Bringing the “ghetto” with them…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author

FALLEN-ANGEL
    Participant
    Hi I think I know some of the answer to this. They live multiple families in what should not be because the prices in your area (tristate area) are very high if it is a good neighborhood. A lot of times, a group of families in the same family (like 2 or 3 brothers and thier spouces and kids) will buy a house in a good neighborhood and pool their resources because that is the only way they can afford the neighborhood. Then with this pooling, they usually still do not have the resources to maintain anything. The cars, well if there are a lot of people they need cars and if they can bearly afford the property, they have crappy cars. Now the behavior of kids. Unfortunatley these same people SOMETIMES work multiple jobs and are never home, so the kids raise themselves. Think Lord of the Flies. I am not condoning it, just giving the reasons.

User Detail :  

Name : FALLEN-ANGEL, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : ASTORIA, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

shin
    Participant
    Many people are less priveleged and can't help feeling lesser than others. Their actions usually do not reflect this soreness but in retaliation they may impose their 'culture' onto the privileged. If the reaction from others is anger, so be it, these must be people who despise them. If they get emphaty, they will be touched. It's not their choice to come from ghetto.

User Detail :  

Name : shin, City : singapore, State : NA Country : singapore, 

Jenn
    Participant
    Everyone has different views of what is ghetto and what isn't. Most of the time youth will walk in front of your car to see how far they can actually go. I am more than sure if you keep driving they will eventually stop because they see you are not afraid. Take it from me. And about the housing unit, minorities tend to have more to a family than just mom, dad and children (white people). It normally consist of mom, grandma, dad(if lucky), children and maybe a niece and nephew.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Property Management, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Renee30150
    Participant
    Haven't you heard of, 'you can take the girl out of the country, but not the country out of the girl'-- the same principle applies.

User Detail :  

Name : Renee30150, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 37, City : Victoria, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : Government, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

P.W
    Participant
    I'm not black, but I am from a ghetto. To people in the ghetto, loudness isn't something looked down upon, it's considered normal behavior. It definitely aint as bad as doing something violent, so we think nothing of it. As for having multiple families in one home, that's considered NORMAL EVERYWHERE EXCEPT among WHITE AMERICANS! It's called family unity, helping your relatives, etc. In Hawaii, where I'm from, having more than one family in a household is NORMAL! It's due to the large number of Asians and Pacific Islanders here who think that's the way it should be. They view the white American standard of only one family to a home as 'cold-hearted' and showing a lack of family unity.

User Detail :  

Name : P.W, Gender : M, Race : Mexican, Puerto Rican, German, Portuguese, Age : 24, City : Honolulu, State : HI Country : United States, 

R-Ray30343
    Participant
    Don't stereotype all by some. The same argument could be made about the 'Beverly Hill Billy' syndrome regarding white folks. Many blacks have tried to blend in only to be reminded they don't belong. And I have seen white youth who exhibited the same rude, loud and abrassive behavior which you described. Its easy to find fault in what you naturally dislike. There is good and bad in all of us.

User Detail :  

Name : R-Ray30343, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 

andrew
    Participant
    I couldn't agree with you more J.M. I've brought this subject up many a times with quite a few and get the same type of responce. Confusion... I'm not trying to be profiling on this matter but as you can see I'm sure that when 'SOME' people move into an upper/middle/etc. class neighborhood they tend to bring their habits with them, and wonder why others start to move out of the same neighborhood. If things are so bad where you originally came from that you decided to move into a better area then leave your habits behind. Don't get me wrong many a times it's not the people themselves but their friends that come to visit that create more of a problem. KUDOS to you JM, I thought I was the only one with that on his mind.

User Detail :  

Name : andrew, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Catholic, Age : 33, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

B-Yu
    Participant
    1. It is commonplace for many teens and adolecents in general to cross the street slowly, despite oncoming motorists. I believe it really just comes down to that 'rebellious-age' demeanor, a personal fable of being the center of the world, invincible, etc., regardless of ethnicity. 2. As to bringing 'lower class' lifestyles to upper class living conditions, it is just that. For said family, the lifestyle has not changed, only the living situation. One cannot expect a family's lifestyle to change, simply because their living situation has. 3. Consider all the families moving up from lower class neighborhoods that integrate themselves quietly, thus remaining unnoticed. On the other hand, the one family that doesn't conform is instantly noticed, reinforcing stereotypes. 4. You would like to see people conforming more to the pre-existing standards in a neighborhood. But imagine moving to a neighborhood that has other standards, where they 'fail to maintain their property..' would you continue maintaining your property? Wouldn't that draw the ire of neighbors, who see you as thinking yourself as 'too good for them?' You would feel the social force trying to force you to stop maintaining your property.

User Detail :  

Name : B-Yu, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : Irvine, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lash
    I like the comments about old habits dying hard and the example given about White Americans moving into a Swedish community. I think habits labeled as 'ghetto' are labeled that way partly because 1) white society is the norm and those habits are viewed as 'different' from the norm, and 2) partly because those habits are indeed 'negative' behaviors. I think new neighbors are equally distressed by coming into contact with the differences and the negatives. I take slight offense to the comments about those in the ghetto not being smart enough or respectful enough to keep a street clear and hold down a job. I think that line of thinking is one that blames the victim and those in the 'ghetto' are indeed victims. Those that grow up in the ghetto are always at a disadvantage because they don't have access to the same educational resources, and social resources that people living in an affluent neigborhood are born with. Those in the ghetto are born into a particular mindset and worldview that spurs and perpetuates certain ghetto social behaviors and those same people parent children who for one reason or another remain in the ghetto and keep the cycle and unfortunately certain stereotypes going. Black people who live in the ghetto are not poor because they are inherently stupid and inconsiderate. They're poor because they're victims of a social system that doesn't give them a level playing field from birth, and at the same time conditions them to think they're lot in life is solely their fault and that they're not smart enough or ambitious enough to become an affluent member of society. I think all people need to work on leveling the playing field for lower economic classes and I also think all people, especially black people, need to appreciate the social context of many 'ghetto' behaviors, and realize that they are basically old habits that are hard but neccessary to break over time, in order to move away from their previous mindset and also in order to eliminate ignorant stereotypes.

User Detail :  

Name : Lash, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Bling
    Participant
    'You can take the person out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the person.'

User Detail :  

Name : Bling, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Selene
    Participant
    First, have you ever seen some people from a trailer park move into a nice neighborhood? These things are more of a class thing than race. When poor minorities obtain enough money to move to a nicer neighborhood, they are still the same person they were in the 'ghetto'. If you grew up in a place where no one maintained the yard, it's not easy to start devoting a lot of time and money on something you never cared about. Some people can afford a better home but can't afford to buy a new car, too. Plus, people from the 'ghetto' have their own culture. Just because they live in a new area doesn't mean they want to completely acculturate to the white, suburban culture. Nobody wants to be a sell-out. About the walking in the street thing: attending college in a college town, I know plenty of white kids who do the same thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Selene, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cami
    Participant
    I am a 18 year old black female and I can say that I nor my parents have ever lived in a 'ghetto'. Our neighborhood is upper-middle to middle class and the majority of the people in this neighborhood are black. Not all of us black people live in the 'ghetto'. As a matter of fact there are only three people living in our house, my mom, my dad and myself, thats it. Often times I see white people living in 'trailer parks' and 'ghettos' and I often wonder the same about 'them'. Why do they leave rusted car parts in their yards? Why don't they move out of trailer parks? When I go to school I can usually tell that the live in a 'trailer park'. 'They' come to school with clothes that have holes in them and are obviously unclean. 'They' often come to class unprepared and 'they' disrespect the teachers. 'They' also walk across busy streets and don't seem to care whether 'they' get hit or not. Why do 'they' do this. Could it be the same reason why SOME black people are like that.

User Detail :  

Name : Cami, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Severn, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Full Time College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

kareem abdulghani
    Participant
    The move to another neighborhood is rooted in the previous federal policies of the FHA which prohibited negroes from living in certain areas and also caused insurance rates to alter. This policy was known as red-lining. With regard to bringing their neighborhoods with them this is a constant of all communites, if you visit the isreali towns in palestine the towns reflect european culture, not semitic culture. Similiarly when whites move to other areas they maintain the values of the culture of their origin. Being more specific about walking in front of cars, there is a cultural belief that walkers have rights and a sense of community safety that says courtesy toward walkers is a norm. Whites have developed a culture of the driver is king and hence it is irritating to them when the driver is delayed. When visiting other nations you may find the same attitudes, in some the car is king of the road while in others the walker is king. It depends upon the cultural experience of the people whether they feel it is challenging or neighborliness.

User Detail :  

Name : kareem abdulghani, City : newark, State : NJ Country : United States, 

T. Arroyo
    Participant
    I find it strang that you would ask that question and classify it under race/ethnicity, because it has a lot more to do with socio-econimics. Regardless of race, when someone is used to a certain life style and that is all that they know, they are only able change certain aspects. Understandably, no one wants to live in the 'ghetto' and often times you cannot change who you are until you are able to remove yourself from certain situations. Instead of judging these poeple, try to understand who they are, what their struggle is, and how they are trying to overcome it. By doing so, you may realize that many of the poeple that you make assumptions about are not much different from you. Also, poeople from many ethnic backgrounds have different values. It is very acceptable to live several families to one unit and does not neccesarily mean that they are poor. It could be that they are just a very close knit family. Things are not always as they seem. If you claim that they are able to bring down the neighborhood, maybe it was not that great in the first place. Last but not least, there is a problem with todays youth in general. Many of them lack discipline and respect. The color of ones skin has nothing to do with it. I live in a very nice area that is 95% WHITE and we still have that problem. There have been several bikers, skate boarders, and children in general struck and killed because they disregard traffic laws and motorist. Although this is a some what valid concern, it sounds like you have a problem with minorities because you are stereo-typing. You cannot put a face on povery, crime, or this particular situation because it would be incorrect to do so.

User Detail :  

Name : T. Arroyo, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Managment, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brittany19602
    Participant
    I don't know if you are familiar with the saying 'You can take the person out of the street, but you can't take the street out of the person'. Simply meaning that just because a person has elevated in social class financially does not mean that their attitude or personas change they just live a better lifestyle. And to address your statement about more than one family in a housing unit, you were referring to hispanics. The reason why they do this is very smart because they are working together to provide for their families in their homeland and by doing so they are saving money by living in the same housing unit.

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany19602, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 17, City : Largo, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Entrepreneur, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.