Homosexuality: nature or nurture?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author

J-Harker21297
    Participant
    When does one choose to be a homosexual? What about the 12 year old kid who really thinks that most movie kisses make the whole practice look sort of unenjoyable and that despite what his friends think of her, Jenifer Lopez really doesn't hold that much appeal? Or when that kid is 15 and completely terrified because he keep on having Those Dreams about that one guy in his biology class, and every time he attempts to jerk off while thinking about various girls in various compromisng positions, nothing happens? Is the first thought that comes into his head 'Oh, well, I guess I'll be gay then. Y'know. Because I can.' Does anyone conciously make that choice? No. No one does. And very few straight people(at least the ones I know) would make the desision to be gay jsut because they could. Especially the straight men. Being gay is just part of who you are. Same with heterosexuality, how much hair you have or if you'll ever need braces. Some men really just aren't attracted to women. Some women really just aren't attracted to men. Thats the way it goes.

User Detail :  

Name : J-Harker21297, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 24, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

Donald Penner
    Participant
    I believe homosexuality is a choice. I have heard many people say that science has proved otherwise, however, the scientist whose work is often quoted has stated that that is the most common misinterpretation of his findings. Secondly,and I mean this in the most warm-spirited way possible: if homosexuality is natural, which means it is congruent with nature, then why isn't homosexuality prevalent within the animal kingdom? Of course, some may argue that there are some here and there, but no one can prove that there are, or have ever been, large populations of homosexual animals? In fact, if there were, wouldn't those animals be extinct? Lastly, one of the basic tenets of the scientific method is that everything must be congruent with nature. If homosexualality is incongruent with nature, then how can it be considered natural? I would great appreciate an honest, well thought-out reply?

User Detail :  

Name : Donald Penner, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Katharine
    As a gay person, I don't care why I'm gay. The U.S. Constitution protects its citizens on the basis of things that are inborn (e.g., race) and things that are chosen (e.g., religion). I don't have to insist that I was 'born this way' because I don't believe that choosing to be gay -- or being born gay-- is 'sinful.' Whether I was born gay or chose to be gay, I know that my partner and I are extremely moral, law-abiding, tax-paying, community-minded people who contribute much to our families, neighborhood, city, state, and country. It makes me very sad that we are treating a minority group so badly, when the vast majority are loving caring people who work hard and contribute so much to their communities. Sure, there are some gay people who engage in selfish, destructive behavior -- there are some straight people who do that too. Are straight people who are selfish or self-righteous 'born that way' or do they choose selfishness and self-righteousness? And if they choose it, can we outlaw it? Of course not. So why are we still having this argument? Because, despite what Jesus taught about the equality of ALL sins (except self-righteousness, which he taught was the worst sin of all), some people feel they have the right to say that some sins are bigger than others, and thus worthy of forcing into state and federal laws.

User Detail :  

Name : Katharine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Little Rock, State : AR Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    After all the Questions and good anwers, I am compelled to say, People live your lives, you only have one. People will argue till Jesus comes back again. They will try and push their santimonious beliefs on you regardless to how you feel. There is no concrete answer to this question, I don't think there has been, there is or ever will be a person on earth who is qualified to accurately answer this question of 'Homosexuality'. There are many unanswered questions, Why did Jesus Himself say...'Let the wheat and the tare grow together, and I will do the seperating'. Who actually wrote these things concerning homosexuality in the bible?, how many times has the bible been written and re-written? Could the writers have been homophopic as well? Why do some say that genetics does prove the future sexuality of the unborn? There are homosexual plants and animals, how did humans get excluded? Why do people commit suicide rather than face the criticism of being who they actually are. Why do people in high places sacrifice their families and careers because they can no longer hold their sexuality within. Why are small children exemplifying homosexual traits at very early ages. There are a thousand more questions that I could ask, but why? Why are the vast majority of church memembers gay and they keep going there each week feeling this is the right place to be, just to be be-littled by their so-called leaders and members, or they live two lives to keep the truth within.

User Detail :  

Name : James Nance, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 55, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Theology, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    It is a biological fact that no one is born 100% male or female. It is also a fact that the two sexes exist for the single purpose of coming together to making more humans. But as with most human behaviors, one's 'sexual preference' lies somewhere between instinct and what is learned. Attraction isn't determined by any one factor that science can define, and one's attitudes and preferences can change over time due to both positive and negative experiences. Humans are communal creatures who tend to gravitate toward groups in which they feel comfortable, so the real dilemma comes when dealing with friends and family---because in most cases you won't be regarded highly if you do anything they consider to be significantly abnormal. Personally I believe that the majority will continue to regard homosexuality as wrong regardless of law, science or emotional appeal. (I hope this helps!)

User Detail :  

Name : Randy Anderson, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 44, City : Grrenbrier, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : currently unemployed, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ginger
    This sounds pretty flippant, but it's the simplest way I know to make a point. At what point in your life did you 'decide' to be straight? Sexual orientation is not choice. It has to do with which gender you are attracted to romantically and sexually.

User Detail :  

Name : Ginger, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 44, City : Fremont, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Technician, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kevin
    As a gay man I can tell you that the only choice involved about your sexuality is whether or not to accept it and act upon it. Hopefully some day you will learn this. Perhaps for now there is a reason why for you one is a teacher and the others are students.

User Detail :  

Name : Kevin, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 49, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I'd say it is both, but for myself it was not a choice. Immediatly upon puberty I was fantasizing about other males, growing up in a small Kansas town believe me no one put that notion in my head.

User Detail :  

Name : Kirk Andersen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Disability : hiv, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 37, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : self employed, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Hughbe
    The Bible states that if a man lay with a man it is an abomination to God.

User Detail :  

Name : Hughbe, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 54, City : Manning, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kathy
    In my case, I believe that I was born gay. My parents are traditional straight Chinese simple folk who do not understand homosexuality. I have three older, straight, sisters. I was always the 'good girl' and never rebellious. But then I started having feelings for women that I didn't have for men. I tried dating men because I knew if I was really gay, it would change my life as I know it forever. I tried to be as 'straight' as possible, but I couldn't pull it off. I wasn't happy and spiritually I wasn't fulfilled. We are always yearning to find those special connections in life. I found mine with a woman. It's hard for me to understand why people insist that being gay is a choice. Would I choose to disappoint my parents? Would I choose to have them ignore me and not be part of my very happy life with my partner these past 5 years? Would I choose to be part of a minority group when I am already in two ( Chinese female in a white, male-preferred society )? Why would I make all the choices that would make my life more miserable? Because there wasn't a choice to make. I am Chinese, I am female, and I am gay. I do not tell others I am gay to advance any political or social agenda. I tell others because I am true about who I am, and that is the only way I can live in this world.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Asian, Age : 25, City : Montreal, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Administration, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

L
    I fully believe homosexuality is a natural thing. I personally think it is wrong, however I am attracted to men. I have never acted on this attraction, and I have always practiced heterosexual acts. When I was a very young boy, probably about 6 or 7, I found out I had gay tendencies (eventhough I didn't know what gay meant). My best friend (another male about the a year younger than me)and I were in the bathroom together. I asked him to stick his penis in my butt and pee in it. I really had no idea what I was doing, but that shows that the tendency was there then, and it is definitely present now. I just wanted to feel it in my butt. And no, I have never been sexaully molested or abused. I love my girlfriend of 4 years, and I love having sex with her, but I still fantacize about having sex with men. I know however, I will never act on it because I believe it is wrong, and it is wrong for me to fantacize about it.

User Detail :  

Name : L, City : annonymous, State : NC Country : United States, 

Keoki
    Yes, indeed it is nature. Who would ever chose to subject themselves to the social baises of our culture just to be gay? The terms 'alternative lifestyle' and 'sexual preferences' are used by a public seeking nice/polite terms for a perfectly good English term 'homosexual' thereby expressing prejudice and/or ignorance of facts.

User Detail :  

Name : Keoki, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 80, City : Asheville, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jess30772
    Participant
    I believe that homosexuality is genetic. There is scientific evidence to support a genetic trait for being gay. If you believe that it is genetic as I do, think about this: if God is the creator of all things and all people, then he certainly would have created teh genetic code. If part of the code he created for a person caused them to be gay, then he would have created them that way. God doesn't punish people for living the way they were born to live. How can he say that something he created in you is sinful? Also, fi you don't believe its genetic and think its a choice, ask yourself this: could you literally wake up one morning and think 'I want to have sex with a man today.' It isn't a decision! Why would anyone choose to live a life where they are ridiculed and discriminated against daily?

User Detail :  

Name : Jess30772, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 14, City : Lubbock, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

John
    Participant
    This gay male disagrees with you. (And I wasn't aware that things like this were up for popular vote.) I never chose to be gay. I spent 15 years hating myself and praying to be changed. It was only when I came to accept myself that I finally found peace and love. Whether it was genetic or some other uncontrollable factor, the fact is that I did not choose it.

User Detail :  

Name : John, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 36, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : IT Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeremy19988
    Participant
    if it was a choice trust me I would have made my life a lot easier and chosen to be straight it never was a choice for me ( I can only speak for my self ) so instead I chose to hide my sexuality from everyone and swam in the river of denile witch caused depression suicideal thoughts and self destructive behavior it became apparent even to me I had to make a choice as to accept my sexual orientation or not and I had been down the road that not accepting who I am lead so i chose to accept my self as I am with all of my failings changing only things that I have controll over as to it being a sin all I will say ' I rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints ' a Billy Joel Song

User Detail :  

Name : Jeremy19988, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Human, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : huntington, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : dishwasher, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.