Blacks and dancing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Lola G.
    Participant
    Why does it seem that black people are better dancers than white people?

User Detail :  

Name : Lola G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 33, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

angie24966
    Participant
    I remember when I was in college going to a few dances that had various races attending and I would always be shocked at how well the white and asian people danced. I've had white and asian men ask me to dance and assume that since I'm black I have a natural dancing ability. I never have been able to dance like most people assume black people can. My singing voice is terrible too.

User Detail :  

Name : angie24966, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : conway, State : AR Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Shane28072
    Participant
    I've been wondering about this a long time. I go to school in North Carolina, and I see a lot of African Americans in my school. They all seem to have a lot of rhythm and flow, even when they're sitting down. I think it's because they're raised to be more open and expressive. Maybe that's why most of them sing pretty well, too. Asians, on the other hand, are raised in a more repressive environment, so a good deal of us are horrible dancers.

User Detail :  

Name : Shane28072, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Chapel Hill, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nelson-A20190
    Participant
    For the umpteenth time, race has nothing to do with dancing. If you want to see whites, blacks, browns and people of all colors bumpin' and grindin' and salsa dancing (which even american blacks have a hard time learning) come to Venezuela or go to Miami. Venezuelans of all these races learn to dance at an early age. Because of family parties, school activities, camps, etc. kids are exposed to music, rythm and dancing. People learn to fit into their social groups, and down here dancing is part of it. Hispanics (of any color) are expected to dance, the ones that don't are an oddity. Music and rythm is part of black society in the US. That's the reason and nothing else, exposure, just exposure and the need to fit in to your social group.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A20190, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Lawyer/Business, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Nathan20112
    Participant
    I can't dance at all! The very few times that I have danced in public, somebody who was sitting at a table told me that I dance well. Maybe since we all dance so well, he thought that what I was doing must be what good dancing looks like. Go figure.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20112, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Courtney31869
    Participant
    IT'S GOTA BE THAT D*** DEPRESSING A** COUNTRY MUSIC THAT A LOT OF WHITES LISTEN TO. OHHHHHHHHH I LOST MY TRUCK,HOUSE,WIFE AND KIDS. AINT THAT WHAT MOST COUNTRY SINGERS SING ABOUT,C'MON HOW CAN YOU DANCE TO SOME S*** LIKE THAT?

User Detail :  

Name : Courtney31869, City : Not gona tell, State : NA Country : United States, 

Annie
    Participant
    It's a cultural thing. If you are white and you can't dance, it's not big a deal. Now, if you are black, and you can't dance, you will be humiliated. Dancing takes practice, it's not hard. If you can clap, you can dance. Many black people start from when they are young because dancing is a big part of most black cultures all over the world. I used to be a bad dancer and I was laughed at and teased. I had to learn how to dance to save myself from the shame. I took a couple of months, watching music videos and danced all the time alone. You have to practice and practice like most things.

User Detail :  

Name : Annie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : A, State : NA Country : Spain, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary21963
    Participant
    I have a blind masseur who is one of two massage therapists in Texas that are allowed to do manipulation of the spine (in other words, he is a chiropractor without the degree). He has been practicing massage therapy for 40 years, the whole time blind. He told me that he can tell when he is working on a black person because the knees are turned a little bit outward resulting in better flexibility (hence superior performance in dancing, sports, etc.). I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it makes sense to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary21963, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Orthodox Christian, Age : 19, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

AmberW
    Participant
    If you look at many African societies, you will notice that Africans are a very rhythmic people. They incorporate drum beats and rhythm in alot of their tribal rituals. That is were we come from, so naturally we have aquired a certain 'inner rhythm'. During the slavery days, many slaves incorporated important messages through song, which the overseers and plantation owners could not understand. Ever heard the song 'Wade in the Water'? That was actually a code song field hands used to sing to let the other slaves know that a meeting or escape was planned for that night. You can just say a natural sense of rhythm is in our blood. (p.s. Since I already know it is coming, let me say that, yes, there are Blacks who cannot dance as well as Whites and Asians that can.)

User Detail :  

Name : AmberW, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Greenville, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Back in Africa you know how they be dancing in circles and singing/shouting.I guess we as african americans during slavery danced and song spirituals and it was passed down from generation to generation.plus our curvacious hips make us look good when we be booty popp'in.

User Detail :  

Name : Daisha-Fernindad31857, City : Edmond, State : CT Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.