Helping out … or backing off?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    One word here--ask. Granted, some may snap at you. But then, some 'abled' people do too. I'd rather have someone ask me if they can hold a door for me, etc. than have someone allow it to smack me, even if I weren't disabled. Lending a helping hand to a fellow human being is never wrong. If you do, and you're snapped at, at least you took the high road. *smiles*

User Detail :  

Name : Hosanna Nelson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Too many to list, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Manhattan, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Beth Z .
    Being visually impaired and being friends with blind kids , I hear stories about people helping them out when they didn't need it. When disabled kids ( mind you I don't know much with mental disablities) who have been disabled all their life they are more adapted to it and usually can do fine on their own and will ask for help if they need it. Now if you see them struggling yeah you should help them out but just because they have a disablity doesn't mean they always need help.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth Z ., Gender : F, Disability : Blind, Age : 15, City : St. Charles, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Exton
    Participant
    There's really no way to know for certain, unless of course they ask for help. I personally just put myself in a different mindset about the matter. I try not to think of it as helping someone significantly less fortunate than myself (due to physical disabilities and such); rather, I think of it in the same way I would think of helping someone carrying alot of things - it's always nice to hold the door for someone with their hands full, even if they might be able to manage it on their own. Most people with disabilities won't mind, and may even like, the help. Perhaps some may be indignant, but they're typically in the minority.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Julia
    Participant
    I am in a wheelchair, and have been since I was around four. Sometimes when I get to school every day, no one is there to open the door. I stay there, kind of shy, waiting until someone walks up to open the door. I don't really say anything, as I'm too shy. If you can see that a person in a wheelchair looks like they need help, just ask. A simple, 'Do you need any help with that?' doesn't offend me, I'm glad for the gesture. If some people with disabilities take that negatively, they shouldn't, because it is just an act of kindness. Basically, just wait a few seconds and see if they attempt to do it themselves. Then ask. If they do attempt it, leave them alone. If they attempt and fail, ask. It's always a nice gesture, and makes my life easier.

User Detail :  

Name : Julia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : SMA, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 13, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.