Being Mistaken for Black Taking Toll on Me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jocelyn J.
    Participant
    I'm a Polynesian mistaken as black every day of my life and socially isolated. When white people find out I am NOT black they become friendly, saying others don't like blacks, or they are ashamed/shocked and ignore me. I am exhausted explaining myself repeatedly and/or dressing in 100% Hawaiian Costume or wearing a t-shirt to identify myself. What can I do to change this?

User Detail :  

Name : Jocelyn J., City : Cordova, State : TN Country : United States, 

Ann L. Lowenstein
    Participant
    Well, you could try moving to another state, or moving to one of the larger cities in TN where people aren't quite so pig-ignorant and racist. If neither of those is an option, you could try turning the tables and either asking them why they care what race you are, or telling them you're not black, and then reassuring them it's okay, because 'all you toothless, inbred Hillbilly Crackers look alike to me, too.' Unfortunately, stupid, rude, ignorant, nosy people are the rule rather than the exception any more.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann L. Lowenstein, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 37, City : K.C., State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Administrative Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Adele19765
    Participant
    My question to you is why would you want to be friends with such racist people? If someone treated me differently because I looked white I would not want to be their friend. If you say you're Catholic that means you love GOD and he never judged people based on their race. Love all people as you love yourself. Plus black is truly beautiful, embrace your dark skin and stop letting people make you feel inferior.

User Detail :  

Name : Adele19765, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Nal
    Participant
    You should not have to explain your ethnic background in that way to anyone - if you do, it's their problem, not yours. If these people suddenly change their behavior toward you when they discover your 'real' ethnicity, then they don't really know you, and they don't care to know you as a person, either. They are only seeing your physical characteristics and are making assumptions about you based on that. Are these the kinds of friends and associates you would truly want?

User Detail :  

Name : Nal, Gender : F, Age : 30, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Brad
    Participant
    You think you've got it bad? Try actually BEING Black! But I digress. You have the unfortunate experience of being 'surrounded by idiots'. What you should REALLY do is consider moving. However, if that's not possible (at least I'm guessing it isn't) then the best I can recommend is for you to keep your head up, be yourself, be proud of yourself, and if anybody misjudges because they think you're black (or any other color) then to hell with them. Stay strong!

User Detail :  

Name : Brad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer repair tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Marie
    Participant
    I wonder how long you have lived in Tennessee. Do you know the history of Africans in America? Particularly the history of blacks in America's Deep South? Obviously there is still a lot of hate and ignorance in people's hearts in that part of the country, and with all due respect, in terms of the oneness of the person and their environment, you are in the right place. It sounds to me like you really HATE being identified as a black person. Why does it bother you so much? Why don't you just walk around with a big sign on your back saying 'I'm WHITE', or whatever race you consider yourself to be? Really, the idea of race is all in our heads. Do some homework and you will see for yourself that it is nationality that, figuratively, separates us, not skin color. I am a black woman living in Australia. I am surrounded by Polynesian people who I think are beautiful both physically and in spirit. Here, I am a serious minority but I love the idea that I am contributing to Australia's multi-culturalism. Why do you care so much what people think you are? How do YOU feel about who and what you are? In my opinion, people who turn away from you because of your perceived 'race' are not people I'd want as friends, anyway. You are only 27 but you obviously have much to learn. You ask what can you do to change this. My answer: Once you change your mindset, you will find your environment will change to reflect what is in your heart. Until then....well, let's just say that you reap what you sow.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 47, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Ramzialzaki Weir
    Participant
    You're a person of color, too. If you look far enough into the lineage of any human being, you'll find that we all come from Africa. Period. In short, you are black whether you like it or not. You should all just deal with it.

User Detail :  

Name : Ramzialzaki Weir, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Cohoes, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Deirdre
    Participant
    Sweetie you should not worry about what people think about you. Being from upper East TN there isn't as much racism as I have experienced elsewhere (East TN was one of the leaders in the abolition movement), but there are IDIOTS out there. One thing that I have learned is to laugh about it. I find it very amusing when people try so hard to dislike me without ever knowing me based on my skin color. Throw out the fact that my mother is white and I am just as much white as black. Another issue that I have had is people thinking that I am Hispanic/Latino. It never bothers me. I've had some people treat me negatively because they think that I am H/L and I just go right along with it. Their ignorance would not change whether they were accepting of me or not. Another reason I think you might be mistaken for black is because of how close you are to Memphis! Embrace yourself and don't worry about correcting people about who you are. If it wasn't your ethnicity it would be something else, even the pronunciation of your name. (This is something I deal with NUMEROUS times every day. It gets monotonous, but each person is different and they can't help not knowing.) Good luck.

User Detail :  

Name : Deirdre, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : black and white, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Greeneville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    >>>>YAWN!!!<<<< How about making friends with INTELLIGENT people?

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.