Discerning Disabilities

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Roberto-T
    Participant
    What is the best way to phrase a query to find out the nature of a person's disability? I find that since I don't believe in asking "What's wrong with...?" I am thwarted in situations where I would normally reach out.
    Original Code D33. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : Roberto-T, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Aurora, State : IL Country : United States, 

Kimberley-B
    Participant
    It is a misconception that it's OK to ask any person with a disability about it. It isn't. A disability is very personal, and too many people invade our privacy by asking questions that are really none of their concern. The fact that someone is in public who happens to have a disability is not an invitation for anyone to come over and ask intrusive personal questions.

User Detail :  

Name : Kimberley-B, Gender : F, City : Whitefish, State : MT Country : United States, 

Tom24117
    Participant
    I was always afraid (and still am) of asking "intrusive personal questions" of a disabled person, that is until I took a college class with a young man who had cerebral palsy. The professor made a point of asking him what his crutches were for. He did so in a frank yet friendly manner. The young man was so happy. This was the first person to actually ask him about his disability and not shy away from him or treat him differently. I wonder if we're differentiating between strangers on the street and acquaintances. Does the "don't pry" rule apply in both?

User Detail :  

Name : Tom24117, Gender : M, Religion : Pagan, Age : 27, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.