Catholic hypocrites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Ned
    Participant
    Many Catholics have sex outside of marriage, use birth control and have abortions (among other 'sins') even though these acts are forbidden in the Catholic faith. How can these people still call themselves Catholic when they obviously don't accept the Church doctrine? If these people are going to break Catholic 'law,' why don't they leave the Catholic church and affiliate with a denomination of Christianity that is less restrictive? Or worship God independent of organized religion?

User Detail :  

Name : Ned, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan
    Participant
    People tend to think that if their parents/ancestors are of a denomination or if their ethnicity is traditionally of said denomination (Mexican, Irish, etc.), then they are automatically of the denomination. Well, being born into a tradition doesn't make someone a Christian, just like being born in a garage doesn't make someone a car. It is a personal committment/decision and requires a lifelong walk. Also, just because someone calls themself a Christian doesn't make them one, just like someone claiming to be a doctor is not one unless they actually are. But I guess that certain denominations will grant anybody designation if all they do is claim it. It's altogether impossible to tell who's devout and who isn't.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Cheryl
    Many people attend a church because they like the particular rituals of that demonination. The Catholic Church will only change when the majority of its members stop following certain practices and make their feelings known to the Church. There are lots of people in the Southern Baptist churches who drink and smoke, even though their doctrine says it's wrong. I'm sure this is the same for all churches.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 52, City : Jonesboro, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Augustine23561
    Participant
    First of all, true Catholics believe it to be 'God's Law', not 'Catholic law'. There is such a thing as canon law which is merely disciplinary (think no meat on Friday, celibacy for priests, etc.). Generally speaking, things which are considered evil in themselves are seen as forbidden by God (this would include extramarital sex, abortion, and contraception), while meat on Friday and priests being married are not evil in themselves. Secondly, those who disagree with anything that the Church has authoritatively and consistently taught as doctrine HAVE already put themselves outside the Church. The Church does not stand guard at the door and say 'do you believe in all of it? --- then come in'. Everyone is welcome at Mass. Catholicism has traditionally required that its adherents subordinate their personal judgements to those of the teaching Church --- ask all the questions you want, but in the end, be humble enough to subordinate your intellect and will to God through His Church.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23561, Gender : M, Religion : Catholic, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jerome
    Participant
    They DO accept the church doctrine; this is why they (not just Catholics) do this. Jesus: 'If a son tells his father he is hungry does the father give him stones?' If one is indoctrinated that he is a sinner wouldn't he 'violate the law, the dogma'. Sinner is one who violates principles. Jesus: 'The blind shall lead the blind...' 'Guilt' associated with this controls the mind/man to support the doctrine: Hierarchy. This 'dependency' encourages irresponsibility in self-gratification/ pleasure (Heaven) of the consequences of actions. Jesus has saved from the 'wrath of god' so just accept the doctrine and one will be saved... The doctrine divides men who think they follow it and lead the masses who think they can't cycling man to build great physical structures of Power/Hierarchy.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerome, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 57, City : Albion, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : maintence, Education level : Technical School, 

Rose 17
    Catholics who sin in the ways you described are just as human as the rest of world. Humans are born with sin and continue to sin throughout their lives. Obviously, these people believe in the faith they have chosen. Yes, those are sins that the Catholic Church does not agree with. Most likely they try not to commit those sins, yet they are human, and sin is impossible to avoid. They are still Catholic and should be considered Catholic if they know and understand the doctrine of the church. If they sin and go against the Church, that's a situation between them and God and should be left there. Hopefully they feel regret for their sins, attend reconciliation and try to change their life.

User Detail :  

Name : Rose 17, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Cave Junction, State : OR Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Gleb
    This is not a direct answer to your question, just a point to consider: Sex is a natural human instinct, the second instinct after self- preservation. Reproduction is instinctive. And the Christian Church forbids it except when married, which is very hard to wait for. One can't help feeling sexual desires and having sexual thoughts, as sexual stimuli are all around us. When one sees those sexual stimuli and has sexual thoughts, that person can instantly feel guilty - that he or she has sinned. They build up this guilt through their whole lives. This gives the Church a stronger hold over that individual and the population as a whole. That is a good reason to distrust religions that ban sex, shaming people to get them under the religion's control. I am not saying one should go around rampantly having sex. Wait until you're 18, as per law. But wait until you're 18 because it is a law, not because of religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Gleb, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

H.
    Some people feel they can change the denomination from the inside. However, this idea tends to work better in Protestant denominations that recognize Christianity as an personal relationship with God. Catholicism is more oriented toward a human-centered hierarchy and a worship of men, particularly the Pope, and Man's ignorance and tradition. When will the Catholic leadership realize the evils of its ways and denounce sex without condoms, unchecked reproduction and all forms of sexism and homophobia? Given the extent to which these prejudices (which are strongly anti-Christian given Christianity's core focus on love, non-judgmentalism, generosity and inclusiveness) are ingrained in the Vatican hierarchy, such progress is not likely to occur soon. The Catholic Church gains its strength through placation of the masses, but it will only survive through reform or by continuing to fight the education and progress of humanity.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Bridget
    Participant
    I have always been a Catholic, went to 12 years of Catholic school and am an active choir member in my current Catholic community. I am also pro-choice, lived with my husband before marriage and used birth control in the past. So I guess I am one of the hypocrites of which you speak. I am pro-choice (although I have never had an abortion, and never would) because I don't feel my religious background should regulate others' behavior in a country with separation of church and state. I used birth control because I never wanted to have an abortion, and I believe the Church is behind the times on the issue. I lived with my husband before marriage because I loved him and couldn't afford to live on my own. And I will always be a Catholic, because that is what I am called to be. Whenever I have gone to other Christian services, something is missing for me. I may not agree with all of the Pope's social policy, but he is a good man and does his best. All I can do is love my neighbor and worship my God in the best way I know how.

User Detail :  

Name : Bridget, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 28, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Research Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Nelson A.
    Participant
    I am one of those non-practicing Catholics you mention. There are many kinds of Catholics, some orthodox and some not, like myself. In my case, being Catholic is like belonging to this great, big worldwide Catholic club. Yep, it's like a country club where you inherit your membership, and changing clubs would be downright disrespectful socially. It's respecting tradition. The truth is, I have no need to change religion to have a good relationship with God; He knows I'm a good guy. Now, if I fell in love with a Jewish girl and wanted to marry her, I would most likely convert to Judaism. Anyway, we are not hypocrites, the Church knows we are not the church-going type, we don't lie to anyone saying we are devout Catholics. If you compare, we are as 'devout' as the majority of American New York City or Los Angeles Protestants. And last but not least, remember that Catholicism is the dominating religion in many family-oriented societies (American society in general is NOT family-oriented, except on Thanksgiving), so out of mere respect to your family and its traditions, you stick with the church.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson A., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Lawyer/Business, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben S.
    Participant
    A good answer to this might be to observe the ways members of other religions also fail to follow their doctrine. Or even the way some agnostics keenly consult the stars or tarot cards. My point is that humans of whatever flavor are not the most consistent of creatures. I'm a lapsed Catholic and have felt quite comfortable associating with priests and other Catholics in gay Catholic groups. Catholic means 'universal,' and of all the Christian religions, I've noticed that Catholicism seems to make room (officially sanctioned or otherwise) for a great variety of people. Historically, the Church has had a number of changes in doctrine. Gay Catholics understand this history, and many opt to stay and push for change within the Church. Another perspective is that once born a Catholic, changing religion is not as easy as choosing one fast food restaurant over another. Many people are quite happy to remain in the Catholic 'lifestyle' in which they grew up, while being quite dismissive of some of the Pope's teachings. Most Catholics are quite accepting of this duality; it's probably one of the Church's better features.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Public servant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Julie K. M.
    Participant
    In all organized religion, it is increasingly difficult to discern which professed beliefs are germane to the particular religion and which have been engendered by a religious bureaucracy. The bureaucracy may or may not have been led astray from true core beliefs by many other, more human or political concerns. An easily read, good example of this in relation to the Roman Catholic Church is the recently published Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel (c. 1999, Walker & Co.), New York. Read it - it's good!

User Detail :  

Name : Julie K. M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, Age : 55, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Community Organizer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tony-W24168
    Participant
    Many people believe in the doctrines of the Catholic faith because it is part of their heritage and upbringing. My wife is a practicing Catholic. She attends church regularly, prays and meditates regularly and feels comfortable with the rituals of the Church. They give her order and reason in life. We do, however, practice birth control. We use natural methods (a.k.a. the rhythm method) as well as contraceptives, and we strongly believe in planned parenthood. My wife has recognized that in our modern world it is important to control certain factors in life because of social, environmental and economic factors on a daily basis. The Catholic Church is often too slow to update doctrines that allow its followers to live lives that are current with the mindset of the planet's social situation. Nothing is constant, not even the Catholic Church. Over the centuries it has undergone countless changes in doctrine and practice. Many of them come too late and ultimately do more damage than good (i.e. the Inquisition, the holy wars and, in my opinion, the issue of abortion. My wife identifies herself as Catholic because it is one of her defining characteristics. She gives to the Church and in return takes what she needs. She does not agree with all the Church preaches, but she and others like her are the force that helps the Church stay current and able to serve the changing needs of its members from generation to generation.

User Detail :  

Name : Tony-W24168, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/administrator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Iteki21236
    Participant
    Religion is not only about spirituality; it is also a part of one's culture. I would describe myself as culturally Catholic, and say that my religious references are predominantly Catholic. However, the Catholic Church's actions in the past and today make me distance myself from the religous aspect of my Catholic identity. I have a relationship with God, but it is between me and God and has nothing to do with the Catholic Church. Still, if people ask my religion, I will tell them I am more Catholic than anything else.

User Detail :  

Name : Iteki21236, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Recovering Catholic, Age : 24, City : Stockholm (via Dublin), State : NA Country : Sweden, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Michell20531
    Participant
    While the Catholic church teaches us that some behaviors are 'sins', it also teaches us that we are forgiven for our sins. We try to adhere to our beliefs, but we are human, and sometimes fall short. That doesn't mean that we don't believe that in the teachings of the church, just that we make mistakes like everyone else. As far as the idea of converting, like I said, the fact that we sometimes fall short doesn't mean that we do not try to adhere to our beliefs. Besides, picking a religion to suit our lifestyle, or because it is more convenient does not make the religion true. I am a Catholic because it is the original, and therefore in my opinion, the true christian religion. All protestant religions splintered off from Catholicism to suit the whims of various people.

User Detail :  

Name : Michell20531, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.