Marriage and gays

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Johnny29353
    Participant
    If marriage by its nature produces offspring, then sterile straight people should not be allowed to get married. As for gay relationships being unstable, I'd suggest you read 'Dear Abby' more often; you'll see some real instability there.

User Detail :  

Name : Johnny29353, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Jean
    Participant
    The whole 'marriage is meant to produce children' argument is completely lame. My brother and his wife have been married for 10 years and my girlfriend and I have also been together for 10 years. My brother and his wife have made the decision not to have children and to focus on their careers. Does that make their marriage less valid? Should they not have gotten married because they had no intention of having children? Marriage is for people who are in love and want to spend their lives together - whether or not they intend to have children. Personally, I don't care to be married. I'm not going to put on a white gown and try to imitate some ritual where I'm clearly not welcome. If heteroes want to call 'marriage' their thing, that's fine with me. I would, however, like there to be an insitution (domestic partnership, domestic commitment, whatever) that gay people could enter into that would offer us the same benefits as married people get. However, I'd bet you dollars to donuts that even if we called it something else and it was strictly a legal, rather than religious, union people would still be against it and find some other argument to shoot it down. People just need to wake up and realize that my commitment to my girlfriend is just as strong as any marriage, with or without a license, and that it's not a threat to them, their families or their way of life.

User Detail :  

Name : Jean, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Orange County, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Molly20303
    Participant
    With 50% of hetero marriages failing, I can't see how gays could do much worse or why gay marriage can be blamed for destroying the family.

User Detail :  

Name : Molly20303, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ks
    Participant
    In the last 15 years, I have participated in 11 wedding ceremonies. 7 of them were actual marriages of straight couples. 4 were commitment ceremonies for gay/lesbian couples. Out of the 7 straight couples, only 2 of them are still together. Out of the 4 gay couples, all 4 of them are still together. In my opinion, that dis-proves the theory that same-sex unions are not as stable as opposite-sex unions. Yes, marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman. But MAN created the definition of the word. Words are re-defined all the time. Just take a look at a copy of Websters from 5 or 10 years ago, and compare it to a copy from today. You'll see that many words have new meanings added to them based on the changes in society.

User Detail :  

Name : ks, City : york, State : PA Country : United States, 
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.