African-American Women’s Modern Hairstyles

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Alex
    Participant
    Lately I've noticed on the subway that most Black women have straightened hair. This is by no means a conclusion derived by scientific study, but it seems fairly consistent. When I read the autobiography of Malcolm X, he made a lot of hay out or black men 'processing' their hair in what he damned as an attempt to be more white. Is their any similar controversy in the black community today regarding women's hair? Also, why is this straight hair so ubiquitous? My wife (who is Puerto Rican so what does she know) says it's because one can't do much with African-American natural hair. I feel like that might only be in the context of meing surrounded by so many whites. Who knows what you might do with your hair if you didn't have to watch commercials of white girls tossing their hair all night and day?

User Detail :  

Name : Alex, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Temp, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anonymous
    Inactive
    As a black woman who proudly wears her hair the way it naturally grows out of her head I respectfully say that your wife is wrong. I can pretty much do with my hair anything I want to do. There is some controversy about black women straightening their hair nowadays because many women have decided to stop with the chemicals. Culturally the reason black women feel the need to straighten their hair just goes way back to wanting to be more acceptable to white people. It was so ingrained it continues today and they don't even realize it. While straight, shiny "orderly" hair is pretty it is by no means the standard of beauty so I love my big, soft, kinky, curly hair. More black women jut need to learn to love themselves.

User Detail :  

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.