Bringing the “ghetto” with them…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Glenn
    It isn't about bring the 'ghetto' with them. It's about bringing what the individual grew up with (which is an integral part of the individual). This is no different than someone, who raised in an environment in which country music and the wearing of 'cowboy hats and boots' was the norm, or classical music and jazz, and the 'preppie/Ivy league' style of dress is the norm, continues to enjoy a type music and style of dress where ever they go. It IS 'them'. As to the rest, well, all blacks don't do such things and all blacks do not enjoy the same type of music. At least literally none of the blacks I know uniformly fit such a sterotype.

User Detail :  

Name : Glenn, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, Age : 48, City : Turkey, State : NA Country : Turkey, Occupation : retired, Social class : Middle class, 

Di25721
    Participant
    If you are truly interested in this topic - more than just venting about some 'ghetto' people who recently moved in nearby.. Read Jay McLoeds 'Ain't No Makin It' - Becasue frankly sweetheart the answer to that is not a simple one- but I will tell you this- If you were forced by some screw up in finances to more to a rental unit in 'THE HOOD' would you drop your middle class mentality and lifestyle? Would you start walking in front of traffic... would you start parking broken cars in your front yard. No you would hole on to your lifestlye and say this is me - this is what I know... If you grew up in the projects in some hood and then worked your way up to owning a home in a middle class neighborhood... Would you even THINK oh its that time of year to clean the gutters.... how do you know to do these things if you've never experienced them before. Not saying in any way people who move up from the ghettos are stupid- on the contrary if they get out they are doing something amazing- but you have to look at societies impact on their behavior as well as personal choices. As far as 'minority' youths walking in front of cars a sif challenging them. I can tell you from personal experience graduating from a class of 400 and being one of 8 black students- we used to 'challenge' people all the time. Becasue of this constant 'double-conciousness'(DuBois) I am aware of who I am as a black person - but I am also aware of how white people see me.. and I understand that more times that not it is through the mind set of BLACK female.. not just female. So as far a s the cars- for me it was my own silent rebellion.. you may look down on me - you may think you're better than me becasue of the color of your skin... but you WILL respect my life... and it was amusing becasue of how white people tend to be scared of black people because of how they see blacks portrayed in the media or becasue of ONE bad experience they had with a black person - they decide to label the entire race by those few examples instead of treating each black person as an individual. SO look up double-conciousness by DuBois and loof up Aint No Makin It by Jay McLoed!! Good luck in continuing your knowledge on people... and while your at it... look up a book on white culture.. yes there is such a thing and yes it very interesting when you learn something about why you may think the way you do.. learning about yourself may help you understand other people.. in fact I promise it will !!

User Detail :  

Name : Di25721, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Juan
    Participant
    Just goes in line with the old 'you can take them out of the jungle, but can't take the jungle out of them' line. Now that is not refering to all african americans at all, but I know exactly the group you are refering to. We are seeing it here in my city. We give them new housing and move them into new neighborhoods and within a year they are exactly like the old places.

User Detail :  

Name : Juan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 34, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Engineer, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper class, 

Truthteller
    Participant
    What a sad naivete' this question reveals. They act that way because they can't help themselves. Imagine for a moment that you dressed a chimpanzee in a tuxedo and sent him to a high school prom. Would he magically become a teenager and dance and have some punch? Of course not. He'd mess the tuxedo and hang from the basketball goals. So it is with our countrymen of African descent. You can move them to the most upscale neighborhoods in the most upscale towns, and their nature will make itself plain before too long. Sad, yes, but true.

User Detail :  

Name : Truthteller, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jay
    Participant
    You are probably dealing with a lot of factors:
    1. Upbringing - If you take someone from the back woods, they are still probably going to listen to country music, watch NASCAR and drink beer. Don't expect someone who just moved from the a very different environment to instantly transform themselves into the Cleaver family.

2. Guilt - Blacks who move out to better neighborhoods are often under a lot of scrutiny to 'not sell out'. Unfortunately, 'keeping it real' often means clashes with the new environment. However, regarding dress, freedom of expression is a right granted by the First Amendment. I don't think anyone has ever been hurt because one of their neighbors wore their jeans a little too baggy. If you don't like it, you probably shouldn't wear it.

3. Defensiveness - The blacks who move to that neighborhood are prepared to face racism, and probably already have their guard up. This might be a case where the best defense really is not a strong offense.

4. I assume you are over-generalizing when you say 'they' and 'their'. I live in an upper-middle class neighborhood with a great deal of diversity. Until you see someone walk out of the house, you can't tell whether it is owned by a black, white or Asian because we all keep our houses and yards nice. I don't think my neighborhood is the exception.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 33, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : IT-Analyst, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

P-Brooks
    Participant
    My Great Aunt lived in Harlem. She would complain about how people would not keep up their homes in Harlem. There are slobs everywhere, and when they get money it doesn't make them neat. The advantage of having money is that you can live where there are ways to make the slobs take care of their property (for example, deed restrictions). I notice that you are from the North, and you will see urban ghettos that are predominantly black. Look in the South and you'll see Caucasians who will not keep up their property.

User Detail :  

Name : P-Brooks, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 54, City : Lakeland, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kim26354
    Participant
    Because thats who they are. They are comfortable with themselves, which in part is a good thing. They have what they want, as in money, so why should they assimilate to your standards? Im not defending these people, just showing a different perspective. And I also think this post has more to do with class than ethnicity.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim26354, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : varies, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Sharell
    Participant
    We must remember that the term 'ghetto' is not just a location, but also a frame of mind. White folks can be 'ghetto' also, it simply depends on the people. People that have been elite members of the ghetto many times only have lived that livestyle, therefore cannot immediately change their behavior. Instead of being problem-based, we should be solution-based and educate ALL people on their behavior patterns. Thats what makes this site so wonderful!

User Detail :  

Name : Sharell, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Summit Argo, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : entertainment jr. executive, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Peter
    Participant
    Have you heard the saying, 'you can take one out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of them?' This is a common saying among black folk, meaning that old habits die hard. Although this behavior of 'bringing the ghetto' with them is annoying to the neighbors, you got to understand that as with anything, one cannot instantly drop one's way of life because some neighbors desire it. How would you like it If you moved to a Swedish community and they posted a question about why you brought our annoying American habits with you? Why can't you just instantly conform with the Swedish culture entirely? Things take time, and old habits die hard.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andy23938
    Participant
    Coming from a white guy, I think that it has to do with the fact that other black people think that a well-to-do black person who has made a good life for him/herself is a 'sell-out'. Black people who adapt to a higher-class lifestyle are often viewed as 'not black' by their peers. This is something that needs to be addressed within their race so the black community can continue to improve their lifestyles without being degraded by their peers.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy23938, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Whitney
    J, that's not just Black folks. Many people of ALL races who 'move on up' bring their 'ghetto ways' with them. I wonder the same about White people who move into nicer neighborhoods and sit on the porch drinking beer and spitting tobacco at anything that passes. Also, to be honest, I've always thought it was White people who feel they own everything, ESPECIALLY walkways, etc. and will walk out in front of your car when you're 2 feet away from them. It seems everywhere I go I have White people walking in front of my bumper...at the supermarket, at the mall, on campus, everywhere. You all also tend to walk in the middle of aisles, making it extremely difficult to get anywhere. Oh! And you don't move because you 'own' EVERYTHING!!! I can tell you it gets very frustrating at times.

User Detail :  

Name : Whitney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Tunica, State : MS Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeff31167
    Participant
    Because Arrogance combined with Ignorance will last a lifetime.

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff31167, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 45, City : Victoria, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graphic Designer - Art director, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley B.
    Participant
    Just because someone wants to live in nicer neighborhood doesn't mean they need to change who they are especially something as trivial as the way they dress. Also, a lot of black people's (and maybe other minorities?) family structures are not as narrow as whites. Elderly grandparents and cousins are seen as immediate family and may live together with a 'nuclear' family for a variety of reasons. Money and child-rearing are two common reasons many extended families live together under one roof. For instance, my mom was a single working mother and I never spent one day in day care and can count the number of times a non-relative babysitted me because there was usually a grandparent or cousin living with us when I was a kid. Also any family that is in a sense, 'moving up' in terms of class may struggle a bit financially so what you may see as a wrecked car may be a car they are working hard to fix because they can't afford to just let it go. In regards to the hostility you spoke of, you should really ask yourself if these minority youth are more hostile than white youth. As a young black woman I struggle all the time trying to appear non-threatening because white people seem to be more likely to percieve me as hostile. Also, these youth may feel that there neighbors are hostile to them and so they are responding to that.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

C-Ford
    Participant
    Whoa there, please define 'they'. Is it ALL minorities or just some? Having said that, there is a culture of poverty that surfaces even when people do better financially. Culture is something you inherit from your surroundings/family. Cultural norms are instilled automatically from birth. What is 'normal' or second-nature from birth is not easily changed just because you change zip codes. You can take a boy out of the ghetto; but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy. While this is an oversimplification, for many people it applies. Consider the opposite case. Imagine that you fell from grace and HAD to move to the ghetto. Would you then 'act and dress' the way they do in the ghetto, or would you behave in the way that you were raised?

User Detail :  

Name : C-Ford, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 42, City : Pasadena, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Education, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    The answer is that 'the ghetto' is a human trait, not a physical location. Whole countries that are impoverished far worse than those in, say, the typical American ghetto, live fully functional lives where community, family and individual civility are strong and normalized. The ghetto lives in the person. When they move, literally, the ghetto moves. So often, poverty is the result of behaviors and not the other way round. If you are not smart enough or respectful enough to keep a street clear to allow cars to use it, you are not smart or respectful enough to have a job. You will stay trapped in the ghetto.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, City : Windsor, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.