Acceptance of a Messianic Jew

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

David
    Participant
    Once a Jew, always a Jew. According to halachah, Jewish law, once you decide to convert to another religion, you will be an apikoros, which roughly translates to 'apostate.' Practically, many Jews will not accept you as a Jew once you have converted. As the other poster explained, Messianic Judaism is not Judaism by any stretch of the imagination. It is a version of Christianity that has been packaged to appeal to Jews.

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Religion : Jewish, Age : 34, City : Cambridge, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : scientist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emma R.
    Participant
    Jews believe that the Messiah has not yet arrived, and Christians believe that Jesus was the Messiah, so the term 'Messianic Jew' is a total contradiction. If you believe that Jesus was the Messiah (the Messianic part of the term,) you meet the definition of a Christian, and specifically do NOT meet the definition of Jew. If you believe that Jesus was a great teacher but that the Messiah has not yet arrived, you meet the definition of a Jew, but not of a Christian. Take your pick; you can't be both. Messianic 'Judaism' is simply Christianity repackaged to appeal to Jews. Nothing wrong with Christianity, or being Christian, but you can't be both. Sorry!

User Detail :  

Name : Emma R., Gender : F, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

E. Evans
    Participant
    I consider 'messianic Judaism' to be a cultish and thinly veiled attempt by fundamentalist protestants to convert Jews. My understanding is that most Jews for Jesus congregations receive funding from Protestant missionary concerns. I find all attempts to convert my people very offensive. The very existence of Jews for Jesus gets me very angry every time I think about it. It is spitting on the graves of my ancestors who were burned at the steak during the crusades, who were killed in the holocaust, that is the depth of the loathing I have for Jews for Jesus. If you plan on joining their group I wouldn't make mention of it to regular Jewish people.

User Detail :  

Name : E. Evans, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Troy, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Database Developer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.