Haitian hatin’, or lovin’?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Lovely Romahnse
    Participant
    How do people feel about Haitians?

User Detail :  

Name : Lovely Romahnse, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, 

Letty
    Absolutely fine. What's wrong with being from Haiti? Or anywhere, for that matter?

User Detail :  

Name : Letty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Bella23343
    Participant
    I do not know Haiti or any Haitians very well. But I am very impressed by one major fact of Haitian history: Haiti was the very first 'new world' colony where enslaved African/African-descended people rose up against the colonial power (France, in this case) and overthrew that power, thereby winning their personal freedom and independence (in 1804 after a 13-year revolution). Saint Domingue (as Haiti was then called) had been France's best wealth-producing colony, and that wealth was being created through slave labor. There are other countries where enslaved Africans rose up and fought against their oppressors even though they did not gain independence, but this is hardly taught in schools. However, in Haiti the people were able to convert their struggle into independence. France and other slave-trading colonial powers ceased trade with independent Haiti, and the free nation suffered economically. Haiti has had corrupt leaders in more recent decades who brought greater impoverishment to an already poor nation, and that is why many Haitians leave their land for a better life. So, knowing their proud and sad history, I have high respect for Haitian people.

User Detail :  

Name : Bella23343, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Dominique
    Participant
    Thank you for that brief history. That is more than I've ever been taught in school about Hatians, or about any other types African history other than that of the United States and Eqypt, and I am about to finish my undergraduate career.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
    I've had bad experiences with just about every foreign Black in this country...Haitians, Jamaicans, Africans...but especially with Haitians. So while I won't disrespect Haitians (or any other group, for that matter), I'm not exactly looking to be 'pals' with them, either.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Shari
    Participant
    Back in the 80's early 90's, (in brooklyn) haitians had no respect. my relatives told me stories of when they were in school. they had to fight everyday because they were haitian. i am so proud of my people, and for the people who think every haitian does vodoo it is not true.

User Detail :  

Name : Shari, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Betty
    I look upon them as I would any other group of people: there are a few I'd really like, a few I'd go out of my way to avoid, and a vast majority that I'd be indifferent to, more or less. I've overheard some other kids complain about how noisy Haitian kids are or how they think they own the school, though. There are some that annoy me when they bump into me and don't say 'Excuse me' or anything to that effect, but I just attribute that to cultural differences.

User Detail :  

Name : Betty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Medford, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.