Certainty of faith

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Kerry
    Why do I believe that there's something out there? Because I have experienced the touch of divinity. I have no organized religion, and I doubt I will ever find one that suits my needs. I worship with a small group of people who agree closely enough with me, but that's as far as it can go for me. I'm happy that a church works for you, but it never has for me. I don't need to 'believe', because I have been with my gods.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 32, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Stagehand, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    To me it's all about how you look at the puzzel. everyone is different and have there on beliefs. so I say that reguardless of weather there be any proof that justifies one's beliefs in a particular religion or way of life, as long as it works for them, and serves the purpose of satisfying there spiritual needs then it should not matter weather or not there is any proof/evidence that supports a particular religion.

User Detail :  

Name : benjamin williams, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : SPOKANE, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : college student/government, Social class : Middle class, 
    To me it's all how you look at the puzzel. Everyone is different and have there own beliefs, so therefore as long as it serves one's spiritual needs then the lack of proof or evidence that supports there religion should not matter.

User Detail :  

Name : benjamin williams, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : SPOKANE, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : college student/government, Social class : Middle class, 

Jordan29093
    Participant
    So are you saying that you don't beleive in things that are written in books. Come on. I'm sure you beleive in Christopher Colombus even though there are no real photographs of him, only painted pictures. Or Aristotle and Plato for that matter who were centuries before Jesus. How can you scientifically prove the son of God. What are you going to do put him in a jar once you have proven his existence. Prove to me scientifically that George Washington once lived. I rest my fucking case

User Detail :  

Name : Jordan29093, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 

DAVID
    Participant
    I LOVE IT WHEN SOME ONE ASK ME TO PROVE SOMETHING THAT I CAN NOT SEE OR TOUCH. BUT HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A BILLION DOLLARS,THE DUST ON THE MOON,OR ME AS A PERSON? I DONT THINK SO, YOU JUST KNOW IT'S THERE...

User Detail :  

Name : DAVID, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : HOUSTON, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Mitch
    Participant
    If nobody ever told you about Jesus or about the bible or about anything having to do with it, then nobody would ever believe it. You cannot be sure that the news is the truth or what happened several thousand years ago, or much less how we got on earth and what our purpose is. The basis of most religions is this: People got on earth, however that may have happened, and they couldn't talk, but they knew they needed to eat, so they would spent their entire lives eating and dying. Then people began to realize that there was no purpose and they began to look for a 'better place' to go to, and they looked their entire lives for this place and they couldnt find it on earth, so they decided that when they died that they would go to this 'better place' and so they thought about this; if our entire lives are worthless then we go to a better place then thats still stupid, the world would be complete chaos and people would do whatever they felt like doing then they would die and go to a better place. So they decided that there is a ruler to the better place( which was at this time god) and if god decided that you have been bad on earth then you would go to this bad place, hell, and there is a ruler to this place of course, and thats satan. But after all of this was decided then the people thought, 'what exactly is good and bad for us to do?', and thats where sins and commandments came from, it all makes sense and it all follows a natural sequential order. Its still evolving too, such as when you ask a person of the christian faith why the earth was set up so that adam and eves children could have babies together and it would be one big incest festival from which all of us were created, then they usualy reply with, 'The rules have changed'. and i think, ' ok when are we informed about the changing of the rules, when some guy gets a message in his head from a higher power?' I mean thats good if people can have a belief that they stick to because it makes them happy, but its better to at least believe in something that you have more evidence for, instead of beliveing for the only reason that it makes you happy, that is nonsense.

User Detail :  

Name : Mitch, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Solipsistic, City : Oklahoma City, State : OK Country : United States, 

Steven
    Participant
    Whether it be an organized religion or not.. theres one thing in each religion that stands out, and thats pretty much respect for eachother.. and the animals living on this earth. Whether a man or a god came up with that revelation it bothers me not. My parents are jewish but they aren't religious... I am not religious.. but I believe in god nonetheless. I refuse to believe that this world came out of nowhere. Maybe thats my faith however to Collete who may claim we are terribly alone.. might I speak the words of Socrates when he said 'either death is a state of nothingness and utter unconsiousness, or, as men say there is a change of migrations from this world to another' in his apology... when I read this I thought deep into religion, as religion gives men a comfort for when death occurs. Either way men need not fear death, but moreso embrace life and those living as god.. any god intended

User Detail :  

Name : Steven, Gender : Male, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

rev-deb30158
    Participant
    Tracy I really cannot explain how I have complete trust in a God I can't see. But I do know this, through years of research and reading most of the dogmas concerning various religions of the world. I have concluded that If there is a God ( and there is) then would it be advantageous to me to do something for him or would I be the more advantaged if he did something for me? The obvious answer is that of him doing something for me. Christianity is the only religion that provides that to mankind. All of the other religions comprise components for man to reach to them but in Christianity God did all of the work and all I have to do is believe. I know it sounds too good to be true but believe me it is. Now think about it you have a brain but really your brain does not run your body it is your mind no scientist can ever capture that in a test tube this is not just your mind it is your spirit and after death do you know what happens to that. You know who does? This God that I know and love and all he asks you to do is trust him. Just trust Him.

User Detail :  

Name : rev-deb30158, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Chasity D.
    In my religion, everything the Bible says, you respect. You just have to have faith.

User Detail :  

Name : Chasity D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Shannon Chew
    Participant
    Tracy, You are right that many people have developed strong faiths without proof. Many latch on to the beliefs of their parents and I think some are born with an inherent faith that is unknown to the rest of us. However, I am a Christian (non-denominational--I believe in the Bible as the inspired Word of God) and would like to respond to your question as to how I could believe what I do without 'proof.' My answer is that I can't. Like you, I don't understand how Christians can come to a strong faith without proof. In fact, it is the proof that keeps me strong. Tracy, there is proof, not only of Jesus' existance, but in His Salvation (ie. 'Jesus died for our sins'). There is a popular myth that all this stuff is just made up and people believe it, but if you really do the research, I believe the truth will prove itself to you. I could recommend numerous books on the archeolgical evidence that proves the Gospels and Jesus etc. (The Case for Faith by Lee Stobel is popular) but I think one of the best books is written by C.S. Lewis, called Mere Christianity. C.S. Lewis was an atheist to begin with, an adament 'unbeliever.' But, he was brilliant, and he came to the truth to philosophical study. In the first many chapters of his book he does not even begin to quote the Bible or anything like that. He simply observes the world around him, and himself, to try to understand what the truth is. I like that. He doesn't blindly accept anything. He examines what he can see and what he knows to discover the truth. It's not about 'religion' after all, or some made up story to make you feel good. It's about the origen of the universe, the purpose and condition of man, why things are the way they are. Look around you. The proof is there. I pray you find it. But don't take my word for it, or anyone else's. Look for yourself. --Shannon Chew

User Detail :  

Name : Shannon Chew, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Mason, State : OH Country : United States, 

Rachel30206
    Participant
    I have been raised in a strong Christian backround and until about a year ago had very strong faith(now I'm agnostic). I don't speak for everyone, but my reason for having such unquestioning faith was fear. I had always thought that people who did not believe what was in the Bible would go to hell and I was really afraid of that. Sometimes I thought that my religion did not make sense, but was afraid to question it and would try to quiet the thought by saying that I just needed to have faith.

User Detail :  

Name : Rachel30206, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Caucasian/Hispanic/Native Americans, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 17, City : NewBraunfels, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : High school student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Cliff
    a hard time with faith until i began to feel the holy spirit come apon me and see micracles.The first one was at a healing service where i took my current GF at the time she was dying on liver cancer. I at the time did not belive in it but she told me she felt the cancer leave her body and a doctor later confirmed she no longer had it, since i have accepted that it is real i have seen more and feel the power of God.

User Detail :  

Name : Cliff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : na, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : self emplyed, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Eugene
    Participant
    I am a Christian and agree that if there is no proof for something, drop it. I don't go along with this nonsense that 'It is a matter of faith'. That is a matter of stupidity and closed-mindedness. I am not a great scholar but have found lots of evidence since becoming a Christian to support Christian claims. I am also not averse to questioning if something should be in the Bible or if it was made up by some corrupt human being or critically examining something that seems to be contradictory or wrong etc. There has been lots of corruption and closed mindedness in the church over the centuries and there still is and will be until Jesus Christ finally winds it all up.

User Detail :  

Name : Eugene, City : Johannesburg, State : NA Country : South Africa, 

J25987
    Participant
    Although I am very young, I have already experienced unrest in my faith that has lead me to periods where I felt that I could not survive. Faith is called faith because it is not always logical or systematic or tangible. Being human, we like things to be concrete. However, even science, what we take for 'fact' is often uncertain. I have found faith because I have felt God in my life. It is an honest to goodness feeling that cannot be described to those who have not experienced it. This feeling was so overwhelming that I was brought to tears. I truly belive in God and I truly love God above all else. If you look for it, it will come, but you have to be open to receive it.

User Detail :  

Name : J25987, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Exton
    Participant
    Take a look at some of the books written by a man by the name of Michael Shermer. One especially, 'How We Believe,' is a book investigating, in depth, faith and other related human behaviors, objectively and scientifically. It'll probably lend a lot of answers to your question.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.