Flipping hair is prejudiced?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Mary
    Participant
    I worked with a lot of African-American women at a fast-food job when I was 16. I was given a warning by my boss for flipping my hair because the African-American women said it was 'a prejudiced action.' They wouldn't explain to me why. To African-American women: If you think a white woman who flips her hair is prejudiced, why do you feel that way?

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Winston-Salem, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth
    I don't believe that it's as much prejudiced as it is not a clean practice while working around food or a place that serves food. You should recognize that no one likes to find hair in their food, and when you flip your hair that's basically what these ladies were saying.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 22, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Government, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

s
    I'm not black but I would think it's because black people don't have hair that they can 'flip. It's silly, but I guess prejudices are.

User Detail :  

Name : s, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Muslim, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Denisia25840
    Participant
    I don't think it is prejudiced unless you are doing it to get on a black person's nerves. Swinging your hair comes naturally if you aren't black. If you asked a black person what bothers them the most about their body, they would probably say their hair. Every other race in the world has flowing hair.

User Detail :  

Name : Denisia25840, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Chantilly, State : VA Country : United States, 

Nia
    Participant
    I don't understand how flipping one's hair could be considered a 'prejudiced action.' If a girl's hair is in the way, it's got to be put out of the way, somehow. Maybe she was mad about you touching your hair in a place that serves food or something and didn't know how to express that. To me, her statement makes about as much sense as saying brushing your teeth makes you a racist.

User Detail :  

Name : Nia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : art student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

William
    I do not think black women find this a prejudiced action. They are made to feel less than because most of them do not have the ability to grow long, beautiful hair. Beautiful hair is seen as a very attractive, feminine feature by men, and when you do not have it, envy rears its head. Hair tends to be a touchy subject with black women, and you flipping yours may have created tensions at work. Do not forget that it was black women who coined the term "good hair."

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Finesse
    Sometimes I consciously flip my hair to get it out of my way. At other times I might do it subconsciously just out of habit. I've never heard of hair-flipping being offensive. I'd be upset if someone (of any race) did it over my food or hit me in the face with their hair. That's just plain gross. Was your boss African American? Maybe you were the one experiencing prejudice.

User Detail :  

Name : Finesse, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 29, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, 

Sheri R.
    Participant
    I don't believe a white woman flipping her hair is a sign of prejudice ... unless the woman is flipping her hair because she knows that the average African American's hair will not flip in the same manner. This has a history. A white woman flipping her hair around was seen as a sign of beauty, and because African-American hair is less likely to 'bounce and behave,' and African Americans have been constantly told that their hair is ugly because of this, many blacks feel instant offense when they see white women constantly flipping their hair. Personally, I just think it's not a good idea to flip one's hair around food products. If i were your manager, I would have asked you to wear a hairnet or put your hair in a ponytail to avoid the flipping all together. But no, I do not think you were being prejudiced, just unaware of the history. I worked with a lot of African-American women at a fast-food job when I was 16. I was given a warning by my boss for flipping my hair because the African-American women said it was 'a prejudiced action.' They wouldn't explain to me why. To African-American women: If you think a white woman who flips her hair is prejudiced, why do you feel that way?

User Detail :  

Name : Sheri R., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 41, City : san francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kayne26514
    Participant
    I don't think flipping hair is prejudiced, but it is a way to say 'screw you.' I do it all the time, especially to females, because it's just a brush-off.

User Detail :  

Name : Kayne26514, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 18, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Anna
    Participant
    That's pretty odd. I think the people you formerly worked with are a little touched in the head. I have heard before of some people believing that that action is prejudiced, but it isn't. Some black women who feel that it is prejudiced probably feel that way because they feel you're 'taunting' them with your beauty. (Example: Beauty is defined in America as having straight, long hair...etc) In my opinion, your boss was wrong to reprimand you for that. They couldn't explain it to you because there is no reason. Just years of being brainwashed. I flip my hair, especially when it's in my way.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Race : Black (Ethiopian)/Indian (East India), Religion : Jewish, Age : 19, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Redeemed-One30105
    Participant
    Your boss' comment ranks up there as one of the more ridiculous statements about race relations. Comments like that perpetuate racism and stereotypes. It's been said here before, but I will say it again: please don't base your opinion of an entire race on the actions of a few. How are flipping hair and being prejudiced related?

User Detail :  

Name : Redeemed-One30105, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 54, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Adriana25156
    Participant
    Just to let you know, and I know you did not mean this offensively, but some of us can flip! I'm not biracial, but my family has been so mixed with white and Native American blood that my hair is straight enough to flip. I even have static electricity problems! Generalizations like 'black people don't have hair they can flip' implies we all look one way, when we come in as many shades as the rainbow, with as many hair types as you can imagine.

User Detail :  

Name : Adriana25156, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

JAMARA
    Why DO white girls do that flip thing? Even black women who have long hair manage to move their hair from their face in a normal way, without the "flip." Explanations?

User Detail :  

Name : JAMARA, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : hampton, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : exec asst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

N.D
    Participant
    I agree with you on this. I'm a mulato female and grew up around black people only. Some of you reading this might find it strange, but over the years I've developed a habit of not letting my hair down because I always fear that some black female will think I'm better than them if I flip it. But if it's in my way I need to flip it. I know what I'm talking about, and I know black women's attitudes when it comes to hair flipping: most of them think you're trying to rub the fact that you have 'good hair' in their faces.

Don't get me wrong, all races of women have that "hatin' " reaction when they feel that somebody has something that they want or should have. A confident sista with short kinky hair that she loves would not have the same reaction.

User Detail :  

Name : N.D, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/White, Italian Father/Haitian( Black) Mother, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : H.S Student/Columnist, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Deana
    Participant
    I must agree I do not believe that someone flipping their hair is prejudiced, however, I do find it extremely annoying. I am a black female with long, wavy 'good hair,' so to speak, but flipping hair around food is just plan nasty. In addition, I do not believe that black women are jealous of white women's long hair, because what we supposedly cannot grow we can definitely buy. Also, what white men find attractive is not necessarily attractive to black men.

User Detail :  

Name : Deana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Muskegon, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.