Bare mattresses, crumpled cloths…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Bride
    Why it is that whenever the media goes into a poor house/apartment (or when the show 'Cops' does), there is almost always a bare mattress on the floor and piles of clothes everywhere? Why isn't there at least a sheet on the mattress? I understand if one could not afford a box spring/frameor dresser, but just because you are poor, do you have to be so sloppy, too? And why not fold the clothes?

User Detail :  

Name : Bride, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Robin-C29576
    Participant
    When I was really little (before I started school) my parents divorced, and my mom, sister and I moved into a little 'ghetto' apartment. I shared a room with my sister, and we had a mattress on the ground. Being kids, we always jumped on it and trashed the room every chance we got. My mom worked all week and took care of us when we weren't in day care (we were a handful, to say the least). Her housecleaning time was basically taken up by basic things such as keeping the kitchen and bathroom clean enough to keep us healthy, and things like clothes on the ground could 'go until next week.' Having a couple three-year-olds around and no time to clean made a bit of a difference.

User Detail :  

Name : Robin-C29576, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Amusement/entertainment, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason
    Participant
    I just moved out of the second-poorest neighborhood in my (small) city. In my experience, it's the apathy that gets or keeps them in the slums (for lack of a better term) that leads to the slovenly lifestyle. Ever notice how many poor people can also afford beer to drink on the corner, but they 'can't' afford to keep their children clean? It's a whole lifestyle. Not all people are like that, but the type you see on COPS don't think much of tomorrow, or they wouldn't be on COPS.

Other shows find the worst conditions to emphasize their point, even if part of the blame falls on the tenant, not the premises. As I say, I lived in a poor neighborhood and didn't keep my place up, either, because why clean up a dump? Ya can't shine a turd, as the saying goes. Now that I've graduated from school, I have a place to be proud of, so I do a better job taking care of it.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Medford, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Accountant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Erin
    Participant
    I am so poor sometimes I can't stand it! I am over $60,000 in debt because of school. My parents are probably about as poor as I am. I grew up in a mobile home in Michigan. I am probably just like the people on COPS. But.. my apartment here in California is really nice. I have all of Ikea's cheapest stuff but it looks really great. I always have sheets on the bed- I received a gift set of 400-thread count sheets, and I wash them often. It isn't a reflection of the poor- it's just how they choose to live life. I don't want to get in trouble and I care about getting on my feet. They obviously feel different due to their conditions. If you came in my apartment, you would not assume it is a 'poor' apartment, although it is. I bet, however, that some of the places on COPS are middle-class, they just don't choose to 'look' that way, (however it is supposed to look.) Probably for the same reasons they are on COPS: They are nuts!

User Detail :  

Name : Erin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Anaheim, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason31251
    Participant
    I know what you're saying. But it doesn't always mean slob. I prefer to have my mattress on the floor (usually on a box spring), because I hate losing things under the bed. I suck at folding clothes (they still come out wrinkly even after I fold them), so I just pile them in the closet, or corner if the closet is full. Sometimes I am known to not put a sheet on my matress, because I took it off to wash it, then took a shower or something and was too tired to put one on before I fell asleep. But that's only rarely since I know that sweat and dirt will eventually stain the mattress. But that's just me. I know there are others who just don't care if they sleep on a nasty mattress and have a foul-smelling pile of clothes on the floor.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31251, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Panama City, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.