Anger in the electronic underground

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Torley W.
    Why is it that 'underground' electronic musicians are so prejudiced against their peers (i.e. Prodigy) who make it big and earn lots of money, despite the fact the music they continue to make is often consistent in quality with their older work?

User Detail :  

Name : Torley W., Race : Asian, Age : 17, City : Vernon, British Columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Technomusicologist, 

Jade21051
    Participant
    I am not too familiar with "electronica" specifically, but am familiar with underground scenes in general. First, underground musicians are sub-corporate - the money they earn does not go into corporate hands. Underground musicians don't make as much money and are seen as more legitimate - in it for the music, the art, rather than the money.

By hitting it big with a major label, corporate business comes into play, and the once-underground artist is seen as a sell-out, mainstreamer and money-hungry, no longer caring for the art.

User Detail :  

Name : Jade21051, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Truong, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College student, 

Andy-M
    Participant
    How about the simple answer of jealousy? Pop music is popular because people like it, and people buy what they like. I suspect that the underground groups are simply jealous that their art is not as appreciated as that of the popular groups.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy-M, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.