Flipping hair is prejudiced?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Dominique
    Participant
    I have never heard of such. I used to work in fast food, and the only problem I could see with you flipping your hair is that it could get into the food, and create a bigger problem among customers.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominique, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Scientist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Nia20209
    Participant
    I don't understand how flipping one's hair could be considered a 'prejudiced action.' If a girl's hair is in the way, it's got to be put out of the way, somehow. Maybe she was mad about you touching your hair in a place that serves food or something and didn't know how to express that. To me, her statement makes about as much sense as saying brushing your teeth makes you a racist!

User Detail :  

Name : Nia20209, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : art student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

JAMARA
    Wow. Who told you black women 'do not have the ability to grow long beautiful hair'? What are we, amphibians? What's wrong with you? I know too many black queens with long beautiful hair. Hmm, just to name a few: Vanessa Williams, Aaliyah, Chili from TLC, Alicia Keys, Lauryn Hill, Vivica Fox... And these are not weaves.

User Detail :  

Name : JAMARA, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : exec asst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ivana21246
    Participant
    I've heard it, but only on televison. Black girls I'm friends with never told me anything like that, and I do play with and flip my hair, a lot. I saw it in a book and on Dateline before, and the reason given was that many black women cannot flip their hair like that, and that it's like we (white women) do it to show off.

User Detail :  

Name : Ivana21246, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Lancaster, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Middle class, 

Frit
    Flipping hair in and of itself is not a prejudiced action. Many people of non-black descent assume black people want long, stringy hair, especially when they see black chicks with hair weaves. What I have noticed accompanying the hair flipping at any given time is eye rolling, sighing, a negative attitude, etc. Some of these chicks even go as far as to flip their hair at or on you before walking away. Granted some just need to get the hair out of the way; no prob. But what one should be looking at is the attitude, the conscious and unconscious intent of the action. In my experience, there are many things that white people do that offend minorities across the board due to unearned privilege and lack of empathy. In the end, often the situation is trivialized into something that everyone else is too uptight about., i.e. the simple action of flipping hair, when that is really the surface issue and the result of being inconsiderate.

User Detail :  

Name : Frit, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 

Redeemed-One30106
    Participant
    Your boss' comment ranks way up there as one of the more ridiculous statements about race relations. Comments like that perpetuate racism and stereotypes. It's been said here before, but I will say it again: please don't base your opinion of an entire race by the actions of a few. How are flipping hair and being prejudiced related? Come on, get real.

User Detail :  

Name : Redeemed-One30106, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 54, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

conny
    Again, this is so frustrating. Do you really think black people are so much different than whites or any other ethnicity? It is not that black people are incapable of growing their hair. there are a lot of black people who have long hair (not weave). you really need to stop buying into stereotypes. Many black people put all those chemicals in their hair to live up to white Amercia's standards, and in doing so those chemicals break their hair off. Black people who refuse to put those chemicals in their hair have long flowing hair once it gets straightning.

User Detail :  

Name : conny, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    William, fortunately your statement does not apply to every African-American woman. I am an African-American woman who in 2000 cut off my relaxed, shoulder-length 'bouncin' & behavin' hair because I was sick and tired of white society dictating to me what is beautiful and what is not. I decided that my natural hair was just as beautiful and acceptable as anyone else's. Almost three years later, I have a headful of thick, beautiful African-textured hair, and I feel I have come full circle as an African-American woman. And I am happy. Bottom line: I am no longer interested in being 'acceptable' to white America, or black America, for that matter, with respect to my hair. White and black America must accept me, exactly as I am, in all my beautiful black glory.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D. Murray
    Participant
    I'm black and have been smacked in the face too many times to count by people swinging their hair. Not just whites. I think hair should be kept in place, especially if it hinders anyone else. Also, I dont think anyone has to envy hair (If they do they're stupid!) Thirdly I hardly think that a fast food restaurant is any place for anyone to be playing with their hair.

User Detail :  

Name : D. Murray, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student/ Literacy Tutor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

JAMARA
    Taunted by their beauty? I think not. You should have put the word beauty in quotation marks, chick.

User Detail :  

Name : JAMARA, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : exec asst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sheri R.
    Participant
    I don't believe a white woman flipping her hair is a sign of prejudice, unless the woman is flipping her hair because she knows that the average African American's hair will not flip in the same manner. This has a history. A white woman flipping her hair around was seen as a sign of beauty and because African American hair is less likely to 'bounce and behave,' and African Americans have been constantly told that their hair is ugly because of this, many blacks feel offense when they see white women constantly flipping their hair. Personally, I just think it's not a good idea to flip one's hair around food products. If i were your manager, I would have asked you to wear a hair net of put your hair in a ponytail to avoid the flipping altogether. But no, I do not think you were being prejudiced, just unaware of the history.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheri R., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 41, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.