High maintenance

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Pat19875
    Participant
    'High Maintenance' is a term used to describe selfish, spoiled, self-centered women who pout and moan when they don't get their way. The term is a reference to the effort needed to maintain a relationship. There is normal effort, and there is extraordinary effort. It is the extraordinary effort that leads to high maintenance.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat19875, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Troy, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Kali
    Participant
    It basically means that a woman (or man - yes, there are high maintenance men) requires a lot of money to keep themselves at the standard they desire. Examples: women who spend money every week or so for their hair, nails, clothes, etc., when all that is so superficial; someone who demands to be taken to expensive places when a pizza and a walk in the park is sufficient. In other words, spoiled.

User Detail :  

Name : Kali, Gender : F, Age : 45, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, 

J. I.
    A high-maintenance person makes lots of demands on others in terms of time, money, energy or attention. Someone with a chronic health problem could be high maintenance. So could someone who is simply spoiled. As 'Anonymous' suggests, a woman might be unjustly dismissed by a man as high-maintenance just because he's too self-centered to give of himself to even a normal degree. Do keep in mind that 'Anonymous' was unfortunately speaking more to her own disillusionment than to the spirit of your original question.

User Detail :  

Name : J. I., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 56, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Voiceover, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Tavares
    Participant
    High-maintenance is a term I and many of my friends use to describe a female's desire and need to have high-end, expensive things all the time. I don't belive it has anything to do with a male's lack of consideration or lack of concern. The female is simply drawn to these things and in most cases will refuse to be with a male who cannot offer them.

User Detail :  

Name : Tavares, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Mike20597
    Participant
    To Anonymous: You sound like the exact definition of high maintenance. I'm not a 'lazy male,' but I can certainly pick out the high-maintenance pain-in-the-ass in the group.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20597, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Stacey
    Participant
    High maintenance means a person requires A LOT to be satisfied. In my humble opinion, people like this do exist. If you don't think so, it's probably time to ask yourself if you're high maintenance. No offense. I've known both men and women who fit this description. My experience has been such that it's used to refer to a woman who needs a lot of attention, a lot of pampering, etc. For example, I have a female friend who is high maintenance within our friendship. She expects phone calls every night with the summary of the day; she expects for me to listen to her same woes over and over again; when she's dating someone she expects beyond exceptional -- perhaps even humanly impossible -- treatment. I really enjoy her company so to me it's worth it to listen to the same thing over and over. However, when I've diverged from this, she'd get upset. In a stretch of the term, it could be considered a prince or princess. Again, that's a very loose interpretation. If you haven't, watch 'When Harry Met Sally.' This term is used in the movie and could give you a better idea. I could tell you that I'm low maintenance. What does that mean to me? Well, if I'm dating someone, I don't expect him to always go all out. A card is plenty; I don't need a card, flowers and another gift. Calling me once a day/week (depending on the seriousness of the relationship) is fine; I don't need a phone call everytime you come back from the bathroom. It's probably something that once you're faced with it, you get it. In the meantime, check out that movie to get a good idea.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jehovahs Witness, Age : 28, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Diane
    Participant
    'High maintenance,' as I've heard it, refers to a person (male or female) who's very vain, shallow and materialistic. For example, a woman who won't leave the house without perfect hair and makeup and cries when she breaks a nail, or the guy who needs 'toys' like a flashy car and expensive clothes. It should never apply to the woman above who 'has a lot going for her.' That's called a well-rounded person, and you go girl - don't settle for anyone who calls you that just because he can't keep up with you. And one other thing - guys, when you complain that your girlfriend is high-maintenance because she works hard to look good, wouldn't you have to admit that her looks are probably what attracted you in the first place?

User Detail :  

Name : Diane, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : musician, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

E.K.G.
    Participant
    I dated a guy I would consider 'high maintenance.' He had to be with me every day, call me every night, got upset when I didn't call him as much as he called me and seemed hurt if I told him I just wanted to relax instead of going out. I have met several men like that, and now I immediately run the other way. Why? Some people say it's because I don't like commitment (boy, I sound like the guy generalization), but I think it's more that I need a little space in a relationship. Do other women feel the same way? Guys, do you feel like you need to know what the girl you're dating is doing every waking moment? Do you feel like you have to see her every day? Why must a relationship be so stressful?

User Detail :  

Name : E.K.G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 18, City : Columbia, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Skillet
    Participant
    It means that you ask for a lot of emotional support and reassurance each and every day. It means the other person may not be sure they can keep you in a good emotional state all of the time.

User Detail :  

Name : Skillet, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, City : harrisburg, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

jase
    Participant
    It means you have to constantly unruffle everything, They want want want. YOu can never do enough and in general they arent complete women. D. Willaims at 18 is obviously a spoled brat that needs to get a life aas do all high maint women and men They suck and are life suckers and they dont return the favor its 110 0 not 50/50.

User Detail :  

Name : jase, City : LA, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.