Movies that make fun of whites

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Erik20075
    Participant
    You're no sell-out, you're just as much a part of humanity as anyone else, and that's what truly counts. :)

User Detail :  

Name : Erik20075, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Arendal, State : NA Country : Norway, 

Brad
    Participant
    Um, have you actually watched those movies? Bringing Down The House wasn't exactly Queen Latifah's most flattering role, and in Hitch, Will Smith had trouble following his own dating advice (he plays a relationship advisor giving advice to clueless men) and in White Men Can't Jump, the white guy (Woody Harrelson) was actually a better ball player than the black guy (Wesley Snipes). I don't believe white people are being singled out as much as you think.

User Detail :  

Name : Brad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer repair tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Melissa
    Participant
    I am black, and I don't think black people have the right to crack jokes about white people like that, Comedy or not. If a white person even made a subtle joke about black people they would riot! I think we should all tone down on the race-related jokes because even though they're just jokes, they're slowing down the progress of acceptance.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, 

Andy
    Participant
    The problem is simple. Everyone is worried about color. Why? Everyone is good at different things. There are black guys(Michael Jordan for one) who are amazing with a basketball. Then there ae those who couldn't hit the backboard if they fell on to it. Those same guys might be the person to finally cure cancer. Everyone is different. Sure some races are better at certain things then others, but not always. If every black person were good at basketball, we may not have peanut butter, the automatic car wash, or blood transfusions. Every one is different. If something is funny, so what. Most white guys can't jump. Me? I can. But I can't rope a steer (don't want to either). There are exceptions to every 'rule'. Once we learn to look past them, the world will be a happier place.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United Kingdom, 

KN21806
    Participant
    Black comedians, as well as black comedic films, television shows, and other forms of media, don't just poke fun at white people and associated stereotypes; they poke fun at black people as well. Race and racial issues are prevalent aspects of an average black person's life. As such, they are subjects we discuss frequently and, as many common subjects do, they become sources for comedy. Especially in America, where race is such a controversial topic, many things associated with race have that extra 'bite' that makes good comedy. If you watch BET Comic View, 'The Kings of Comedy' or other black-focused shows, black comedians make jokes about black people and associated stereotypes usually moreso than jokes made about whites. I don't believe that animosity is intended. Possibly one of the reasons for this controversy, and many other issues where race is a factor, is the different way race and racial discussions are viewed in America. For the typical black person, being aware of racial differences and disparities is an aspect of our everyday lives. It can be as slight as being aware that we are the only black person in a room, to something as serious as being treated differently than white counterparts, and/or being blatantly mistreated in a variety of situations. But, in most of the interactions that black people have in society, we feel no animosity when we take note of racial differences; it simply noticing the differences in society. It has been my personal experience that when the issue of race is brought up by a black person, it makes many whites uncomfortable. It's often the issue itself that ruffles feathers, moreso than what is said. I'm uncertain if this is because whites are afraid that when blacks bring up race, we are in some way blaming them for racial problems, or perhaps the topic ignites a sense of guilt or entitlement, or perhaps none of the above.

User Detail :  

Name : KN21806, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    ...whites have had their fun (and fury) with every ethnicity known to man, especially blacks. At least YOU as a white person, have always had the right to speak up and out against this. Not too many years ago, for a black person to speak up against anything meant certain death...or worse. Well it's a new day, we can say whatever we please and make fun of whomever we wish, without repercussions, on film, on stage, etc. Deal with it. That is the beauty of this country...the FREEDOM to SAY what one wishes to say...or does that only apply to white folk?

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw29035, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 43, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eric
    Participant
    Being a white man from a poor black community, I think white people jokes are funny, so I don't mind. As George Carlin (Not a black man, in case you didn't notice) said, 'Be Proud! Be White! Be Lame! And get the ---- off the dance floor!'

User Detail :  

Name : Eric, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Heidelberg, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : Military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

David27201
    Participant
    The movies you listed made fun of blacks just as much as the whites - Bringing Down The House' with Queen Latifah (the black woman playing the stereotypical ghetto mammy but since she isn't white we will conveniently overlook that fact) also produced, written, & directed by whites. White Men Can't Jump - both the black & white guy were both hustlers. I cannot tell you about Hitch yet when I see it I'll let you know what I think. So let's be honest majority of movies with black women in them they are the ghetto, angry bitter, crack addict or the whorish black woman (Save the Last Dance, Monster's Ball, or the mystical black (Bagger Vance, Green Mile). And let's not get started with NYPD Blue with the black captain who had a wife & kid but you never saw his personal life but every white character's personal life was shown.

User Detail :  

Name : David27201, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : South Brunswick, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Susan21458
    Participant
    C'mon already! If you can't laugh at yourself, then you're way too uptight. White people are funny and easy to make fun of. We can't dance as well as blacks, we're too high strung ... we're just different. You don't see black people whining and complaining about 'Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood' do you? There are 'black stereotypes' in that movie left and right, yet it's funny. It's all meant in GOOD humor... not negatively.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan21458, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Northville, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Deirdre
    Participant
    One, its a comedy. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves. Second, black people are made fun of in movies all the time. The negative side to it, is its not always in a comedic way. What are some of the stereotypes that you have heard about black people? The girls have big butts and big hips and are always ready for some drama and won't take anything from anybody, guys are thugs that are well endowed and able to play sports well. What are some of the characteristics for both? Big lips, nappy hair, wide noses. Most movies play on these generalities because it gives the audience something that they can relate to and understand. When we watch stereotypes like that we know that there is far more too us, but can definately say, 'yea, ain't no black girl fitna let her man get away wit dat.' When we watch it for white people we can laugh and say, 'yea, they really will enunciate every single letter in a word.' We have to be able to laugh at ourselves, and recently it has just got to the point that the media would be accepting of black people making fun of white stereotypes.

User Detail :  

Name : Deirdre, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black and white, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Greeneville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie
    Participant
    Your comment that it is easier and more advantageous to be a white person, in my opinion, condones racism. You sound like one of those white people who goes around making sure people know you have a 'black friend'. I wonder what Will Smith would say if he read that he doesn't really qualify as a black character. He's a black man and an actor....hello? It never ceases to amaze me what certain (thankfully, not all) white Americans really think when it comes to all manner of being black. Ask yourself: Would you rather be a rich black person or a poor white person?

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 47, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.