Black prejudice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tonya
    I don't understand why blacks can have their own colleges where whites are looked down upon for enrolling. It is near impossible for white students to attend Grambling State University in Louisiana, for example. If a black student had that much trouble getting into any university, it would be viewed as racist. Why do blacks say whites are so prejudiced, when they are just as prejudiced, if not more so?

User Detail :  

Name : Tonya, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Monroe, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Accounting, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gregory-H21595
    Participant
    If anyone looks down on whites for enrolling in Historically Black Colleges/Universities (HBCUs - note the name, it is not a mere semantic distinction), it is other whites. Blacks have their 'own colleges' because historically, they were legally denied admission to 'white' colleges on the basis of race (if you doubt this, study the doctrine of separate but equal), so they created their own system of colleges and universities. They continue today because a) they are good schools, and b) many black students feel more comfortable around other black students and they often tend to perform better at such schools. To flip this, you must realize that most American universities are basically 'white' schools - professors, students, curricula, organizations, etc. are dominated by whites. I know several white students who attended HBCUs, and their experiences were almost universally positive. I think your initial question was an attempt, not at eliciting a real answer, but at baiting. I took the bait. A better question may be: Why, in 2001, do so many blacks feel so much more comfortable around other blacks? Are they made to feel uncomfortable in non-HBCUs? I didn't attend an HBCU and certainly did feel a large degree of ostracism and distance from the white students (who comprised the overwhelming majority) at my school. The administration was completely incapable and/or unwilling to recognize any problem, and I'm quite sure I would have had a better experience at an HBCU.

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory-H21595, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : law student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

ACC25071
    Participant
    That's not at all like what my cousin went through. She attended a historically black college where she was actively recruited and given a fellowship to induce her to attend. Quite a few white students there were in her situation as well. And did you see the piece on 60 Minites a few months ago? It apparently is becoming quite common for whites with lower scores to be let into historically black schools. How does it feel now that the shoe is on the other foot?

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25071, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, City : W. Lafayette, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

TR24201
    Participant
    First, I seriously doubt your assertion that historically black colleges and universities discriminate against non-blacks. Tuskegee University, for instance, has a sizable white student population, and I've known white girls who attended Spelman College. They are a minority, yes, but no more of a minority than black students in most colleges and universities across the country. Their small number isn't due to discriminatory admissions practices, but to the fact that whites generally perceive predominantly black institutions as inferior and thus choose not to attend these schools (Alabama State actually has a scholarship program targeted to white students, for the sake of diversity). Secondly, HBCUs are cultural centers and serve students who do not want their memories of college to be from the perspective of someone in a cultural and racial minority. As a black female who attended a nearly all-white, all-male university, I know how hard it is being the 'only one,' and I wonder if my college experience would have differed if I had attended a college where I wasn't constantly worrying about 'sticking out.' HBCUs foster a close-knit community where students can immerse themselves in African-American culture while educating themselves in other areas. Since most colleges and unversities are historically and presently 'white,' allowing the existence of 'cultural yeshivas' like HBCUs is only fair.

User Detail :  

Name : TR24201, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Angie
    Participant
    I attend Tennessee State University in Nashville, which is an HBCU. TSU, along with some other state universities, has been legally forced to integrate. It was established in 1912 for black students who needed to finish high school or who weren't afforded the opportunity to attend any other state school, like the University of Tennessee.

In 1974, the UT system opened a school in Nashville. That was deemed financially impossible by the state, so there was a decision to merge UT Nashville with TSU. White students did not want to attend TSU, so the state forced TSU to improve the buildings and grounds, then stipulated to TSU that the school must become 50 percent white and 50 percent other by 1990. That did not happen. After 10 years of rumors and threats, the stipulation was dropped. White students at TSU are not harrassed, made fun of or treated in any derogatory fashion. In fact, they are given a full scholarship if they have a 19 on the ACT and a 2.5 GPA! The thing is, you cannot force students to come to a college with ethnic diversity.

User Detail :  

Name : Angie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 21, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa22795
    Participant
    You are truly misinformed. Whites planning to enroll at colleges where the majority is non-white have great chances of getting accepted via affirmative action. I've never heard of anyone 'looking down upon' whites that attend black colleges. Maybe that's your own issue. I think you have much more on your mind than discrimination. You may want to research this so you will be factually informed.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22795, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Gaithersburg, State : MD Country : United States, 

Hurley
    It's just a matter of reversal of roles. A black person who goes to a predominantly white college (like I do) feels the same way. I think it's a matter of being comfortable outside your race.

The other ideas about blacks being prejudiced are silly. How can white people maintain that they are 'victims of prejudice' by blacks? We don't have the power. Either way, a white person has a better chance of being OK, so I don't think they need to complain about discrimination.

User Detail :  

Name : Hurley, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Berea, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicole
    Participant
    Think about this: There are (I'll guesstimate) around 500 universities in the US. Out of these, 25 are historically black. That's 1/20 (or 0.05 percent) schools that are black. What's the problem? All of the other schools are 'white' (at least 70 percent). You may not realize this because it seems a 'white' school is considered a 'normal' school. I don't understand why you're complaining. You have 475 other schools to apply too, whereas there are only 25 I have a good chance of getting into. And if a white really wants to get into a HBCU, then do what we do to get into your schools: try, try, and try again to be ten times better, go to extremes, and get back up if you are kicked in the butt. And I go to an HBCU. There are plenty of whites, maybe not more than twenty percent, but not many applied to go their anyway. What's your problem?

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 19, City : Washington, DC, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

alex
    Participant
    Obviously you have never made a trip down to Texas A&M university, that is 86% white, was founded ONLY for white males, and later reluctanly let in people of color. Its STILL a white university....what do you think about that.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.