Children’s Reactions to the Unusual

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

R-D
    Participant
    Our family was recently at the community pool. Our five-year-old son saw a little girl swimming who had lost her hand in some sort of accident. He was petrified when he saw it and ran under a towel for the rest of the time we were there. Now he's nervous about going back to the pool. When we asked him why he was upset about it, he said it scared him and he wanted to know if the girl was going to be OK. What would be the best thing to say to him to make him less fearful of this girl and this type of situation in the future?
    Original Code D15. Click here to see responses from the original archives. Click "to respond" below to reply.

User Detail :  

Name : R-D, Gender : F, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 

Bruce19295
    Participant
    I would reassure him it's not going to happen to him or any of you.

User Detail :  

Name : Bruce19295, Gender : M, City : Temple, State : TX Country : United States, 

Maria-J-C22219
    Participant
    I have to disagree with the previous response. You don't know what life will throw at you, so to tell a child "it will never happen to you" is dangerous. What if it does? Children, as you know, remember everything. If anything disabling did happen to your child, he/she would always recall what you said when...

I spend lots of time teaching children about people with disabilities and differences. They want to know, and they want to know now! It is important for you to let your child know that all people have differences. If he gets a chance to see this girl again and becomes friends with her, you should allow him to ask questions. Always remember it is up to the person with the difference to answer, not you. I always tell parents children stare because they want to learn. Mommies and Daddies letting them hide away is not going to help the child or the other individual. I promise you, if you teach them now it we will all see a better, more excepting world tomorrow.

User Detail :  

Name : Maria-J-C22219, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : wheelchair user, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Bridgewater, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.