Goths all the same?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Katie
    Why is it that kids who are labeled 'goth' say that they are trying to be different, when all goths seem the same? I just dont understand.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Downingtown, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica28906
    Participant
    I have friends who are goth. They are trying to be different from everybody else, not follow fashon trends or 'pop' music. Usually they just wear what they actaully like and not care what anyone else thinks. This makes them all very similar to each other because since they are pushed away from everyone else they become friends. People are influenced by their friend's interests. Once you get to know them, they are quite different from each other. From a view point where you don't know them, though, they all seem to be the same people with the same clothes.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica28906, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 17, City : LC, State : RI Country : United States, 

Jackie
    Participant
    By different we mean, not like you. My friend's a goth. I'm a goth. But like you and your friend, you're entirely different people. She has blonde hair. I have black. She likes Aaron Carter. I like the Beatles.

User Detail :  

Name : Jackie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 13, City : des moines, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mara
    Participant
    perhaps to goths, all preppys seem to come from the same cookie-cutter too. If you go by population, the number of people self-identified as 'goth' is indeed miniscule. If you are one of the red fish in a shool of blue fish... And maybe you mis-understand them. They aren't necessarily trying to be different from other goths, just different from the main-stream socially expected (and accepted) norm.

User Detail :  

Name : Mara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : data entry, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Cody
    Participant
    When 'goths' dress the same, it doesnt mean they arent different, because dressing like a 'goth' is now just seeming like a trend. A 'goth' isnt defined by boots, or eyeliner, or tripp pants. Being 'goth' is a state of mind. If you are dark and/or disturbed on the inside, chances are you are goth. It doesnt matter if you dress like a 'preppy', or if you walk around looking like the singer of The Cure. Just because they look the same, does not make them all the same. You look like you are just stereotyping by their clothes.

User Detail :  

Name : Cody, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : Middletown, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jaime
    Participant
    Gothic people try to be different, yes. But that doesnt mean all of them will succeed. I think those people try to be different in the same way other people are trying to be different. So therefore, they are not any different from anybody else.

User Detail :  

Name : Jaime, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : lewiston, State : NA Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Mitchell-Beavers
    Participant
    I don't think they are trying to be diffrent from one another. I think they are acting a lot like the 'grunge' counter culture of the 90's. While they are diffrent from mainstream society they have a fairly standard issue of dress. While they want to be diffrent I have found they are most likely to suffer the most ridicule from their own sub-group if they don't fit in. Of course this is only what I think.

User Detail :  

Name : Mitchell-Beavers, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 19, City : Salem, State : VA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    It isn't just Goth KIDS who all look alike, I assure you. It's the whole 'having indy cred while maintaing the emotional security of being just like everyone else I associate with' thing. Or to put it a little more scientifically: 'group identity.' Being 'unique' in large groups is a social activity with a longstanding tradition among humans.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael W.
    Participant
    I think the reason they all appear to be alike has to do a great deal with the place they buy thier 'attire' I walked into a goth shop while at the local mall last week. The only difference between them and the rest of the shoppers is they only had one store to select from. My psych,friends claim it's about attention. The few goths I have meet are not as wiered or freaky as they would have you beleive. Most are pretty good kids just searching for a little bit of something to give thier present existence some meaning,'another way to say hey, I am here also, see me.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jim Paul
    Participant
    The funny thing is, they are just the same as they were 20 years ago! Take a look at old Bauhaus videos! :P

User Detail :  

Name : Jim Paul, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 44, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Technician, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Alyssa
    Participant
    When people consider themselves to be goth and different, it's basically a rebelion from society. They arent trying to be different from everyone, just from what society generally accepts. Labels and stereotypes are usually bullshit, but most kids who label themselves 'goth' are just using it to be protrayed differently than other kids. This coming from a ex-'goth'.

User Detail :  

Name : Alyssa, City : Cary, State : NC Country : United States, 

Craig Ellis
    Participant
    Like most everything else, the societal need to belong in humans causes like-minded (common interest) individuals to band together. The idea here is the regular concept of 'normal' simply doesn't fit. Alienated by their own culture, a sub-culture has emerged (this one specifically is an outcropping from punk) which they have joined with their own sense of values, aesthetics, and economics. The point is not to be 'virulently individualistic'-that is impossible- but rather separate from the norm from which we do not ascribe. There is a large cross-pollenation of underground cultures; I'm sure myself and others would not be detected by you on an everyday basis. Punk, goth, reggae, homosexuals (best partymongers on the planet) and more commonly come in contact with each other and live IMHO far more harmoniously than what I see in mainstream society.

User Detail :  

Name : Craig Ellis, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 35, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Princess
    Participant
    I think that they are just trying to be different from main stream polo shirt wearing kids. They think differently and see themselves as being alone. But everyone wants friends so they find people who are just like them.

User Detail :  

Name : Princess, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Ponca city, State : OK Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarah
    Participant
    Goths really are being different-different from you, and different from mainstream culture. Also, when they get a bit older it seems that they set themselves apart more from each other as well, and develope their own style, or even switch to something completely different from gothic- but equally or even more unusual.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : na, Disability : na, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 21, City : Swannanoa, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Crew at a pizza place, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rainn-Bryant
    Participant
    i used to be a goth kid in high school i wore all black make-up nail polish clothes etc. just like the other kids in my click. We were labled as freaks. which we we proud of :). we just didnt want to be like the jocks , nerds , preppies and what not. it was just a high school thing for me. everybody wants to be different but accepted.

User Detail :  

Name : Rainn-Bryant, City : Waynesboro, State : VA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.