Is chivalry dead?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Sheeba
    Participant
    I don't want chivalry. If an elderly or handicapped man or woman is standing and I'm sitting, I'll give them my seat. There is no reason for anyone to give me, an able-bodied adult, a seat.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheeba, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 47, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A.R.
    Participant
    I think chivalry isn't quite dead. As a female though nowadays I don't think it should be just a guy thing. I usually open doors for guys and girls out of politeness. If a guy does it for me, I feel flattered considering the bad luck I get every day. Most people just do it out of respect. I think you girls need to be a little less judgemental unless the guy's not leaving you alone.

User Detail :  

Name : A.R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Lee's Summit, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : gardner, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jackie
    My general experience has been that no one is sure of what to do in this area. As a roughly college-aged woman, I'm generally fine with general courtesy but uncomfortable with men acting extremely 'chivalrous'. For example, if I'm with someone who reaches a door first, or I have my arms full, I figure they'll open it. I don't expect it from them just because they're guys. In fact, if someone insists on opening doors for me because I'm a woman and he's a man, I feel uneasy with that. Or another example: When my dad tried to develop the habit of walking around to open my car door for me, I was just weirded out. However, in the last few weeks my van's passenger door is broken, so it's only common courtesy to let whomever is sitting there out. I think the problem at the moment is that we don't have any general guidelines at the moment. Do we go for old customs that no longer have the same meaning that they used to, or change everything? My general advice is to act generally polite and other than that not worry about it too much. No matter what decision you make, you'll be pleasing some people and offending others.

User Detail :  

Name : Jackie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Tacoma, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominic
    Participant
    of course chivalry lives on. and romance. and beauty and love. how else could we live in this crazy post-modern urban too fast world.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominic, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Anglo-Saxon-Celtic, Religion : confused semi-Roman Catholic, Age : 26, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Publishing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Valerie
    What's wrong with chivalry? It's not insisting we can't do anything on our own or that we are the weaker sex. It's an act or respect. I know that from my husbands and my male friends views and opinions, that's the way they treat their mother and at some point in time the next female they show these acts of kindness to will some day become a mother themselves. For nine months of playing host to a little person, the least they feel they can do for a female is open a door or offer their seat. Not to mention, it's an act of kindness! If every American had these morals we would be a much stronger nation.

User Detail :  

Name : Valerie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Seabrook, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : house wife, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

J. F.
    It's called having your cake and eating it too.

User Detail :  

Name : J. F., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 60, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Amanda31489
    Participant
    As a woman, I agree with you...you should not give up your seat simply because a woman has to stand...I guarantee, she would not give up her seat if you were the one standing with a broken leg...it is women like that that give all women bad images....trust me, we are not all so rude...

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda31489, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 24, City : Bradenton, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Stay at home mom, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jack
    Chivalry isn't exactly 'dead,' it's just changed. I'm not personally going to sit there and hold the door open for a girl just because she's a girl, I'll hand the door over to a person just because they are there and it's easier for them. A girl complaining about somebody not giving up their seat is just snotty, really.

User Detail :  

Name : Jack, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Oshkosh, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Robert
    This is a great question. I think it has to do with respect though hard to explain. I often hold doors for men and women. If does not matter how old they are or what they look like. It is a kind thing to do. You can brighten someone else's day with such a simple act. People almost always 'light up' and smile. The seat on the subway...... I don't know as I have no mass transit in the area. This issue indeed seems divided. Some girls/women expect such treatment. While always are upset by it. The same for men some just look at me blankly when I hold the door for them. (they may think I am interested in them?) While others seem upset. Like I said great question!

User Detail :  

Name : Robert, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Bel Air, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ted S.
    Participant
    Sometimes Men hold dorrs, giveup seats and help in many other ways just because WE are gentlemen andit has nothing to do with you ladies or men, at all. If it does have something to do with you then maybe it is personal problem that you need to address. The mixed signals we as men get from the role distruction caused by the Lib. movement has discussted many from even trying to please. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. So many just don't and allow you to do it yourself as you said you could. I, for one will be a gentleman and contribute to spreading the positive energy through our society. Be Gentle today.

User Detail :  

Name : Ted S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Wales, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Broadband Technician, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    Roger, I agree with you. If they're able bodied, they should have to stand the same way they expect you to. If they're wearing high heels, tough. No one forced them to wear the stupid things. As for opening the door for someone else, I feel that whoever got to the door first should be polite enough to hold it for the next person. I've seen men surprised that I hold the door open for them. Why? I'm just as capable of opening a door as they are. And, if someone holds the door for you, please say thank you.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.