African-American? Why?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Alan J.
    Participant
    Why has it become politically correct to refer to a black American as an 'African-American'?

User Detail :  

Name : Alan J., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 41, City : Bishopville, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Training Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

K. Grant
    It has become politically correct to use the term 'African American' because we are of African and American origins. Additionally, using colors as names of an entire race (i.e. white, black, etc.) is unacceptable in modern culture.

User Detail :  

Name : K. Grant, Race : Black/African American, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    You wrote: "Because we, the whitey, changed our minds within the past decade..."
    You changed your mind? Hee hee, talk about delusions of grandeur!

"...allows them immediate access back into that country with no questions asked."
    Africa is a CONTINENT, bubba. What, out sick when they taught 4th grade geography?

I won't comment further. You RAHOWA types are good for a laugh and not much else.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Natasha20104
    Participant
    People of other races and ethnicities identify themselves that way. They call themselves Japanese-Americans or Chinese-Americans, not 'yellow' Americans. They say 'I'm Cherokee' or 'I'm Meewak,' not 'I'm red.' African-American is more descriptive than just plain old 'black.' When I call myself Afro-Caribbean, you get a much better idea of who I am than if I say I'm black.

User Detail :  

Name : Natasha20104, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : receptionist, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Bob F.
    In my opinion it is because they do not want to be called American, but they do not have the courage to go back to their homeland. Truth is, black folk are treated and tolerated better in America than in any other country, including the continent of Africa. They are filled with self-loathing and denial. Like it or not, they have not reached their 'awakening,' and will not in our lifetime. I am not degrading black folk, rather it is just the way it is, in my opinion.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob F., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 67, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Miranda20485
    Participant
    It boils down to African- mericans wanting to be identified by ethnicity. With, say, German-Americans, Irish-Americans, even Native Americans, you get a sense of where folks came from by those nomenclatures, and an idea of their history here. Just saying 'black' is almost this amorphous, 'Well, they're heeere' sort of identification, which isn't good. Even if a lot of African Americans don't know the specific country or region their ancestors came from in Africa, it's important for everyone to know there is a context, and not just these 'colored people' in the United States who popped out of nowhere with no history.

User Detail :  

Name : Miranda20485, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 31, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Production Coordinator, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa
    I have also noticed that in the media it is the politically correct trend to classify (sometimes incorrectly) 'blacks' as 'African-Americans.' As with a former question of mine on this site, I can't understand why people often use such terms as 'African American' or 'people of color' (the latter which I find offensive). If I may also lump people into a category for a moment, none of my many 'black' friends ever refer to themselves with either term - they, as well as most other people I choose to associate with, refer to themselves as individuals; they don't try to align and segregate themselves with certain segments of the population that may not (and usually do not) at all describe or fit who they are. In fact, 'African-American' would seem to denote that the people using the term are from Africa, which they are not. All or some of their ancestors may very well have been from that continent, but that is irrelevant. For instance, some of my ancestors are from the European continent (from various countries) and some are from the American continent (a particular aboriginal tribe). I do not parade around in any attempt to be 'ethnically distinct' by calling myself a 'Mostly-European-American.' I am from America, and I am an American; where some of my ancestors came from is interesting, historical and culturally and ethnically pleasing to me, but nonetheless I am an American, and proud of it. Why anyone would want to owe their loyalty to a continent (not even a country or an ethnicity) where they most likely have never been and most likely do not know a great deal about is beyond me.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 19, City : Raytown, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : college student, 

Dave-D25960
    Participant
    Because we, the whitey, changed our minds within the past decade. Calling them black Americans would label them as full Americans. Since we have hope that they might one day go back to Africa, calling them 'African Americans' allows them immediate access back into that country with no questions asked.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave-D25960, Gender : M, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, 

Ife
    It is a matter of respect. In the past and still today the word "black" denotes evil and anything bad, so African Americans do not want to be associated with a negative term. I am African, and I do not like being referred to as black because my skin is brown and not black. Nevertheless, I can tolerate the word (black), but the term I abhor and find offensive is "colored."

User Detail :  

Name : Ife, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jay
    Participant
    I have been wanting to ask this same question for a long time now. My 'ancestors' came over from Europe in the 17 and 1800s, and I gather that blacks were brought from Africa well BEFORE that...so aren't I closer to being 'European-American' than blacks are to being 'African-American'? But I dont have to designate my relatives were from Europe! I dont call myself a 'Gay-American' or 'Heterosexually-Challenged' because I dont feel the need to single out that one facet of myself. And I am not really 'white' either...I'm kind of pinkish, but 'white' suits me fine. To me this is just another way that blacks contradict themselves...they want to be equal, but many continue to make themselves a separate entity who are totally different. Aren't we all just Americans?

User Detail :  

Name : Jay, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 24, City : Asheville, State : NC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Rhiannon
    This is the most blatantly, overtly racist post I've ever seen on Y?Forum. I am sorry you have lived 67 years and feel this much animosity towards anybody.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhiannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 29, City : Eden Prairie, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Professor, Social class : Middle class, 

Rhiannon
    Is this pointy-hat week at Y?Forum?

User Detail :  

Name : Rhiannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 29, City : Eden Prairie, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Professor, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael
    Participant
    Let me pose this question- is someone who is Caucasian, whose ancestors have lived in Africa for a hundred years, who then moves to America an African-American? This is a serious question, since there are white people of British, Dutch, etc. descent in places like Zimbabwe and South Africa. It is because of this that it seems the label 'African-American' as a synonym for 'black person' is flawed. I understand that they are descendants of colonialism, etc. but that is not the issue of this question. The fact is that Africa has people of may races and ethnicities, from the Middle Eastern Arab people of the north in Egypt, Libya, Morocco, etc to of course descendants of black tribes and European descended Caucasians, some with roots going back several hundred years. So what really is an African American?

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : Manassas, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : History teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kent26472
    Participant
    Those who suggest the blacks should 'go back' seem to have missed the point. If their reasoning were accepted, these whites should be required to return to Europe. Who is to say where anyone belongs in the world?

User Detail :  

Name : Kent26472, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 57, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Melodie
    Participant
    Simple: Because that is what we are! Also, it is wrong to group everyone with similar skin tone as one people. For example, people from the Caribbean are especially sensitive to being labeled as black. They will let you know in a heartbeat where exactly they are from. And there is nothing wrong with that. So why shouldn't we be proud of and demand recognition about our African ancestory? It's just as wrong as labeling all Spanish-speaking people Hispanics. They have different backgrounds and come from different countries.

User Detail :  

Name : Melodie, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.