Am I a ‘white girl’ in a black girl’s body?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Whitney
    No. You, as a person, are unique. Everyone is different. All my life I have been called a 'sellout' because my nose 'is white'. This meaning my nose is straight and pointy. Not the stereotypical 'wide' nose of black people. All people come in all shapes and there are many noses to each ethnicity. Also, my hair is thick, straight, and has a lot of body -- 'white'. I can also speak grammatically correct English--doesn't mean anything other than that. I, too, can speak in a Southern, or (ebonically) 'black' accent. Just because you can/do speak properly doesn't mean you're a sellout. It just means you (also) know and can utilize proper speech. Nothing more. Nothing less. You are only a sellout if you aren't true to yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Whitney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 25, City : Tunica, State : MS Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

June28696
    Participant
    Honey, you are a sellout. Plain and sure.

User Detail :  

Name : June28696, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Christy
    Participant
    Did you change your hair to fit in or do you really prefer it that way? If you did it to make yourself more physically appealing to yourself and to others, then you're definitely not a sell out. If you did it to fit in, then you are. As for your voice, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The way I talk to my friends is different than the way I talk to my professors, grandparents, bosses. I assume that it's normal.

User Detail :  

Name : Christy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : american, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : starving college student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Antonio
    Participant
    You are not a white girl in a black girl's body. You are just mature and have a decent education. Other kids ridicule you because you don't want to be ignorant. Your hair is your hair...even if you 'tamed it'. Besides there is no such thing as 'ebonics'....you just speak proper English....is there a 'wasponics'...or 'chiconics'?

User Detail :  

Name : Antonio, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : military, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Steve
    Participant
    I really get tired of this crap about African-Americans who speak in proper English 'acting white'. Afftene, you are not a sell out. You are a young girl who is educated (your English teachers taught you well), mature (you question yourself), and follows your heart, not the lastest fad (you choose to experiment). The sell outs are the ones who can't define for themselves what it means to be black because they never picked up a book on black History to learn about our rich culture and heritage. The sell outs are the drug dealers and thieves who make a living destroying our communities instead of using their talents to build them up. Be yourself. We come in all shapes, shades, sizes, and temperments. No one holds the key to blackness.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 30, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Abby
    Participant
    I think people associate 'proper' talking like they do on the TV news with white people because that's who is on TV so much. Think of how many TV newspeople are white and how many are black and how they all talk. I live in the South, and let me tell you, most white people do NOT talk like that. We aren't all Katie Couric. Your proper voice is your professional voice--I talk way more professional in job interviews and on the phone than I do when I'm just gossiping with my family and friends. No labels necessary.

User Detail :  

Name : Abby, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 26, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.