African Americans disliking my “black” clothes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Jules
    Participant
    I am a white teenager and wear 'black' clothing, like Fubu, Sean John, Phat Farm, School of Hard Knocks, etc. Why do some African Americans dislike it when I wear these clothes? I might wear a leather jacket, or a pair of shoes with a special material that might be seen as 'ghetto,' and I am a little worried about being harrassed.

User Detail :  

Name : Jules, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 15, City : East Hampton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Erin
    Participant
    I can only speak from my experience, but it seems to me that most black Americans really don't care. If you're surrounded by people who are going to pick on you or harrass you because of your dress, please understand that these people are very immature. You're young now, so you probably will get a lot of that. But as you get older, it should cease. Also understand that if the people who say or do things to you don't accept you now, they probably wouldn't accept you regardless of what you wear or how you talk. It's not your problem. Be yourself. If people don't like it, too bad. There are people who will accept you on terms other than your clothing.

User Detail :  

Name : Erin, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 20, City : Fort Lauderdale, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

LazyRed
    As an African American, I don't care that you are wearing those clothes, especially if you listen to hip hop like I do. I can tell you that some African Americans feel that white people shouldn't wear those clothes because they are designed by African Americans. Like FUBU, which stands for 'For Us By Us' - meaning the clothes are made for African Americans by African Americans.

User Detail :  

Name : LazyRed, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Full-time college student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Elle
    Participant
    When I read your post, the first thing I thought of was the 'acting and talking black or white' issue because your question is along the same lines. First, let me clarify your choice of words: you are not wearing 'black clothes.' You are wearing clothes created by a designer who happens to be African American. There is nothing wrong with you wearing clothes by African-American designers. Those in the dominant group (whites) have been appropriating aspects that are attributed to the African-American culture since forever. However, there is something wrong with you wearing the clothing if you are trying to be someone other than yourself. Clothing is nothing more than self-expression.

I don't know why some African Americans would have a problem with you wearing clothes created by African Americans, unless they ignorantly perceive your self-expression as misappropriating the African-American culture or not being yourself.

Lastly, I would refrain from using the term 'ghetto' to describe clothing or anything else you may attribute to African-American culture. It is a pejorative term and considered offensive to those who live in public housing. I encourage you to look up the word and how it relates to the Jewish culture.

User Detail :  

Name : Elle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Black educated at home mom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sweetwuzzy
    Participant
    Thank you for putting money in the pockets of black-owned companies like Sean John and FUBU. But don't you know FUBU stands for "For us, by Us'? Don't wear clothing that says you are black on it. That's disrespect.

User Detail :  

Name : Sweetwuzzy, City : Allentown, State : PA Country : United States, 

Victoria
    Participant
    It sounds like the kids at your school are just messing with you, because that's what kids do unfortunately. Not a big deal in the real world. And please don't let anyone tell you it's offensive for a white kid to wear FUBU because of the 'for us, by us' stuff. Trust me, FUBU is much more interested in the color green. They want EVERYONE to buy their clothes and anyone who thinks differently is just naive. Stick to your own style.

User Detail :  

Name : Victoria, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

faye21780
    Participant
    It's Urban clothing.

User Detail :  

Name : faye21780, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Tony
    If you research it, you will find that FUBU and many other entities people think are black-owned are no longer owned by black people.

User Detail :  

Name : Tony, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 20, City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

William
    'Dont wear clothing that says you are black on it' Are you for real? Those designers for FUBU were practically begging whites to wear it. Dont forget that white Americans could call the U.S.A. FUBU. For us by us.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

faye
    Participant
    the word is Urban clothes not black clothes. Where i live, anyone could wear anything they want.It really depends on how you wear it.Do not try to imitate the rap videos,create your own style.

User Detail :  

Name : faye, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 15, City : brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : school, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    I am what you might call a 'RedNeck' I was born and raised in a rural area, my family's been here for six generations now. First of all I dislike it when a white person wheres 'black' clothing. Especially FUBU. Recently the confederate flag has been banned from my school which the true and original meaning of the flag is not over racism or slavory at all, it was twisted by hate groups such as the KKK. FUBU standing for 'For Us By Us' insinuates anti-white, and is ment for blacks designed by blacks (Not Whites). If they ban the confederate flag I'm bringin' FUBU down with It!

User Detail :  

Name : Robert E. Lee, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 16, City : Intercourse, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : School, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Simone-Prim28008
    Participant
    I am a 18 year old black/female and personally sometimes I get offended and sometimes I dont care. Let me tell you why I care sometimes, first of all some white people and other races talk all kinds of stuff about black people, but turn around and wear our stuff and talk like us and that my dear pissess me off. Why I dont care sometimes well cause on the other hand some white people and other races respect the fact that you cant just talk stuff than turn around and wanna be just like us. As long as you aint disrespecting me I have no problem. Lets get to why other black people hate it, well because all our lives we have had whites and other races take credit for what we have created or said. Basically to make a long story short we are tired of not getiing credit for stuff like stupid and we cannot think of anything ourselves we deserve respect just like the rest of you'll.

User Detail :  

Name : Simone-Prim28008, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Albuquerque, State : NM Country : United States, 

James-W20870
    Participant
    The 'For Us By Us' in FUBU doesn't really mean for Black people by Black people anymore. Since the widestream adoption of it, it has been widened to mean for the followers of hip-hop culture by the followers of hip-hop culture. It's intent did start as a label for Black people by Black designers but that was because outside Karl Kani, there weren't any. There was never an intent that white people shouldn't wear the clothes. This reminds me of the Tommy Hilfiger/Liz Clairborne urban legend.

User Detail :  

Name : James-W20870, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I think it's so sad that African Americans who are fortunate enough to own lucrative businesses are selling them (and selling out) to people who are not African American. One of the many reasons why we cannot gain the political and social leverage that other ethnic groups, many relatively new to this country, have managed to gain.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw32121, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 43, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.