Do white people understand…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Laura26071
    Participant
    First, there is no doubt that black people in the United States have historically been treated savagely. But you are incorrect when you say that blacks are the only ones who have been stripped of their religion, language and culture - look at what happened to Native Americans, for example, or the Chinese immigrants in the 19th Century. Any kind of racial intolerance is inexcusable, and it is important to recognize that many people have suffered, not just you. And I understand your frustration at not being able to trace your geneology - I can't trace mine back beyond my great-grandparents, who arrived in the United States during the late 19th/early 20th centuries in the last wave of immigrants from Europe. That has to do with poverty, not race. Poor people in the mountain villages of southern Italy didn't keep written records or hand down heirlooms. I don't even know if my ancestors could read or write. As a white person, I recognize that I grew up in a privileged position by virtue of the color of my skin. I never had racism directed at me. But is it necessary to share the same experience with someone to appreciate his pain? And finally, I would say this: Isn't it our responsibility, as thoughtful people who recognize the injustices that have been perpetrated, to move beyond hate and work to change things? The only way to keep these kind of injustices from happening again is to stop all kinds of bigotry. We aren't responsible for the evil other people do to us, but we are responsible for our own behavior in the face of it. Hate only breeds more hate and violence.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura26071, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 39, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : writer/teacher/editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Murray C.
    Participant
    For the most part, you are right. Most white people don't understand what happened to black people during slavery days. But since slavery took place more than 200 years ago, how can you say YOU understand? You are not a slave, and you certainly didn't live 200 years ago. Let's look at this from a modern perspective: You say that 'blacks in America are the only race of people who were stripped of religion, culture and heritage.' Well, thanks to modern technology, why don't you save up some money and visit Africa and learn about your heritage? For that matter, let me ask you this: Why is it that blacks act like they are the ONLY race that has been oppressed? Have you ever been to Russia or East Germany? Lots of oppressed white people there during Communist times (and don't forget about the millions of Jews who lost their lives during World War II). Or how about China or Cuba? Lots of non-black or white people oppressed there, too. Oh yes, and let's not forget about the Native American Indian.

I think that once you visit Africa and see how hard life can be there, you'll thank your lucky stars you live in North America. And let's take this one step further: During slavery times, there was a secret joint effort between Canadian and U.S. citizens to smuggle black people into Canada, where there was no slavery. They were provided with farmland and allowed to live their culture, but even to this day they still bitch and complain.

User Detail :  

Name : Murray C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 31, City : Halifax, Nova Scotia, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Draftsman, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike A.
    Participant
    Why does it seem that many white people don't understand that blacks in America are the only race of people who were stripped of religion, culture and heritage? Or that we were forced into adopting their way of living? Or how frustrating it is to not know our ancestory and where in Africa we come from? White people can trace their geneology, but when blacks try, the furthest we ever get back to is the slaveship. Can a white person explain to me why he or she may never have thought, "Maybe this is why blacks in America have so much hate inside"?

User Detail :  

Name : Mike A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

S.W.
    Let me be the first to say that there are a number of white people who are ignorant to the past (and current) plight of the black person. I, as a white person, will never claim to identify with that plight or the frustration of being able to trace my ancestry only as far back as a slaveship. However, that said, I must find fault with many of your statements on many levels. By no means is this intended to be disrespectful, if it comes across that way. It almost sounds as if you are sitting there stewing in your anger, which may or may not be justified. In a sense, this constant, negative attitude perpetuates the very thing you appear to want to eliminate - ignorance. People will tune you out if you insist on reminding people of your plight. I am all for harmony among the races, but it seems many blacks insist on victimizing themselves further by constantly feeling the need to remind whites of what happened to blacks and their ancestors. I am not saying that there aren't those who are ignorant to that plight, or that it wasn't a terrible thing. But I don't hear Jewish people bringing up the Holocaust on a regular basis to remind others of what happened to them, either. Time ordinarily heals all wounds. Apparently yours are still raw. You were probably one of the people insisting on an apology from the President on behalf of all whites for being slave owners almost 150 years ago, many of whose ancestors never owned slaves. It's history, and I'm not saying that it should be forgotten or ignored or made light of, but to feel the need to preach your plight perpetuates racism and hate, instead of harmony in the 'human' race.

User Detail :  

Name : S.W., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Clinton Township, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John K.
    Participant
    First, I would like to make it plain that you are correct. Most white people do not understand what other cultures go through, and specifically do not even come close to understanding what black people have endured. Some are trying to learn, by truthfully examining the past and present, and attempting to repair the damage that has been done.

Why do white people not understand? Because most white people have been conditioned, through society, religion and whitewashed history, to believe that things are supposed to be the way they are. That Western European culture is the best culture, and that everyone else should be 'converted' to that culture. Non-white cultures, and even some white cultures, are pressured to conform to this so-called American culture. It continues to this day, as those who do not live up to the WASP ideal are discriminated against. I am thinking specifically of Native peoples.

It is not just a matter of ignoring the problem, because most whites seem to be unaware that it is even happening right in front of their eyes. It takes something shocking to even get some people to wake up, and even then, there are those who will embrace their ingrained feelings of superiority rather than acknowledge what is happening around them. This is part of the legacy of the racism that led whites to enslave and persecute. The actions might have changed, but many of the subtle philosophies remain. As hard as it might seem to believe, this is a very difficult realization for white people to make. It seems as though it should be obvious, doesn't it? And yet the white American culture continues to reject the idea that they are continuing the cycle.

Some small percentage of whites truly relish this role, I am sure, while most are blissfully unaware, shaking their heads at the blatant racists while failing to examine themselves in the same fashion. I know ... I used to be that way, and still have to check myself to make sure I resist falling into those same patterns.

User Detail :  

Name : John K., Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Cranford, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Chemical Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joel S.
    Participant
    I would not dare say that African Americans are the only oppressed people on the planet, not even in the United States. The world is full of oppression toward all types of people. However, as an African American, let me speak briefly about our situation and hopefully elaborate on the question asked. No, I do not know what slavery is like firsthand; I was not on a slave ship from African, nor have I ever picked cotton or called another individual master. However, that system of slavery has had drastic repercussions on African Americans to this day. As a result of slavery and the racism that served as its ideological foundation, African Americans are today disproportionately impoverished and are forced to cope with that fact and the scenarios that accompany it: poor education, poor health, poor living standards, crime and often hopelessness. Not only are we in this environment, but it is extremely difficult for us as a people (as opposed to a couple of individuals) to rise up out of these circumstances. Our chances at attaining success are often painfully limited because of these situations - and the fact that racism is alive and well. Existing in such a state, which has lasted for centuries, is enough to generate a great deal of anger. This anger is increased as many whites (definitely not all) refuse to admit that they have benefited from slavery and the accompanying racism.

In response to your suggestion of returning to Africa to learn of our culture, many blacks do, but we are forced to ask ourselves, Where in African am I from? From what area of this massive and amazingly diverse continent do I descend, let alone what country, or specific ethnicity within that area? Do you see my point? Africa is not all the same as you appear to suggest, hence African Americans will never completely know their heritage. This only adds to our sense of anger and frustration. Personally I am from the United States and indeed proud to be so, but until African Americans are respected and are freed from the oppression that treats us as second-class citizens, some ill-will will be harbored by many African Americans. I believe in peace and justice, and work to end hate and violence, but can you understand why many African Americans are so angry?

User Detail :  

Name : Joel S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : grad student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jodie S.
    Participant
    I agree that many white people don't understand the reason black people have so much hate. I believe many have the attitude that 'slavery is over, it's not our fault, it happened and it would never happen today so get over it...' I have NO tolerance for racism of any kind, and feel for any victims of it, black or white. It's got to be frustrating not to be able to track your geneology, and all of the issues surrounding that. Slavery was the most horriffic period in our country for black people, and I think most white people agree on that. I don't, however, think that those white people who are blind to what happened back then mean to be; it just doesn't pop into our minds every day. I don't look at someone and immediately decipher whether they're black or white and then whether to feel sorry for them. I don't look at any ethnicity and think about what their ancestors went through. It doesn't mean I don't care. I love all people.

User Detail :  

Name : Jodie S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 27, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Support Executive, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

David
    Participant
    The majority of slaves were not captured by whites, but purchased from black Africans. Do you extend your hate to black Africans as well as white people? If you did, that would be irrational. Black Africans alive today are not responsible for events that occurred 100 years before they were born - just as white people are not.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Netta
    Participant
    I'm not trying to say this makes your feelings any less important, but Australian Aboriginals have to deal with many of these same problems, as far as I can tell. But I don't know about Aboriginals having so much hate inside. Again, as far as I can tell, being a white person, they just want to be treated fairly and have people recognize that life in Australia didn't start 200 years ago {with the arrival of the Brits}. Reconciliation, in other words. I don't think I have the capacity to understand your problems at all, because I'm a 'privileged white middle-class girl.' It's not that I've never thought about them - I have - but in the end all I feel I can do without going over the top is to say I'm so sorry for what my ancestors did.

User Detail :  

Name : Netta, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Armidale, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jesse-N30806
    Participant
    I hate to tell you, but black Americans are NOT the only group of people that was oppressed. History is filled with examples of one group oppressing another for no better reason than that they could get away with it. Blacks are not much different from any of a hundred other races or ethnic groups. It does not serve any purpose to bring attention to your past problems by pretending to be unique; it would be better to spend your energy bettering yourself. Moreover, not all blacks in America are angry. I know quite a few who can recognize the futility in trying to punish the present generation for the sins of 100 years ago. They've learned to get a life; you should do the same, too.

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse-N30806, Gender : M, Age : 41, City : Herzliya, State : NA Country : Israel, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    Mike, I'm glad that more than one person brought up the fact that African Americans are indeed not the only ones who have been stripped of language, culture, religion, etc. We black people really need to check ourselves on this issue, at least with regard to the indigenous people of this country. To everyone: I don't know whether or not when black people 'complain' that it has only to do with slavery. When I have a hard time, it's because I get the sense that I don't really belong anywhere. I'm not an African, and although I might visit Africa some day, I would much rather live here than in many places there. At the same time, I don't feel fully American, either. My ancestors have likely been here longer than many of the ancestors of white Americans, and despite the fact that every immigrant group has had to suffer greatly to fit into the fabric, they have steadily passed us by. Why? When you're white, and from Italy, for example, you can learn English with a flawless accent, change your name and blend in. But with dark skin, there is no way to do so. One of the first ways to scrape off your 'otherness' as an immigrant was to find someone else to be 'other' after you. That was always us. You might be Irish/Italian/Slavic, but at least you weren't a nigger. Something else i'd like some white people to understand is that 'keeping black people down' extends *way* beyond slavery. Please stop reducing all of our feelings down to that. Please stop saying, 'Slavery ended 200 years ago!' without understanding that after a brief period, it was simply replaced with sharecropping and Jim Crow, which didn't end until 1965, not to mention all the small ways we've been consistently fucked over almost every time we've tried to attain something for ourselves. I think white people have the right to say, 'Don't try to make me feel guilty for something I had no part in', but please learn to tell the difference between someone expecting you to feel guilty and needing to understand that it's your history, too. No one needs your guilt. I just want people to aknowledge the truth of history. Screw all those who say you're evil just because you're white. Don't fall for that shit. But for goddsake, you can't tell us to get over it when it's not over. You can't tell us to try to change our circumstances instead of complaining, and then accuse us of complaining when we agitate! ______________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kala26981
    Participant
    Not all blacks in America have hate inside for white people. At least not for the reason you give. And if they do, I feel it's pointless and a waste of energy that could be used to better ourselves and our nation. There's no one left in 'White America' who is responsible for what was done during the slave era. So why should they have to pay for, or be hated for, something they didn't do? I think it's time to let go and move on. Dredging up the past in a way that is in no way constructive only leaves hateful feelings, and our country will never heal. We may not KNOW our history, but does your history really make you who you are? I don't think so. We do so by our current actions and what is in our hearts.

User Detail :  

Name : Kala26981, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Alexandria, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Network Engineer/Admin, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Amy31606
    Participant
    Genealogy is my hobby, and I have often thought it must be especially hard to be a black genealogist in America, because the records would only go back so far. I think we have a need to know where we came from (look at the years of searching that adopted children go through to find their birth parents), and I can see that it would be very frustrating to not even know what country your ancestors came from. I don't understand the hate thing, though. The slave owners are long dead, and living white Americans may have their genetic material, but you can't inherit sin. Who exactly do you hate, and why? In my family tree, there is at least one guy who owned slaves, several men who fought on the Union side of the Civil War and a couple who fought on the Confederate side. I don't regard them as evil or good. I think they were a product of what they were taught by their parents and pastors and leaders of that time. Are you hating all white Americans because of what their ancestors might have done? Do you hate me? Do you hate my two-year-old daughter? Will all of your descendants hate all of my descendants?

User Detail :  

Name : Amy31606, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Charleston, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : Lab Tech, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

HG21619
    Participant
    Africans in America need to start a national web site, so that we can find our relatives. I'm 58 and have never met my father. I was three when my parents divorced. All my life I've been aware there's another side to my family that we'll never know. Black men should never raise a gun at another black because of the way we were forcibly separated from our slave ancestors. We have relatives spread all over this Native land. White people never understand, nor should we expect them to. We don't understand, either.

Also, why are we always asking if whites understand? They don't and they won't, and they don't have to. Slavery ended 135 years ago. If you read Forced Into Glory by Lerone Bennett Jr., you'll see that it hasn't ended one damn bit. The new slavery is prison. We keep falling for the hype. Why anybody would get themselves in a prison situation is beyond me. Shackles, a 7 X 5 cell, overseers, guards, beatings, deviant behavior, no birds, no trees, no green grass, no snow, etc., seems worse than death to me. Inmates are locked into these slave quarters for eternities (some of them). Why? When you get yourself into one of these quarters, slavery's alive and kicking, and maybe God will help you. He didn't help Gary Graham. Don't do the crime, and don't do the time in the Prison Slave Quarters.

User Detail :  

Name : HG21619, Race : Black/African American, City : Norwich, State : CT Country : United States, 

HG21621
    Participant
    Why are we always asking if whites understand? No they don't and they won't and they don't have to. Slavery ended 135 years ago. If you read 'Forced Into Glory' by Lerone Bennett, Jr., you'll see that it hasn't ended one damn bit. The new slavery is prison. We keep falling for the hype. Why anybody would get themselves in a prison situation, is beyond me. Shackles, a 7'5' cell, Overseers, Guards, beatings, deviant behavior, no birds, trees, green grass, snow, etc., seems worse than death to me. Inmates are locked into these slave quarters for eternities (some of them). Why? When you get yourself into one of these quarters, slavery's alive and kicking, and maybe God will help you. He didnt help Gary Graham. Don't do the crime, don't do the time in the Prison Slave Quarters.

User Detail :  

Name : HG21621, City : Norwich, State : CT Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.