Can I change my sexual orientation?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jenny19650
    Participant
    I'm gay. I'd like to be straight. I don't think being gay is wrong, but I have many straight male friends, few (i.e. no) lesbian friends, and feel a lot more comfortable around men than women. It would be a lot more convenient to be straight. Has anyone tried a non-religious-oriented way to convert themselves? I've trained myself to the point where I can cuddle males comfortably, and even get turned on by teasing them, but going beyond that seriously grosses me out.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenny19650, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, City : Cockeysville, State : MD Country : United States, 

GordonR
    Science has found little or no evidence that it's possible for someone to change his or her sexual orientation. Reparative therapy claims to change gay people into straight people. Some gay people have even found it possible to live happy lives playing a traditional heterosexual role. However, this requires the gay person to constantly repress his or her own natural sexual desires. It's usually more healthy for gay people to learn to accept their sexuality rather than to repress it. Coming out of the closet can be a difficult process, but it's worth it. Once you choose to undergo the "reparative" process, get into a straight marriage and have children, coming out of the closet becomes a huge problem. In that case, your decision affects many people--not only yourself, but your sp

User Detail :  

Name : GordonR, City : Salt Lake City, State : UT Country : United States, 

Dina M.
    Participant
    no you can't change. it won't happen. your brain is hardwired for your own sex. and trying to change can be harmful. perhaps you should work to feel comfortable with who you are and not try to change who you are. (I'm open for e-mails if you want someone to talk to about this)

User Detail :  

Name : Dina M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : unsure, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Poet, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

norbertneuman
    Participant
    NO! if your gay, then you are gay, you cant change it. dont let someone take you to a "prayer camp" those places are just a suicide filled lie stay strong

User Detail :  

Name : norbertneuman, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : mahtomedi, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    Is there some reason you've decided you can't make new friends? Ten percent of all people are gay, about half of those are women. If the lesbians in your town aren't out and accessible, go to a place where they are. You can't pretend to be something you're not. People who try this, and marry and have children, are selfish jerks who create unneccessary pain for their families.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

kevinlee
    Honey being gay is NOT something you just pick up. and i mean it is usually easy for us to be cool or feel comfortable around the different sex. I am a gay male and i have no gay or straight friends, and i tend to find myself loving to cuddle with women but nothing happens. just be true to you.

User Detail :  

Name : kevinlee, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Murray, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ErinJ
    Participant
    You can't change your sexual orientation. It's something you're born with, like your eye or hair color or skin color. If you're feeling uncomfortable, maybe you can try contacting an LGBTQA resource center near you. They can set you up with some information and introduce you to some new people.

User Detail :  

Name : ErinJ, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 18, City : Skokie, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.