Hot Muslim clothing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Kristina
    I've noticed that Arabs, Middle Eastern people and Muslims wear lots of layers of clothing (especially the women), regardless of weather. When it is hot outside, how can one stay cool with all of this clothing? And also, how did this style develop when these groups originated from very hot, desert environments?

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ed S.
    Participant
    I've often wondered about his too. A book i'm reading explains that although the heavy clothes, which are often made out of wool (!), makes them sweat profusely... it also retains their prespiration, creating a cool environment. Kindof like a reverse igloo i guess.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : misc, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cynthia31768
    Participant
    Wearing clothing that covers the skin helps to prevent sunburning more than having the skin exposed. Also, if the clothing is loose-fitting, a good breeze can move through it. As far as the women, some choose to dress modestly or are required to do so in some countries.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31768, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Hayat R.
    Two reasons. For religious reasons, Muslim women are required to cover themselves in loose-fitting clothing, to the wrist and to the ankle (some people wear gloves, socks and face veils, but it's not neccessary) and to cover their head and chests with a scarf. In countries in the Mideast, where there are Christian Arabs, Jews and Muslims, the clothing of choice is long and loose - often white gowns and cloaks. The reason for this is that the clothing protects from the sun, the looseness allows for the breeze to pass through and the white reflects heat.

As a woman who practices 'Hijab,' or Islamic covering, I can tell you that we're usually not hot. It's strange, I know, but true. I wear long clothes and a scarf all year long and have never suffered from heatstroke or more than a certain level of discomfort. I attribute it to the fact that my body temperature is being well-regulated inside my clothing, and it's not greatly affected by the weather because it is insulated with cloth and protected from the sun.

User Detail :  

Name : Hayat R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caucasian/Asian mix, Religion : Muslim, Age : 20, City : Islamabad, State : NA Country : Pakistan, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.