African-American? Why?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

H.
    I've always thought it was strange as well. African-American makes it sound like blacks are recent immigrants who are somewhat less than 'real' Americans. I know that I would be offended to be called a 'European-American'. I am American and have no ties to any other continent or country.

User Detail :  

Name : H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : white Southerner, Religion : Methodist, Age : 25, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Charlene32237
    Participant
    I'd have to disagree that blacks, African-Americans are treated better in America than in other countries. My grandfather lived in France and always went on and on about how well he was treated there. Europeans were apparently more open-minded and tolerant of difference. In the U.S. people seem to have this 'cookie-cutter' mentality, 'same is good, different is bad.'

User Detail :  

Name : Charlene32237, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 37, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Fuzzy
    In my youth, calling someone Black was considered an insult. Back then we were Negro or Colored. Only very radical people (like my parents) called themselves 'Black'. Because of that upbringing, I prefer 'Black' to 'African-American'. Don't think it's a question of one being more correct (politically or otherwise)than the other. Certainly don't get upset if someone calls me one instead of the other.

User Detail :  

Name : Fuzzy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brenda
    Participant
    Jennifer, thank you very much for your posting. You said everything to that yahoo that I would have liked to, but couldn't quite put into words. I would also like to apologize for their ignorance, and mine, for that matter. We 'white people' are all still very ignorant of our own privilege, but some of us are trying very hard to understand what that means. I have committed myself to understanding this thing called racism and how to dismantle it - first within myself and then society. I just wanted you to know that this person and others alike do not speak for all of us. I am sure this is a pretty lame posting, but I felt I had to say something - why is it that those oppressed seem to be the only voices of defense we hear sometimes? Please, stand up with your fellow sisters and brothers and erase the hate.

User Detail :  

Name : Brenda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : European-American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Intern, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Gregory H.
    I'd like to thank you too. Every one of your postings that I've read has been right on point, so sometimes when I'm getting ready to write a response to someone, I check first to see if you've already responded--if so, case closed. Keep it up, sister.

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory H., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Gregory H.
    Thanks Lesley, for your comments--I think that we all know that certain people don't speak for all who the purport to represent, but it's so nice to have someone actually stand up and say so explicitly. I truly appreciate your words and thought and just the very existence of people like you. Thanks again

User Detail :  

Name : Gregory H., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    Dear Lesley(and I say 'dear' because I mean it, not as a traditional opening salvo.), please don't equate yourself with this fool to the extent that you must appologize for him. No one is responsible for his ignorance but him. I hope it's true that no one is too old to learn, but if not, the fact that you and people like you are out there makes his ignorance irrelevant. Keep fighting for justice, sister. I am with you. You are not inherently bad because you are white, just as I am not inherently bad because I am black. The fact that you spoke out against the ignorance that has long victimized the citizens of this country of all races is hope for the future! __________________________________________

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monica R.
    Participant
    There is nothing lame about supporting someone who echoes you sentiments. I would like to thank both of you for your postings it gives me faith that things may eventually improve. :)

User Detail :  

Name : Monica R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Campbell McGregor
    Participant
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that opinion polls have shown that most black people in the United States prefer this term to African American. There is the problem of what term we use to describe all people ultimately of sub-Saharan racial origin, including the black populations in the Caribbean and parts of Europe. 'African' is problematic because many would assume this excludes these communities but includes North African Arabs and white South Africans.

User Detail :  

Name : Campbell McGregor, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : asperger's syndrome, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 43, City : Glasgow, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : school crossing patroller, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.