Band-aids on faces, combs in Afros

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Katherine
    Is there any cultural significance to why I've seen black men with what looks like a Band-aid or some sort of tape underneath an eye? Is it simply a fad? Also, is there any significance to sticking a pick comb through an Afro? And why does it seem like I've seen so many young black males leaning back while chewing on plastic straws?

User Detail :  

Name : Katherine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 19, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Nicole20029
    Participant
    The Band-aid trend was started by the musician Nelly. He originally had it on his face to cover a basketball injury. Even though he is now healed, he still wears the bandage in honor of an imprisoned friend. Fans of Nelly have since copied this unusual look.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole20029, Gender : F, Age : 25, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, 

Ramon
    These occurrences you've described are silly fads. As an American of African descent, I sometimes get frustrated over such silly, trivial displays of stupidity by other black males. These fads just add to the stereotypes put upon us. What is the practical significance of wearing pants below your butt so that your underwear is exposed, of chewing on a straw, wearing a Band-aid where there's no cut, limping as if you have a war injury, constantly refraining from using correct English, spending your whole paycheck on an outfit, putting gold in your mouth or driving a Cadillac Escalade with rims while you live in an apartment? Most of our young black men are so easily led by the unrealistic images on BET that they try to emulate this crap. These individuals have no identity, are misguided and easily follow whatever fad arises without questioning its source and/or meaning. Almost 70 percent of black households have no father. Much more have a male present who doesn't do a father's job. This is what we have reaped. It is sad.

User Detail :  

Name : Ramon, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/Hispanic, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 26, City : Savannah, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Graduate Student MPA, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

William
    He wears a bandage in honer of an imprisoned friend. That is so sweet. I think i am going to cry.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kesha26492
    Participant
    Yes, it is a ridiculous looking fad. I don't know why people copy some of the styles they see. As far as the Nelly thing, he didn't start that, Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes started that. And he didn't start wearing that band-aid thing until after she passed away. They were friends, and I guess it's some sort of rememberance. The basketball injury, I don't know about that one. Probably though. And the afro with the pick, I asked my dad (he used to rock one)~he said it was to keep his afro nice and fluffy~uh, yeah.....and the straws? That's just plain stupid. I've seen it also, makes no sense to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Kesha26492, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Randy
    The only significance to where I put my Afro pick is that it's my personal preference. Where better to put it than in my hair? I'm gonna use it again! Carrying it in my front pocket is rather uncomfortable. Carrying it in the back is not only impractical but sort of silly lookin'. Should I keep it in my shirt pocket with a plastic protector? Leave it at home? I can't do that, because then you'd be asking, 'Why do I see so many black men with uncombed Afros?'

User Detail :  

Name : Randy, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Inglewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Artist/Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

L-deSouza-Henry
    Participant
    I agree that most of these things are fads, no different than these 'Goth' or 'punk' looks. However, my husband chews straws all the time and has since I've know him. I think it comforts him in some strange way, like the way some people chew their nails. I've never heard of this being a fad, though.

User Detail :  

Name : L-deSouza-Henry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 24, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : CSR, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

LSD22604
    Participant
    It's a statement that "I'm black." It's already obvious by looking at me, but with so many people who don't want to be black or who, because of their jobs, are unable to identify with that expression of blackness, an afro is making a declaration. Especially if you have that metal pick with the fist and the peace sign.

User Detail :  

Name : LSD22604, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, 

LSD
    Participant
    Actually, I started that band-aid thing back in 99. I had got into a fight in high school and this dude scratched me (like a ...). Anyway, I had gotten these Rugrat band-aids for my nephew who was staying with me at the time. My girl friend had one of those 'Talkin Tommy' burger king watches, so I had to lavishly coordinate. Thats the real deal. LSD p.s. And thats why people say that Nelly looks like me, instead of vice versa.

User Detail :  

Name : LSD, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Alameda, State : CA Country : United States, 

Angela
    Participant
    What you see is a culture, my friend, just not one you care much for. If you don't believe me, ask all the white execs who are watching what all the young black men and women are wearing. Then watch how quickly it shows up in the department stores. Being an African American, I do not agree with everything I see in my community, but I can respect and admire the level of creativity that comes out of our community and that mysteriously finds its way into the mainstream. Hit the white suburbs late on a Friday or Saturday night, find the mall and park your car, and you will quickly become educated as you watch all the white kids practicing how to be black. It's a hoot. Also understand that most African Americans can only trace their roots back to the fields their ancestors slaved on. So whatever you received from your other roots, thank God for it. But don't judge.

Actually, it's all a fashion fad, as with any other group. If they knew that pants are worn this way by men in the prison system and that it means 'I am available for you to have sex with,' they probably would not do it. Maybe they saw an ex-con on the street who forgot to pull his pants up. Oops! There goes a fad. That's how they get started.

User Detail :  

Name : Angela, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 30, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jordan
    Participant
    Putting it in your back pocket would be silly looking to you. I'm sure in your afro is less silly looking. Think before you talk/type.

User Detail :  

Name : Jordan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Security/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jordan
    Participant
    Your response couldn't have been more right. I'm glad somebody is realistic and has a good insight when it comes to this sort of a topic

User Detail :  

Name : Jordan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Security/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Brandy19404
    Participant
    Honey, it's just what's in style. People of all colors do these things. The styles will change and these things will stop.

User Detail :  

Name : Brandy19404, City : lexington, State : KY Country : United States, 

Lisa22745
    Participant
    Reading your response made me laugh not because of the stereotypical labels attached to certain races but because I also think it is stupid not to think before doing something. If you want to dress a certain way, you should at least consider the fads' history or how it came to be that so and so wears his pants below the waist. It's sorta sad that a lot of people choose to follow the conventions of society without first thinking about its roots.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22745, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michelle
    Participant
    The so called band-aid trend was not started by rapper Nelly, there were others before him who did it just for fashion, The straw chewing i don't get that myself.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : NW, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.