God: Who needs Him (or It, or Her)?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Romas
    Why is there a need to believe in a God? Is not the God concept outdated? What's wrong with dependence on oneself?

User Detail :  

Name : Romas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 70, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : wholistic consultant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matthew21846
    Participant
    I would suggest that maybe your concept of God is outdated. As I have grown, so has my concept of my God. At first, it was decided by my parents, then I let go of the whole idea of God and religion. Today, I have a comforting grasp on my God. I will also tell you that my God is not the one you hear so much about today. To think that God stopped talking to us 2,000 years ago is unbelievable to me. Be leary of a belief that limits or defines God too narrowly. God is bigger than that. With respect to self-reliance, my God would have me put my trust nowhere else.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew21846, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 42, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : actor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ronald V.
    Is the concept of God outdated? From the beginning, God was. The ancients believed in God. People throughout the ages have believed in God, whether they would listen to God or not. The Bible says in Romans 1:20 that 'Ever since God created the world, his invisible qualities, both his eternal power and his divine nature, have been clearly seen ... They know God, but they do not give him the honor that belongs to him... V 25: 'They exchange the truth about God for a lie.' Romans speaks to the question quite clearly. Many civilizations in the past have tried to deny God, and have adopted strange practices that did away with themselves. Self-reliance and dependence on God are not mutually exclusive. As a parent, I do for my children what they cannot do for themselves. But I would be amiss to do for them what they can do themselves. They would not mature. But God does provide for those who cannot do for themselves. Only in a very limited sense can we depend on ourselves. Our health, our ability to work, our desire to work and our opportunity to work are all gifts to us.

User Detail :  

Name : Ronald V., Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 47, City : Edmonton, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lisa
    As long as there is the unexplicable, as long as there is suffering, and as long as there is love, there will be a need for God. Self-reliance is an admirable goal for those situations in which we have choices with clear answers. But much befalls a person outside of their control; death, disease, loneliness, rejection, celebration, love, the unexpected. And many decisions are not so clear. Faith is a leap of the irrational. It's the conscious decision to believe and TRUST in something that has no proof. I don't forsee any kind of future where humanity has all the answers, where faith is outdated, so in the meantime I take great comfort in my faith and in God.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Ethan J.
    Participant
    Some people belive in God because their parents do. If 2000 years ago God spoke and the people belived in God, they taught their children to believe in God even though the children never heard God. If God has not spoken since 2000 years later, this does not mean God does not exist. It only means there may be a God, and people must choose by faith to believe in God.

User Detail :  

Name : Ethan J., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Joel Nicholas
    Participant
    I don't think God has been defined properly in the past (and at the present). I was raised in strict Catholicism, but my beliefs have changed drastically from that viewpoint of 'God'. Many people throw 'God' around like dirty laundry. Various renditions of 'God' have caused millions of people to be persecuted physically and mentally. I feel it is an absurd notion that people need 'God' to instill morality. I come to this conclusion because so many have suffered and so much corruption has stemmed from religious beliefs. Religion has been used to oppress one denomination of humanity, by another denomination of humanity. So it is hard to believe that any religion is correct. Apparently none of them have truly found 'God'. In fact 'God' isn't lost, and doesn't need to be found. Humans are lost, because we are still ignorant of the universe we find ourselves in. As an example, many religions have worshiped natural disasters as signs of 'God', but are they? Do you believe a thunderstorm is a sign of 'God' imposing his will? Or do you take a thunderstorm at its scientifically described, benign phenomenon? I do not wish to state that 'God' doesn't exist, because then I would be stating the same as those that state he does. I do feel that humanity must work together to figure out this universe so that we may understand life (all life, not just habitually bipedal hominids) and its purpose, if any purpose is to be found. I feel humans are very immature, and self centered. We feel as though we are it, and the universe is here for us. In a sense it is here for us, but we are owed nothing, we must humbly recognize that we are on our own, and should scientifically understand, learn, and respect the universes defining laws i.e. gravity, biology, thermodynamics, chemisty, and the unknown etc. Imagine if we all worked together without the interfence of a belief in 'God' or petty ethnic, or racial differences we would be better off. The fact that we are all human, with varying genetic expressions, should lead credence to the fact that the universe is not a static creation.

User Detail :  

Name : Joel Nicholas, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Holyoke, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

S.s.
    How can you say what your God would or would not do? If God can do what he pleases then maybe he chose to stop talking to us physically and put what he has to say in the Bible.

User Detail :  

Name : S.s., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student/Admin Assist., Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

S-West29527
    Participant
    First of all I can't make you believe in God. But, I would challenge you to study the bible for yourself and see what it tells you. The belief in God is not just some trend that goes out of date. Look at the Bible for example. It's been around longer than any other book written in history. Also, there are more copies of the Bible than any other book ever written. That in itself tells you that there must be something about the Bible. It's God breathed. Until you know who Jesus is and except him as your Lord and Savior you will be depending on yourself no matter what. Even when you're a Christian it's hard to give everything to God. We all have a sinful nature and tend to want to control things. But I personally have experienced the power of Jesus Christ in my life when I depend on him wholly. Like I said I encourage you to study the Bible yourself and maybe talk to a minister.

User Detail :  

Name : S-West29527, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Porterville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Patrick Wood
    Participant
    'God is dead' - Nietzsche, Friedrich The god concept will never be outdated as long as the masses remain in a subserviant fixture. God is only neccessary to those weak-willed souls who lack the strength of independance. As long as you consider God as something above you, you will never truely be free.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick Wood, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Niagara Falls, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Research Assistant, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Nicky
    Participant
    Until I was in my late 30s, I considered myself Atheist/Agnostic, because of the messages I got from so-called christians, who did not practice what they preached. And I just couldn't make myself swallow the whole Jesus story, etc. Since I've been a feminist since birth, the idea of a male deity was not one I could accept either. I started reading about Wicca and found that the 'Gods of Old' were more to my liking. I have always been an animal rights person too, and Paganism/Wicca is very animal rights friendly. I have found a lot of inner peace since I accepted the Goddess. It took me a loooooong time to allow myself to pray to Her. I had always considered the acceptance and reliance on a Deity a lack of strength. So many positive things have happened since my acceptance of the Goddess. I must share this story with you. A few years back we were hit by a fierce hail storm that sent people to the hospital and caused major windshield and car damage. The cars parked on either side of mine were badly damaged, but mine was untouched. Then a few days later, another storm threatened and my coworkers put their cars in the parking garage...I chose not to, and the storm blew over. My supervisor said to me, 'Maybe there's something to this Pagan thing.' There is!!! Blessed Be

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

noha
    Participant
    i totally agree with mathew ,& i'd like to add that ,as a muslim,God hasn't stopped talking to me2000 years ago,in fact ,each time i read the koran(our holy book) i feel ALLAH is tlking to me , a hadith (said by the prophet) says : if you want to talk to ALLAH pray, if you want Him to talk to you,read the koraan. we also have a special parayer for when you don't know wether to do something or not to or when you want to chose between two things ,you do that prayer and ALLAH sends you signs ..so he is guiding you and you know that whatever happens that is the best for ou,another prayer is that of need ,when you need something you pray and then ask god with certain words,and then you know that whenever this thing happens will be the best time and you'll have asked it from ALLAH who is 'closer to you than the vien in your wrist'<-- this is a verse of koraan ...and so on ,we muslims consult ALLAH in everything we do and belive that he chooses for us what's best so we reach peace of mind and contentness with what we have. how can you have such a gift and then say God is outdated?!

User Detail :  

Name : noha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Muslim, Age : 16, City : cairo, State : NA Country : Egypt, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael20679
    Participant
    Humans aren't purely rational creatures. We also have an emotional side, and for many people, this side demands support the rational side can't give. This doesn't explain all theism in the world, but the way your question is phrased, that didn't seem necessary.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20679, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : bi-curious (mostly straight), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Livingston, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : undergrad, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Exton
    Participant
    Ah ha, you have made the first step towards secular humanism. Your are indeed correct; to many well educated people, the concept of a god is outmoded. However, there is one reason that this is not true for civilization as a whole. It is often said that we life in an age of science; this is not true. We only live in an age that benefits from science. Most people, even educated ones, do not have a good understanding of the nature of the universe and our place in it, nor are people taught in educational institutions the basis of rationality and logic, which is necessary to make conclusions based on empirical evidence rather than assumptions, emotions, or faith. It will be a while, if ever, that the whole of a civilization will be educated enough to shed itself of outmoded traditions.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.