Independence Day not for all Americans?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

William
    Do other African Americans observe the Fourth of July holiday? For us, it has been nothing more than a day of cookouts and families gathering together. But we always remind ourselves of our ancestors being enslaved when America won its independence.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lesley22872
    Participant
    Be that as it may, if our ancestors hadn't we wouldn't be who we are today. And regardless of how we were treated then, in the end we all got benefited with independance.

User Detail :  

Name : Lesley22872, Age : 13, City : N/A, State : NA Country : United States, 

Y.
    I believe that most African Americans don't really 'celebrate' Independence Day as much as they enjoy the festivities that society at large sanctions for that day - since they typically get the day off work, anyway. My family has chosen to recognize and celebrate Juneteenth (June 19) as a day of independence in the black community. I have a young daughter, preschool age, and she will undoubtedly receive enough information about the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson and the Fourth of July to form her own opinions about it. Therefore, I know that as a parent it is my responsibility to provide her with the education and resources to understand and celerate her own heritage.

In order to be an actual celebration, I think an event, holiday, etc has to be meaningful to the parties involved. It's sort of like going to a wedding for someone you don't know, or don't know well, versus going for a close friend or relative. That is when you feel it. That is why I celebrate Juneteenth.

User Detail :  

Name : Y., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : telecom, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Adele
    Participant
    We don't celebrate either, for the same reasons. It amazes me that we are called unpatriotic when our ancestors were enslaved on July 4, 1776. We are one of the most patriotic races; we have lost a lot of lives trying to be free, when other cultures came through Ellis Island with more freedoms than African Americans.

User Detail :  

Name : Adele, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 42, City : PhiladelphiA, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

jb21118
    Participant
    Come on people - get over the pity party slave issue- and thank your lucky stars that your distant relatives were unfortunate enough to be enslaved. Otherwise, you may well be in the Sudan or some other equally miserable place. My fore fathers/mothers were indentured servants; sad for them, but otherwise I may not be enjoying the fruits of America.

User Detail :  

Name : jb21118, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 43, City : oklahoma city, State : OK Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dianna Wallace
    Participant
    well being from kansas city, MO we dont look at it it for the reasons it stands for eather its just anohter excuse for us to get together and BBQ and spend time with our familes which i thing is something the black familes have been doing on this day sense this first forth its just a time of fmaily for us. And an excuse to blow stuff up ;)

User Detail :  

Name : Dianna Wallace, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tammy
    Participant
    African Americans were enslaved long before the American revolution by Europeans and still are today within Africa. Slavery should always be remembered just as civil rights should be celebrated. But still think that everyday people are losing their rights and being forced into labor against their will. Issues that are dead in our country are still being practiced all over the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Tammy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Poconos, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : direct care staff, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard
    Participant
    Wow!!! This just confirms my long-standing opinion that we are not the 'United' States that the world might think we are. We are no 'melting pot.' Instead we are a 'soup pot' of individual, very discernible ingredients!!! Except for Native Americans of the surviving nations/tribes, who is a 'real American,' anyway?

User Detail :  

Name : Richard, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 44, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sterling
    Participant
    I don't celebrate Independence Day. My people were already free. (-:

User Detail :  

Name : Sterling, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Baptist, City : Norman, State : OK Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nikki
    Participant
    WOW! I didn't even know that this was a 'hot' holiday in the black community. When you choose not to recognize the day of American Independence, just keep in mind that the Americans that did the 'enslaving' retained that terrible mindset and way of life from the English and other Europeans who taught them to do it. To blame America as a country for an ancient tradition, indeed back to the Romans who enslaved the Jews, is wrong in itself.

User Detail :  

Name : Nikki, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 31, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : SAHM, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Duane
    Participant
    Sorry but most of the original slaves were already slaves in Africa before they were brought to America by Slave Runners. Slave Runners sailed to Africa and purchased slaves from differnet tribes. The captured enemy of the tribes or a tribesman who committed a major crime within his own tribe was made a slave or enslaved by that tribe. Don't get me wrong it was still horribly wrong for American's to purchase and own slaves but America did not invent the idea of slaves nor did it reincarnate it. Slavery was prominent in Africa before July 4, 1776.

User Detail :  

Name : Duane, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 33, City : Lancaster, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Substitute Teacher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    My understanding is that Independence Day celebrates the independence of our nation not any individual, group, or sub-group of the population.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 56, City : Fayette, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Retaired Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ron29638
    Participant
    In my humble opinion, if you would quit reminding yourselves about your ancestors, you would be better able to get into the spirit of things. Slavery was wrong, and it is sad that it was considered necessary or more profitable at the time. I have no idea what the social status of my ancestors was in 1776, but I can assure you that whatever it was, it has no bearing on me now. I am a disabled veteran, but still serve proudly wherever I can. You are free today because of Independence Day (sure, and later events circa 1865) . Rejoice in that.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron29638, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Hemiparesis, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 56, City : APO, State : NA Country : Foreward Location, Occupation : Pilot Training, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Francine25170
    Participant
    Give me a freaken break already. Find another country better than this one. Find me another country that finally decided that slavery was morally wrong and did something about it after thousands of years of slavery being a common occurence. (besides England which was the first country to outlaw slavery with America being the second). While not perfect, America is a wonderfully free country and you and your family can become anything that you want. The sky is the limit to you and yours if you want it. All races have had it hard in the past with being enslaved at different times in history. Yours just happens to be the most recently enslaved. Get over it already and celebrate your Country. Or, you could find another one to move to. It is cheap to fly and move. Hmmm? Can't find a better country can you!?

User Detail :  

Name : Francine25170, Gender : F, Age : 45, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 

Jamasiel
    Look at it this way - it's to symbolize what should be (and should have been) freedom for all, and began a system which meant ~progress~ towards equality. (I know we're not there yet...) Or heck...hope you at least enjoy the day off and accompanying activities.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamasiel, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Mixed mongrel., Religion : Taoist, Age : 32, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Web Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.