Is religion really necessary?

Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Courtney
    I think you might be interested in C.S. Lewis' book called Mere Christianity. He theorized that all Christians, no matter what denomination should be connected on the basis that they are all Christians. I agree that there are many interpretations of the Bible. But I believe that we should all get together and talk about our different interpretations. I don't go to church because I don't believe in denominations, it seperates Christians. Matthew 23:8-14 says 'But you are not to be called Rabbi, for you have only one Master and you are all brother...Nor are you to be called teacher, for you have on Teacher, the Christ...Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you Hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces.' My ideal form of Christianity would have no denominations and no leaders, except for God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit. God Bless, Courtney

User Detail :  

Name : Courtney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native American/British/German/Ukranian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : University Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Scott Nash
    Participant
    First off Christianity is not a religion. There are no set rules and actions you have to do every day. The problem occurs when people take religion to far. If people are not worshipping the way I worship then they must be bad. God is the most important being in universe so People have to take steps to correct others because they are probably offending God.

User Detail :  

Name : Scott Nash, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, 

Mike
    Participant
    It seems like humankind has evolved to believe in various kinds of cultic beliefs. I think the major problem with The Bible is that rather than being divinely inspired, it was written by men and has many contradictions throughout. Therefore each Christian sect picks and chooses only those parts that resonate with it's members, but because they believe it is God's word, they remain secure in their particular 'flavor' of dogma and refuse to consider other viewpoints.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, City : Evasnville, State : IN Country : United States, 

Heather21468
    Participant
    Religion, in its largest form is simply the belief in a power greater then yourself. I believe what you are refering to are the various demoninations of religions, and not just of the Christian ones. For thousands and thousands of years religion has been a way for people to explain what they cannot explain. Religion provides comfort and solace that there is something bigger that us. On a social level it establishes societal norms, laws, morals, ethics and social scripts. An 'umbrella' religion compleatly goes against human nature. People, even those who are 'followers', like to feel unique, just as they do with politics. If you look closely at the various religions out there, however, you begin to notice some very striking similarities. Jews, Christians and Muslims are all considered 'People of the Book'. Judism has one(the old testament), Christians 2 (but they put more emphasis on the New Testament) and Muslims 3 (but they put more emphasis on the Qu'ran). These 3 have some very striking similarities when you get down to the base of their faith. Even the pagan religions of Greece, Rome or the Celts have similarities to the 'big 3'. Budist and Hindu religions also share some very basic, fundamental similarities to all of the above. The biggest problem with an 'umbrella' religion is who decides how people practice and what the base of the faith will be, is it Allah, Christ, Budda, the Great Mother, Zeus, Thor, who is the all powerful and what is the right way to pay tribute to this diety? This question, unfortunatly, is the cause of many of the tensions between the various religious sects and has spawned countless wars through the ages as each side tries to destroy the other while at the same time claiming their actions are in the name of God-Allah-Christ-Zeus-ect.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather21468, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 21, City : Fort Collins, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick
    I doubt you could come up with one religion that would satisfy all Christians, much less all people. There is too much diversity in the world for that to happen. But religion does seem to be a need for many if not most. Without predefined answers to life's mysteries some would feel lost. The best we can hope for are varied religions that all have as a common denominator, civil rights, good will, and tolerance.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dr. Clooney
    Participant
    Religion is a disease of the mind that prevents the brain for completing logical thought processes. Without the ability to think logically, the individual adopts an infantile theory of creation, existence and life meaning. Any attempt to remove this notion from the grasp of the individual often results in violent uncontrollable outbursts and fits of intense rage. There is no known treatment for the disorder, the only viable solution is chemical neutralization of the subject coupled with surgical sterilization. Please be aware that the individuals are extremely dangerous in certain situations and should not be approached or communicated with when not properly restrained. Although they claim to be children of god, said individuals will not hesitate to inflect fatal wounds when forced to examine their own delusions.

User Detail :  

Name : Dr. Clooney, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Glenn
    No. All religion is fictitious delusional crap designed to establish a social hierarchy and to thereby manipulate your life. Yes. In the absence of knowledge people must make assumptions and/or rely on others for guidance. Ignorance fosters dependency upon religion. The heart of religion is speculation and superstition. Not really. You can choose to be independent, but the consequence is to alienate your peers and to be aware of the ultimate loneliness of your existence. The concept of others (including Deity) sharing your sentiments is the greatest self-delusion in life. The omnipresence of this illusion makes it real. We are all on our own, but we are all on our own together. The impossible assumption that our life experiences are shared is the basis for all social interaction. Religion is the speculative interpretation of this assumption.

User Detail :  

Name : Glenn, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 41, City : Abbotsford, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

J21554
    Participant
    Yes, I would say that your denomination is necessary. Due to the ecumenical movement, denomination could be and should be seen less as a stumbling block and more as an expression of one's unique beliefs. Unfortunately, some translate ecumenism and denominations into a superiority conflict that steps away from the true goal of the movement. All religions deserve respect for what they are, a pathway to a deeper understanding of and connection to God, in whatever form you choose to prescribe to.

User Detail :  

Name : J21554, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Ryan22205
    Participant
    There is an old Islamic adage I heard once, 'all paths lead to Allah.' Religion is really a method for achieving a spiritual relationship with the divine, a way to replicate the experience of the original (Jesus, Buddha, etc.). I don't think these are the only ways to get there, but if it works, use it.

User Detail :  

Name : Ryan22205, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 29, City : Santa Barbara, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeremy19989
    Participant
    as my profile says I am an Agnostic ( I am not sure there is a God I am not sure there is not a God ) yet I am a privatly spiritual person looking for answers to the Ultamate Questions Religion is not necessary at all to be spiritual or a decient person religion might even slow down your own personal growth Yes each branch of christianity has diffrent rituals dogma and a diffrent interpitation of the Bible but I suggest look up the origin of the word thenyou might understand one of the many reasons I am an Agnostic this I can say about orginized religion is that they have gotten all of us to this point in history upon the bloody remains of millions if not billions of people through out History as to a uniting people under a christian banner what about the Hindus Daoists the followers of mohamud or any other nonchristian beliver or nonbeliver ? ponder that thought for a while Please

User Detail :  

Name : Jeremy19989, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Human, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : huntington, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : dishwasher, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Exton
    Participant
    Religion is even farther reaching than you know. Religion is not just the different denominations that worship Christ. Oh, no. There is so much more. It would take volumes to explain all the different religions. To name some others that have no connection to Christianity: Buddhism, Hinduism (the oldest known religion), Zorostrianism (i may have spelled that wrong), Paganism (which comes in many forms). And there are many more. A religion, most generally, is a body of knowledge and traditions that encompasses a particular view on the nature of the universe and mankind's place in it. Many religions rely on faith in that which cannot be empirically proven to explain and reason different things about the universe and human nature. And all the answers in all the religions are different, although they share common themes. Why can't we have just one, unified religion? Because people disagree on things! Many different people have many different concepts on spirituality, and that's to say nothing of bodies of knowledge that rely only on the empirical (science) and faiths that reject entirelly the supernatural (atheism, nontheism, and so on). The world will never be united in one belief of Christ. Most religions don't involve Christ at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Heather
    Unite, this is a strange word from anyone who claims to be a Christian. Victory is the only word I have noticed in study. All must FOLLOW CHRIST! As someone who is merely spiritual I have learned that it's one way or no way. I, and many like me, feel that all Gods are one. No matter the name you wish to use we all call to the same creator. In that fact we ARE all united and simply refuse to accept it. I feel that we will be acknowledged for our hearts and not our titles. The sooner we ALL learn to live and let live the better the world will be. In the mean time just call me Alice and I'll be in Wonderland if you need me!

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Fybromyalgia & Raynaud's, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Somewhere, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : Disabled-medical, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.