Band-aids on faces, combs in Afros

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Diana
    Participant
    actually to correct you, the bandaid or marking under an eye was originated by the popstar LEFT EYE, (BEFORE SHE DIED AND WHEN SHE WAS JUST STARTING OUT AS A POPSTAR) SHE WOULD WEAR SOMETHING UNDER HER LEFT EYE.. THATS HOW SHE GOT THE NAME 'LEFT EYE' .. NELLY THEN USED THE SAME THING.. DONT KNO WHY HE DID .. MAYBE FOR THE REASONS YOU STATED, BUT NELLY DIDNT START THAT TREND!

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : white/native indian, Age : 19, City : Ocala, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

alex
    Participant
    Because they feel like it. Maybe people wanted to know why Jakie Kennedy decided to dress the way she did. reguardless, it became a big trend, as did what you are questioning

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 

Dashawn
    Participant
    It's just not blacks who are 'leaning back while chewing on plastic straws' i have white friends who also do the same thing when i ask why i get the respond just something to do. some chew on the bottom ring of the top of soda bottle. why do some guys wear baggy jeans b/c it's comfortable is what they would reply, some do it for no reason others just to have something in there mouth.

User Detail :  

Name : Dashawn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 17, City : dublin, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : worker, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    First of all, you are an African American. Calling yourself and American of African descent Doesn't make you any better than anyone else. Did you call it sad when in the 70s black people decided to wear african prints. No, I don't think you did and that I might say, was a fad. It is sad to relate baggy pants with a culture and people who do that are ignorant. I am only a freshman in college and I might not be as educated as you but I am little more open than you. It is a choice not a mark on our culture if someone decides to buy an escalade instead of a house. It is a choice if someone decides to wear their pants below their behind instead of at their waist. Are saying that because some people were unfortunate to grow up without a father that their mothers were unable to instill morals and values. I disagree. I've have a single parent mother and I have better values then some people I know that have both their parents living at home. As a matter of fact my mother is an ordained minister who also holds down a job and owns her home and two cars. She did this without the aid of foodstamp, welfare and without the help of my father. Did I metion that I am the youngest of seven and the seventh child to go to college. Think about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Aayesha Izoela LaMark, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Waitress, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ricky4Real
    they want to do something different, something you all won't copy and exploit!! (hopefully) it's a choice just like a white guy may wear a muluck (hair style) or dye his hair pink, wear it spiked or what ever you white folks like to do, it's your right, most blacks won't copy it----- but i bet it'll be white boys all over the world copying our style...(look at hip hop then look at country music).......ask your self why to that!

User Detail :  

Name : Ricky4Real, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Entertainment, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Ashley B.
    Participant
    Listen lady, i am a white teenager and i think that you just do not get out enough. i live in the suburbs of milwaukee in a fairly good town. we are mainly a white 'town' but we are fairly diverse. all the tape under the eye and the comb in the fro is is the style. why do white women sit up so straight and must be ettiquite when doing everything? that's your world...not everyone else's.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley B., City : Kenosha, State : WI Country : United States, 

Cristina R
    To answer your question on why black men wear picks in their hair,is because many people don't know it but back in the late 60s and 70s many picks with the 'fist'handle were worn by blacks as a symbol of black pride during the Civil Rights Movement,and everyone men,women,and children all grew afro's as a symbol.I am not however saying that today's new fads are as symbolic as that was but it gives you an idea of how we as a people have to fight to express our individuality as a black race

User Detail :  

Name : Cristina R, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : cashier, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Nicole
    Participant
    I guess you would be amazed that white males wear their pants blow their butts as well. I have seen mainstream America emulate this 'crap;' hence, the lowrise jeans for women and men. Now, so what if they drive an Escalade with rims and live in apartment. What does that have to anything? Where do you live and what kind of car do you drive? You are displaying a little stupidity yourself! Yes they may be watching BET and wanting to emulate what they see, but it is true for whites who look at supermodels or celebrities and want to be skinny to have that 'perfect' body. So what do you have to say about that? It is sad because what you said adds to the stereotypes about blacks, not what they wear.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ashley23514
    Participant
    I think the thug look is hot!

User Detail :  

Name : ashley23514, Gender : F, City : miami, State : MI Country : United States, 

ashley23513
    Participant
    Actually he wears it when hes doing something that his BROTHER in prison might see. Other wise your right

User Detail :  

Name : ashley23513, City : miami, State : MI Country : United States, 

Pedro
    Participant
    I wouldn't say this is a culture as you describe it Angela. It is a youthful fashion that will come and go as did unlaced sneakers and oversized medallions. Youths have always flocked to all 'counter culture' elements whether they were race based or not [like Goth or the skateboarder ethos]. Currently, hip-hop culture is the flavor of the month though it has staying power [just as the rock invasion did in the sixties] Sure marketers will try to capitalize on this and this marketing to youths of often overpriced clothing is the real travesty. Frankly I think most adults of all 'races' are disappointed by the slovenly appearance of todays teens.

User Detail :  

Name : Pedro, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 33, City : Easton, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Telecommunications, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

christie
    I don't get it. If Nelly first wore the bandage on his fce to cover a cut. How did that turn into a way of honoring a friend?

User Detail :  

Name : christie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : depression, anxiety, Age : 37, City : southern, State : IL Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.