From a former racist…

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

keri
    I have seen both sides of racism, between asian people and white australian people. I am of asian (korean) appearance but was adopted into australia by white australian parents, so i have grown up with western culture and predominantly white schoolmates. I have seen racism in the playground and on the street, with comments like 'go back to your own country!' or 'go and eat some rice', even down to 'all asians are ugly!' But i have also been treated by asian migrants as one of their little clique, which i find racist in itself as there are groups in australian society (i am trying not to generalise) who let you into their circles based on your looks. I have had chinese people who have tried to be all friendly with me, based on my looks like its 'us' against white society. They don't bother to get to know who i am, or i am sure they would be highly embarrassed. I am not racist, but I can see that you do make a point. Anyone can be racist.Not just those who have had a 'white' upbringing. There are good people and there are bad people in every race, so racism shouldn't be tolerated from ANYONE.

User Detail :  

Name : keri, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : perth, State : WA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Scott
    Participant
    'Me,' why do you assume that a violent hate crime against a white person didn't happen? Why do you refer to it as an 'incident that you wish to call racial'? Black folks commit hate crimes against white folks, just like any race commits hate crimes. Blacks don't have any lock on sainthood in that regard. And unless you're quite a bit older than you sound, you personally never got ousted from a bus seat or barred from dressing rooms. That's just something you've heard about. I can tell you from my own experience that many black folks are thoroughly racist. I was brought up by devout Christian parents who raised me not to be racist, but after sending my own children to city schools where they were relentlessly attacked, bullied and harassed by black kids, I've changed. I could never get any help from white school administrators, because they were afraid of being tagged as racists if they disciplined black kids. I could never get any help from black parents, because they were pleased that their kids were being rotten to white kids. After all, they're the ones who raised their kids to hate whites. What's paradoxical is, my kids are now grown and they don't have a racist bone in their bodies. They've been the victims of racism, and so they see it as wrong and evil. I, on the other hand, no longer look at black people the same. Once I get to know a black person, if I feel they're trustworthy, I'll let down my guard. But that guard is in place for a good reason. After my experiences trying to keep my kids safe, I feel wiser but much more hopeless about the racial divide.

User Detail :  

Name : Scott, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 46, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Editor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard29753
    Participant
    Since when have you (or anyone you know) had to give up their seat on a bus? Why must some African Americans keep dwelling on what happened 50 to 100 years ago? How long must today's whites have to answer for the travesties inflicted by our ancestors? Today's Germans are horrified at what took place in their past....so are the vast majority of white Americans. Unfortuntely there is nothing we can do to change things, although I bet almost (I say 'almost' instead of 'everyone' because all races/ethnic cultures have their bad apples)all whites would go back in time & stop slavery if they could. You are correct about the police brutallity, as well as some of the other things you mentioned. However, to paraphrase Mr. Cosby; look internally at your own race. Look at the crime statistics. Just maybe the black culture perpetuates some of its own problems these days. Why continue to chock it up to past (way past) discriminative acts by whites. And yes, discrimination does go both ways. Open your eyes. Try to be objective about racial issues. Your attitude is what is resented most by whites today...not your skin color. We do not owe you anything and should not have to suffer your scorn for deeds done before most of our parents were even born. No doubt discrimination against blacks still exist. Its certainly getting better and would continue to do so at a much faster rate if people like you would let go of the past and try to fix today. I am truly sorry and very embarrassed about the acts of the past and ones that still exist today. I wish I could blink my eyes and make the problem go away. Your bitterness and sense that you are the victom does nothing to promote the easing of tension between our races.

User Detail :  

Name : Richard29753, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 43, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : company owner, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Dear Kathy, How brave you are! Thank you for your post. I don't have the words to express how proud I am of you! But how did you pull yourself out of it, as you say? I'm asking b/c I am trying to understand racism myself. If you would like to talk more about your experiences, you can email me at cvillemacka@aol.com. I'm not writing a book or anything...just trying to understand humanaity better, so anything we talk about will be between us. Thanks again!

User Detail :  

Name : lea ann douglas, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Pagan, Age : 31, City : charlottesville, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jonath
    Participant
    The United States is still a predominantly white country. White racism is therefore much more publicized than counterracism, because it does harm on a much larger scale than racism harbored by other races. I do not know what ethnic group the people who perpetrated the hate crime against you belonged to, but I have been the victim of racism more often from non-whites than whites. I realize this does not mean whites are less racist. The truth is they might be just as racist, or even more so, but because there is so much emphasis on suppressing white racism nowadays, they might only be racist inwardly. Blacks, on the other hand, are a lot more open about it. They tend to be a lot more direct about racial relations and stereotyping, and when racism is involved, they are ruder. Thankfully, I have never been involved in anything too damaging, just annoyances that remind me that this is not my country. What this taught me was that being the target of racism does not teach one to not be a racist oneself. Instead it probably makes someone worse. People who are victims of prejudice might take all of their suffering and turn it against another group. Racism doesn't just cut 'both' ways. Races are more than just black and white. Racism cuts all ways. I'm glad you are a former racist. Please always remember that racists are not the majority, so don't let the few shape your opinion of things.

User Detail :  

Name : Jonath, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 19, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bill-G23231
    Participant
    As a white man I can't use the word 'nigger' because the history of the word is too strong. But as a gay man I can use the word fag. Is it a double standard? Yes. My advice to you is to learn about American minority relations. I think that if you look at it from dominant groups versus minority groups, it would help you out tremendously.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill-G23231, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 31, City : Ft Dodge, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Tim-I
    Participant
    I agree, but as the new anti-racism is spreading, it's moving a bit too fast for its own good and seems to be reversing the roles slightly (not that it's nearly as bad for white people as it was for people previously discriminated against). I believe this is unconsciously inspired by the horrible things we are told our people have done to African Americans in the past.

User Detail :  

Name : Tim-I, Gender : M, City : Rochester, State : NY Country : United States, 

Jay31354
    Participant
    You couldn't be more correct. I'm not from the United States but am amazed by the amount of anti-white hate in the media and in the schools. Whites can't be proud of their European ancestry without being considered racist, can't get together with other whites without being considered racist, can't oppose affirmative action without being considered racist, can't question immigration policies without being considered racist and absolutely can't even mention for a second that some minority groups contribute, in part, to their own failture. As long as you don't actually hate or dislike (for no reason) any other group (which I'm not advocating,) then I'm definitely with you. There are probably a hundred million Americans who understand you. But keep away from those hate groups, they're nothing but trouble.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31354, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Courtney
    I agree that there may seem to be more discrimination of whites against blacks. However, Blacks are not the only people who have a history of discrimination. As a Native American I am discriminated against even though I look white. Some people say that Native Americans are nothing but drunks and that they are all stupid. This is because of past and present discrimination. My people have been through similar trials as black people. They were assimilated, murdered, their culture was destroyed and their language almost lost. Worst of all their land was taken away. Discrimination against Native Americans continue to this day. Native Americans if they wish to live amongst their people and receive the supposed reparations from the government are forced to live on reservations. The problem with reservations is that the schools only go to Grade 6, if a young person wants to go beyond Grade 6 they have to leave the reservation and be shunned by their people. (Fortunately I have had the opportunity to go to Univeristy as my Grandfather sold his rights card and I have to pay for university, which I have worked very hard to get to.) This is probably the most systematic racism I have seen. Black people have the opportunity to go to high school, university and post-graduate studies. They should relish in the attention of anti-racism that is rampant in our society. Unfortunately, not only black people are discriminated against, racism is both ways. Any race can discriminate against another race, this is also seen in religion. Look at the discrimination against Muslims. Maybe YOU should step outside of yourself and look at the bigger issue here. Blacks aren't the only people discriminated against.

User Detail :  

Name : Courtney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native American/British/German/Ukranian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : University Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

LeTonne22906
    Participant
    Since your statistical information isn't revealing much, I have a question. Is it possible that you are hanging on to passed down prejudices and/or personal incidence instead of experiencing at least 150 years of your life in America? I am of diversified ethnic backgrounds including African, Asian, Caucasian, and Native American. Three out of four of my grandparents were immigrants; two by force, not choice. (Those two, by the way, were Asian and Caucasian.)They chose their life mate by content, not culture or colour. I have had biased life experiences. I react with a smile and this simple statement: 'It's sad to me that you will miss much in life due to your conscious choice of ignorance.'. History can give any individual a reason to further racism, prejudice, hatred or fear. There are unending sources for every ethnic classification on the planet. Embracing the negative aspects does no good for you or anyone else. You can't change history, but you can the future.

User Detail :  

Name : LeTonne22906, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : African, Asian, Caucasian, and Native American, Religion : Christian, Age : 39, City : Small Town, State : MT Country : United States, Occupation : Mom, Wife, Cultural Craft Preserver, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Mark22086
    Participant
    I agree entirely with you, Living in the United Kingdom (A cultural melting pot just like the USA), I find it to be an increasing issue. One relative issue to me involves some ethnic students at my school, who constantly 'reaped the benefits' of being a minority, whilst dishing out a good 90% of the racism at that school. For example, if they got a bad result at school, they would threaten to take the school to higher authority, because 'I only got a bad grade because Im Middle Eastern!'. That would soon frighten the school into giving them a higher grade. However, the number of times that these people have dished out some really nasty racist comments/grafitti etc to us is amazingly high. There is nowhere for us to go. Imagine a white kid goes to his teachers and says 'This guy here was being racist towards me'. That would be laughed at. The other way round though, would see the white kid in prison. Now Im not saying that ALL ethnic minorities are ALL racist, but there are many times and instances that I see of Ethnic Minoroties using their race as an advantage, whilst being very VERY racist. Someone says to me 'white trash' and everyone says 'you go get him!' I say anything similar to that against that person and I would be kicked out the school. Are we living in a fair world, or are the balances going too far the other way?

User Detail :  

Name : Mark22086, City : Newcastle-upon-Tyne, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

SK28825
    Participant
    I know that many African- Americans will not agree that racism is double sided, but I disagree. For example, I have heard African-Americans openly call whites crackers. That is an offensive name to me. It states that whites are all dry, flaky, square and boring. On the other hand, the n word incites riots. I know that it is not the 1950's anymore and that it is not as an offensive of a word. I am not against any race. I have friends of many races, but I think insults hurt the same matter what color your skin is. We can't do anything to change the past. What happened happened. Many whites ( at least not much of the younger generaton) did not have a part in such vulgar racist behaviors that happened in the past. It was not fair to own a person, but people today cannot be held accountable for the actions of their forefathers. We are accountable for our own actions. This country allows free speech, so I am able to say what I wish here. Even if I am ostracized for saying the racism is double sided, I don't care. It is an issue that must be brought up.

User Detail :  

Name : SK28825, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    Let's FACE it, everyone is racist. You don't have to hate a particular ethnic group to be racist, it all begins with stereotyping. I think the reason many people don't understand that whites can also be discriminated upon, is, first of all, because white people, let them be from Ireland, France...are regarded upon as the same, and people always say how white men and women never suffered, are always glorified. Well the Irish were frowned upon when they first came to America, the slaves are all considered to be alcoholics...Everyone profiles. It's sad, but I doubt if it will ever change. I understand you may be angry, but look at it from someone else's point of you. What is the ultimate social standard? A white Anglo-Saxon male. The glorification of WASPS is the Arian supremacy, but in subtle. A

User Detail :  

Name : ScarletteLastar, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Half Black-Half White, Religion : Humanist, Age : 22, City : Montreal, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : student/receptioniste, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    And the amount of anti-"Anglo" sentiment is horrifying. What "white" people need to realize is that our long struggle to evolve from our racist ancestors has not been fully shared with our fellow citizens of other races. While most educated "minority" people are enlightened enough not to act like what you have suffered. Far too many, especially those who don't identify as American, fully expect to treat whites in 2009 the way whites treated their ancestors in 1850. The "get whitey" attitude you describe is so mainstream in Southern California that you hear it on the radio, see it on TV and read it in the newspaper...with no apologies.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.