Handicapped people cutting in line

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Holly
    How come people who are handicapped always want to be treated equally, but they always cut people in lines? If they want to be treated equally, shouldn't they wait like everyone else?

User Detail :  

Name : Holly, Gender : F, Age : 15, City : Central Square, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Kimmo
    I agree. People with disabilities should respect other people's rights in lines, too - treat them equally as they want to be treated. Being in wheelchair myself, I am familiar with the problem you described. I have conscientiously avoided cutting in line, although people usually expect me to do so. And that is the reason, I think, why many disabled people do it. They are expected to do so, as a form of positive discrimination.

User Detail :  

Name : Kimmo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : wheelchair user, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 25, City : Helsinki, State : NA Country : Finland, Occupation : assistant in government bureau, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa22822
    Participant
    Why don't you treat them fairly and jump in front of them or tell them you were in line, the same that you'd do to a person not disabled? No big deal.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22822, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Gaithersburg, State : MD Country : United States, 

Bob
    I know it seems unfair for us to cut in line. I ask if I can do so, which I learned at the University of Texas Medical Center outpatient pharmacy. My disability is not readily apparent, so my going to the handicap window for my medication normally results in my being ignored, sometimes for hours. One would think that a hospital would not act in such a manner. But I have found this behavior elsewhere as well. And as I think about this, it becomes difficult to remain polite.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Traumatic Brain Injury, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Age : 46, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Disabled/Retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Susan27501
    Participant
    I have a friend whom I admire and respect. She has cerebral palsy. She has a wonderful attitude about life and handles her challenges with great courage. She is never bitter about the fact that it takes her twice or three times as long as it would take me to get dressed. She never complains about her legs not doing exactly what her mind tells them to. Nor does she act bothered about the fact that she couldn't take notes the way I could when we were in University together. When she applied to university she had more paperwork to fill out (because of her disability). The fact is that it takes her almost twice as long to do most things. They just aren't as easy as they are for you and I. She never complains, and I don't think it would occur to her to cut to the front of the line. I'm not saying that every person with a disability has as good an attitude as she does, but I do think that if they are feeling the need to go to the front of the line, maybe they deserve to get a break for once. If all it takes is letting someone who is handicapped go ahead of you in line - I urge you to do it ... and be thankful that you don't half to go through the daily trials and tribulations that they do.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan27501, Gender : F, City : Vancouver, British Columbia, State : WA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

siouxZQ27875
    Participant
    If someone looking completely bushed and exhausted (at the grocery store, for example)is standing behind me, then I will let them in front - whether disabled, pregnant, old or just plain tired. Equality and politeness are not interchangeable terms - use your noggin and good sense.

User Detail :  

Name : siouxZQ27875, City : Merrickville, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Sammie28282
    Participant
    About cutting in line, I have a leg amputation, and I do not use a prostetic leg. I can tell you for some diabled people, standing for long periods of time (even for like 5 minutes) in a line can be very painful on your foot, or even cause pressure sores. I don't think it's right to just cut, but sometimes it's a better thing to do, because it causes so much physical pain just to wait in line.

User Detail :  

Name : Sammie28282, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 21, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jeff Cobner
    Participant
    Sounds like I am missing out in something. Only in Harrisonburg did people insist I cut them. I am in no hurry as I have a seat and have a van coming for me in plenty of time.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff Cobner, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Blind and wheelchair, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower class, 

CJ
    It really depends on the specific situation... My partner is in a wheelchair, as well as a couple of friends of mine, and to the best of my knowledge, none have ever cut into a lineup just because they had a disability. It it were something like a bathroom lineup, however, this could be because certain physical conditions add a greater urgency to the situation, in which case it may be justified. I'm sure there may be other situations as well. I know that at my bank branch, most of the tellers' counters are at around chest height, but there's one designed for people to be at seating level. There's only one general lineup for all of them though, and I've watched people near the front of the line encourage someone elderly, or in a wheelchair, etc who is further back in line to go ahead. If the accessible booth is free, the logic is that the person who needs it should go use it, rather than someone who doesn't need it tying it up for what may be long business that could be done with one of the many standing tellers... Anyway, those are just a couple of examples. If there's no real reason for it, though, I believe it would probably be inappropriate (and my partner has just agreed with me).

User Detail :  

Name : CJ, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : queer/pomosexual, Race : mixed race, Religion : Jewish, Age : 20, City : Halifax, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student/TA, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Thomas
    Participant
    I agree with Susan. Also, there are alot of us in wheelchairs or braces or crutches that seldom get out of the house and can't even sit up for very long. I can only be up and around for about four hours at a time and I need those special considerations when I go somewhere special. Thanks, Thomas

User Detail :  

Name : Thomas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 48, City : Lakewood, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Construction Project Manager, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Brandi
    My boyfriend has spina bifida, which means that he is almost completely paralyzed from the waist down, but has enough movement in his legs that he can walk when wearing braces on his legs and using crutches. The problem is that he's using his arms to hold his entire body up the entire time because his legs are not functional enough to stand up on his own, and as a result, after about 10 minutes, he starts getting very tired and his shoulders and arms start getting pretty sore. For that reason, he can't stand in a long line, like, for instance, when we go on vacation at some place touristy. It's just very hard for him to do - many places take this into account and give preference for this so that it doesn't exhaust him to do what you or I can do without even thinking about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Brandi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 28, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Gen
    Participant
    Perhaps their limitation is time dependant. My mom has severe hip and back problems that resulted from a car accident before I was born. Now she is getting up in age it plagues her a lot and even though she isn't overwight at all, its hard for her to walk to the mailbox. I've never known her to cut in line, but I would fully understand it. If shes on her feet for so long, her legs and hips physically give-out. She would use a wheel chair but the medical system makes it difficult for her to obtain one.

User Detail :  

Name : Gen, City : Reno, State : NV Country : Venezuela, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.