Cemetery stones

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jean
    Participant
    What is the significance of a small rock being placed on top of a headstone? I have seen this in a few movies and would like to know the reason.

User Detail :  

Name : Jean, Gender : F, City : Green Cove Springs, State : FL Country : United States, 

Mark K.
    Participant
    In the Jewish religion, the purpose is to leave a marker that the grave has been visited. Usually, three stones are left, but I believe that is only a custom, not a law.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark K., Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, City : San Francisco Bay Area, State : CA Country : United States, 

Hope
    There are a couple of reasons why Jews leave stones on headstones. The first is simply as a sort of guest book - to show that someone has been there. The second is to differentiate Jews from Christians. Jews have always had strict laws about burial - that the dead must be buried within 3 days of death - and Christians have not. This is how the custom of Christians bringing flowers began - because before embalming, when you waited to bury someone, they started to smell. That's why Jews usually do not bring flowers - bringing stones was a way of showing that we were Jews, not Christians.

User Detail :  

Name : Hope, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Jewish, Age : 38, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Sue
    Participant
    I was told that the rocks are used because they're more permanent than flowers. Makes sense to me. And not as ugly as plastic flowers.

User Detail :  

Name : Sue, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 48, City : Ft .Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : burned-out nurse, 

EJ
    Participant
    It is not a law, but a Jewish custom when visiting a gravesite to leave a stone on the gravestone as a witness to someone being there. Stones do not move and witness things occurring on earth when we are gone.

User Detail :  

Name : EJ, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 28, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.