Black women/Asian women dating white men

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Cynthia31777
    Participant
    Like pre-20th century Europe, Asian society generally viewed light skin as being more attractive than dark. Dark skin meant that one was a worker, and not of the leisure/educated class. Perhaps that's why Asian women date white men and not black or hispanic. Another reason is Asians are more likely to be living in middle class (or above) neighbourhoods than other ethnicities.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31777, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 22, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Teri
    Participant
    I am a black female living in an area where mixed unions are common. However, it seems that most of these are Asian women with white men. I admit that the incidence of black female/white male couplings is higher here than any other place I've lived. But is it my imagination that when white men go outside their cultural group, it is more common, or easier, or more preferred, for them to be with Asians than blacks?

User Detail :  

Name : Teri, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Reston, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Jerry30755
    Participant
    You are right. In most interracial marriages involving white men and non-white women, the women generally tend to be Asian or Hispanic, and only rarely black. But white women who date outside their race prefer dating black men over Asians. I do not know why, but the media could be extremely responsible. The media has an enormous influence on people, more than governments do. Most of the time, the media tends to portray Asian women as submissive, while black women are potrayed as unfeminine and unwanted. In the case of men, black men are shown as more masculine, while Asian men are portrayed as unmanly. Indeed, according to statistics on interracial marriages, Asian/white marriages consist nearly 80 percent of a white husband, while in case of black/white marriages, 80 percent consist of a black husband. But you are not alone. I have seen this several times. But I have yet to see an Asian man/black woman couple.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry30755, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 42, City : Denver, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : doctor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

JerryS
    Participant
    I think there are several reasons for what you've observed. First of all, the large number of white men that the armed forces stationed in Asia between WWII and Viet Nam led to a number of mixed-race marriages. That also broke the ice in a way, so that white men marrying Asian women was more accepted. Second, while the US had its own supply of blacks, with 200 years worth of attitudes and prejudices, Asians were more of a novelty and in many cases the first Asian in a small town would be a war bride. Third, many people just naturally find people who look somewhat like them (or their relatives) attractive. All of those jokes about men marrying women who look like their mothers notwithstanding, I suspect that most people are less likely to be attracted to someone whose coloring is radically different from anything they are used to.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Chris32209
    Participant
    I agree that the media sensationalizes ethnic groups as having certain attributes. But I think the majority of interracial relations/marriages, are due to how the person feels about that other person. If white boys happen to have a thing for Asian, Latina, Black/African American, then they have every right to pursue who they feel they want to be with. It's not that any 'combo' is common, it's just the frequency of how often you see interracial couples.

Myself, I am Filipino and am the one Asian guy who will holla at black women. Now, the reason Asian men are rarely seen with black women is due to the parenting and peers. Of course, the parents are the major voice in the Asian culture (correct me you perfect Asians if you disagree with this statement). The parents dictate who you should go out with and what you should do with your life. My parents allowed me to be free and discover things on my own about life, people and other things. Also, my parents weren't so strict about who I dated, as long as they were respectful and had manners.

My peers were never into black women; all they were attracted to were Filipinas. The reason for that was that my peers came from homes where their parents told them to date only Filipinas because it would mess up the gene pool or some garbage like that. When I would hang out with my friends, I would get clowned hard for talking about trying to holla at a black woman. Filipinas were never attracted to me because I have a lot of Spanish blood, and they wouldn't believe I was Asian. The black women I have talked to and dated have liked me for my sense of humor, intelligence and flare for comedy. But all in all, I feel that it's more a preference than anything else for someone to date outside their race. Nobody can really control who you feel being comfortable with, except yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32209, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Sales Rep, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Kristina
    I agree with what you're saying. Why is this the case? Well, there are so many reasons, but one of the biggest ones is racism, with internalized racism in the Asian community, and the 'expected' anti-black racism of the white community. In the Asian community, with many Asians white is simply viewed as better. If you have a white mate on your arm that is a step-up then even having an Asian mate on your arm. The issue is compounded because (from what I've read about this issue on various Asian websites)some Asian women feel that white men are less sexist then Asian men. Having a Korean man on my arm, however, I am inclined to disagree; they see what they want to see to continue doing as they do. As far as racism in the white community against blacks, black women have never throughout history been portrayed as the woman you marry. During the slave era black women were raped so much, she was just 'tossed' aside, as some sex toy you can use on occassion, but you can never love, or commit to her. I believe some white men that date Asian women are in this category-- they would use a black woman for sex, but nothing more --- the Asian woman is better 'wifey' material. Others, though are generally more open-minded about interracial dating in general. I've been in some forums where white men said they dated all races of women, including black. With these type, who will not let racism interefere with committing with ANY woman, they usually don't approach black women because it is known most black women want black men.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

michael20730
    Participant
    I will try to answer this question using the scientific principles of anthropology and race. your observations are correct. i think race is the most important factor in this. generally the reason that most men find asian women attractive is they seem foreign and exotic to them.so the only attribute that most men see in asian women is physical vice versa. genetically , the asians are a completely different race , having few similarities with other races. eg black and whites have some common features with each other but asians do not possess any racial similarity to the whites, or for that matter to any other race. women usually make their mate selection based on compatibility and companionship, so that is why you dont see a lot of women dating asian men.while the most important factor that men consider in a mate is physical attraction and hence you see more asian women/white or black men relationship.

User Detail :  

Name : michael20730, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Here in New York I have to say that white men are a little more 'liberal' when they 'date outside' of their race, they will date asians, blacks and hispanics. However when asians date outside they prefer to date whites (or those that look white, hence, white-hispanics) and this is due to their taboos of dating blacks. They are told, as children, NOT to even become friendly with blacks. So to see asians daing blacks probably means that one of them is of mixed blood (i.e. black dating asian/black or asian dating asian/black). Black men, like white men, are 'liberal' daters. We will date women of all races as long as they are smart and have a sense of humor (and, of course, decent looking).

User Detail :  

Name : kofi manani, Gender : M, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Jason Norden
    Participant
    It's hard for me to say the majority of interacial couples I see around here are black men and white women and not the other way around. I don't know if that means whe white men are not interested in black women or what?

User Detail :  

Name : Jason Norden, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Baldwin, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Real Estate Agent, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

lyda
    Participant
    -Maybe it's the stereotype that Caucasians have of Asians; them being 'model minorities' -The white male stereotyping Asian women can 'cook and clean' for them if they were to marry -Because his parents or peers would approve of that relationship more than if he was to date a black woman (it's the truth) -But most of all because of the media-we don't see a lot of Afro-American women with Caucasian men on TV I honestly would be taken aback also if I was to see a Black female crossing the street holding hands with a White male (we just don't see that often). I am an Asian(Cambodian and Chinese)woman with fair skin and pretty attractive. More Black men and Hispanics are attracted to me than White men.

User Detail :  

Name : lyda, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : long beach, State : CA Country : United States, 

Jessica
    Participant
    Many men I've been around that are married to Asian women are my father's age and older, and they were in Vietnam or Korea and fell in love. These are black, white, and any other kind of man that served in either of these wars. Aside from that, I think there is this fantasy among many white women about black men because of their rumored penis size.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

meow
    Participant
    -- My observation about why white men date asian women is: 1. Stereotype A - asian women are sometimes stereotyped as submissive and less aggressive - which may be, in some cases, ideal qualities white men look for if they want to be the dorminate partner in a relationship. 2. Stereotype B - asian women are mysterious, exotic and attractive like the famous Lucy Lui (she is attractive), glorified by Hollywood. 3. Geographical element - white men have a higher chance to meet asian women in a city where there is high concentration of asian population. 4.Trend - in some cities, like LA? it is cool for a white man to show off his asian date, along side with his wheels. ---- I probably did not address your query on why it seems white men date asians rather than african americans. But being an asian myself who is married to a white man gives one side of the story. However, Both of us never really looked for the preferred 'color' to date. We just clicked when we first met. For me it has to be chemistry, not color. :-)

User Detail :  

Name : meow, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 30+, City : LA, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.