friend recommended a product to me to get rid of facial acne. I used this creme and found that it burnt my skin. I have no wrinkles, but due to skin discoloration from this creme, I wear a perfect finish creme foundation. I do not wish to use this any longer. Wearing the makeup, people found me at least 20 years younger. Is there some form of medical treatment African Americans can have done to reduce or get rid of skin discoloration (other than bleaching cremes)?

User Detail :  

Name : Jaysee, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 51, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : self employed, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jay31085
    Participant
    The only treatments I can think of that even out skin tone are microdermabrasion, and laser and chemical peels. Unfortunately, I don't think it works too well on darker-pigmented skin, as it would reveal the lighter flesh beneath and not match the rest of the skin. (I also think there's a risk of hyperpigmentation, which may make the problem worse still.) You ought to see a dermatologist for professional advice, as there are many wonderful skin enhancing products and techniques I may be unaware of.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31085, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Whitney
    Try micro-dermabrasion. There is also the television product Derm & Peel, which works pretty well at a fraction of the cost.

User Detail :  

Name : Whitney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Tunica, State : MS Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Peter
    Participant
    Have you ever tried to use some cocoa butter? It evens your skin to eventually diminish the blemishes. I think theres a medicated version too. Check it out.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Susan MD
    Participant
    You have already learned what good comestic physicians know about black skin. If you traumatize it even a little you can end up with permanent skin discoloration. Do not use anything on your skin that might irritate it without consulting a dermatologist who is well versed on black skin as well as correcting skin tone and texture. Though I am white due to my unseen racial heritage of Native American and African American I also fight this. A little scratch or irritation will leave a permanent unsightly dark spot. My plastic surgeon gave me a prescription creme that helps some.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan MD, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Lupus, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 37, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Physician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.